AOPA and ATC Privatization

Old September 8th 03, 07:25 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message

My understanding:
The system as it is currently financed is from fuel and gate (ticket)
taxes. The system is not only self supporting, but actually
accumulates money. Unfortunately the way the system is set up the FAA
has to justify the money they spend as if it comes from the general
fund. Only those who fly and use aviation fuel are paying in to the
system, not he general taxpayer.

It is one of the few government agencies that has been self
supporting, even if it does have some problems. Many of which are due
to the way congress lets them have their own money.

My understanding is that Air Traffic is about 85% funded by the trust fund,
at least it was several years ago. It shouldn't be funded exclusively from
aviation taxes because Air Traffic also provides services to the military.

Old September 8th 03, 02:53 PM
Dan Luke

"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

Someone did a study and found that subtracting
all the investments from the net profits of all the
airlines in the entire history
of the industry, the result is negative.
So, what is the objective
of the industry?

Jobs and freedom to travel for the People.

LOL. Thank you, Chairman Mao...uh, Tarver.

Old September 8th 03, 03:46 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Dan Luke" c172rgATbellsouthDOTnet wrote in message
"Tarver Engineering" wrote:

Someone did a study and found that subtracting
all the investments from the net profits of all the
airlines in the entire history
of the industry, the result is negative.
So, what is the objective
of the industry?

Jobs and freedom to travel for the People.

LOL. Thank you, Chairman Mao...uh, Tarver.

There is no right to travel in China.

Old September 8th 03, 04:03 PM
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 15:54:36 GMT, "Chip Jones"
wrote in Message-Id:
k.net:

Fighting this battle on the field of 2007, we will be 69 ATC towers closer
to ATC user fees.

Perhaps this is the reason:

AVflash Volume 9, Number 37a September 8, 2003

CONTRACT TOWERS SAFE, EFFICIENT SAYS OIG
Sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for. The National
Air Traffic Controllers Association (NATCA), which is in a pitched
battle with the FAA over the proposed privatization of VFR control
towers, recently asked the Office of the Inspector General (OIG)
to compare the performance of 71 FAA-staffed towers, 69 of which
are potentially on the auction block, with the 189 VFR towers
already in private hands. Inspector General Ken Mead produced what
amounted to a glowing endorsement of the contract towers as
cost-efficient, safe operations that cost taxpayers about $173
million a year less to run than if they were in government hands.
Contract towers, according to the OIG, have fewer staff and pay
them less but they also manage to make fewer mistakes than
FAA-staffed facilities.
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#185641
--

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,
Old September 8th 03, 04:05 PM
Ron Natalie

Heard the NATCA ad claiming the US air safety is being auctioned
off to the lowest bidder this morning. I've never heard a more distored,
designed to inflame, pack of half-truths since the last election.
My opinion of them is lower than it was before.

Old September 8th 03, 04:12 PM
Mike Rapoport

Actually those companies make up perhaps 25% of the market. Semicondutor
market will be about $170B this year. Also note that MOT's semiconductor
business doesn't make money very often.

Mike
MU-2

"Tom S." wrote in message

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
ink.net...
There are profitable players but the industry as a whole is close to
breakeven. Add up all the up and down cycles.

Mike
MU-2

Considering these three make up about 80% of the industry (with NEC I
believe), that the rest could bring down the industry to "break even" is

not
quite believeable.

IIRC, Intel has never taken a loss, TI is much the same (except for two
years in the last 25). Motorola took it's biggest hit in the cell phone
arena.

TI, Intel and Motorola are profitless? I'm dumping my stock...where's

my
broker?

Old September 8th 03, 04:27 PM
Dennis O'Connor

That the officers of a corporation get huge salaries, zero interest loans,
corporate cars, condos, hot tubs, bennies, and a golden parachute... What
did you think the objective of a corporation is?
hint: (think Enron / think WorldCom / think hard)

Denny
"Everett M. Greene" wrote in message
.. So, what is the objective
of the industry?

Old September 8th 03, 04:31 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Heard the NATCA ad claiming the US air safety is being auctioned
off to the lowest bidder this morning. I've never heard a more distored,
designed to inflame, pack of half-truths since the last election.
My opinion of them is lower than it was before.

There is nothing new in what they are doing. The attempt to keep ATC a
1950's operation has been going strong for 30 years.

Old September 8th 03, 06:45 PM
Chip Jones

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Heard the NATCA ad claiming the US air safety is being auctioned
off to the lowest bidder this morning. I've never heard a more distored,
designed to inflame, pack of half-truths since the last election.
My opinion of them is lower than it was before.

Funny Ron, that's the way I feel about the current Republican Administration
and their claim that all of these "little" towers on the block are "rural".
Maybe you could pick out the distorted "half truths" in the NATCA ad and
debunk them here on the forum.

Chip, ZTL

Old September 8th 03, 06:52 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Chip Jones" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Heard the NATCA ad claiming the US air safety is being auctioned
off to the lowest bidder this morning. I've never heard a more

distored,
designed to inflame, pack of half-truths since the last election.
My opinion of them is lower than it was before.

Funny Ron, that's the way I feel about the current Republican

Administration
and their claim that all of these "little" towers on the block are

"rural".

It is a Gore plan for privatization, Chip.

Maybe you could pick out the distorted "half truths" in the NATCA ad and
debunk them here on the forum.

Pot kettle.