PHIL BOYER: 40% OF AOPA MEMBERS ARE SIGNIFICANTLY DECREASING THEIR FLYING DUE TO FUEL PRICES

Old June 15th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default PHIL BOYER: 40% OF AOPA MEMBERS ARE SIGNIFICANTLY DECREASING THEIR FLYING DUE TO FUEL PRICES

While I have mixed feelings about the current run-up in automobile and
aviation fuel prices, I can see where increased fuel costs are going
to significantly impact recreational GA flying operations. The high
price of maintaining flying currency for private pilots has always
been a deterrent to participation, but now, with little in the way of
wage increases for the past several years, and the ever increasing
number and size of Temporary Flight Restrictions, the doubling of fuel
prices over the last year or so can only contribute to the declining
number of GA flights. But AOPA has a plan to swell the ranks of
private pilots and the resources to implement it.

Exclusive Audio Interviews from the AOPA Fly-In

PHIL BOYER: 40% OF AOPA MEMBERS ARE SIGNIFICANTLY DECREASING THEIR
FLYING DUE TO FUEL PRICES
(http://www.avweb.com/alm?podcast20080609&kw=AVwebAudio)
AVweb's Mary Grady was on location covering AOPA's annual fly-in
and open house in Frederick, Md., on Saturday. Mary brought her
recorder along and caught up with AOPA President Phil Boyer, who
commented on a range of topics, including the latest on user fees
and AOPA research on skyrocketing fuel prices and their bearing on
members' flying activities and new pilot starts.

Click here

(http://www.avweb.com/podcast/files/2..._AOPAFlyIn.mp3)
to download. (12.8 MB, 14:00)
Old June 15th 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 16:46:35 GMT, Larry Dighera
wrote:

[...]

Ya know, as BS as these oil and fuel prices are, it'll be fun to watch
the airlines continue to dance and wave at GA causing their delays and
other scheduling issues when significant portions of the GA fleet are
decreasing usage due to the cost and airlines themselves are slashing
their own schedules.
Old June 15th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:
While I have mixed feelings about the current run-up in automobile and
aviation fuel prices,

Why do you have mixed feelings about it? My feelings about it are not at
all mixed.
Old June 15th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 15:42:56 -0400, Peter Clark
wrote in
:

Ya know, as BS as these oil and fuel prices are, it'll be fun to watch
the airlines continue to dance and wave at GA causing their delays and
other scheduling issues when significant portions of the GA fleet are
decreasing usage due to the cost and airlines themselves are slashing
their own schedules.

Oh, the airline lobby will continue to push their ridiculous assertion
that GA is the source of the flying public's airline flight delays,
despite its absurdity, because the public is so uninformed and
apathetic that it will still resonate with them. And Congress will
continue to swallow it, because they dance to the tune ($) of the
lobbyists.

What the air carriers and airliner manufacturers actually object to,
IMO, are the former 1st-class corporate pax who have decided to switch
to fractional/charter GA flights rather than continue to be victims of
the TSA/DHS, and obscene airline scheduling practices, not
private/recreational operations.

I look for the dramatic increase in fuel prices to finally force
Congress and the president to implement a reasonable alternative
energy policy for our nation. That will be about the sole benefit
increased fuel prices will precipitate. I expect their effect on
price inflation, the value of the dollar, and civil unrest will be
devastating. And then there's the issue of nearly a trillion dollars
in credit card debt in the US. Defaults and personal bankruptcies
will be rampant. David Brooks mentioned debt recently:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/10/op...on&oref=slogin
The social norms and institutions that encouraged frugality and
spending what you earn have been undermined. The institutions that
encourage debt and living for the moment have been strengthened.
The country’s moral guardians are forever looking for decadence
out of Hollywood and reality TV. But the most rampant decadence
today is financial decadence, the trampling of decent norms about
how to use and harness money.

The deterioration of financial mores has meant two things. First,
it’s meant an explosion of debt that inhibits social mobility and
ruins lives. Between 1989 and 2001, credit-card debt nearly
tripled, soaring from $238 billion to $692 billion. By last year,
it was up to $937 billion, the report said.

Second, the transformation has led to a stark financial
polarization. On the one hand, there is what the report calls the
investor class. It has tax-deferred savings plans, as well as an
army of financial advisers. On the other hand, there is the
lottery class, people with little access to 401(k)’s or financial
planning but plenty of access to payday lenders, credit cards and
lottery agents. ... which some people call a tax on stupidity.
Old June 15th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 16:11:12 -0400, kontiki
wrote in :

Larry Dighera wrote:
While I have mixed feelings about the current run-up in automobile and
aviation fuel prices,

Why do you have mixed feelings about it?

Although I believe it will hurt a lot of workers and small businesses,
it should facilitate a more sound energy policy for our nation. It
will also make telecommuting and teleconferencing move into the
mainstream. That should have a positive effect on the environment,
but resourceful marketers and corporations may use the public's
distress as an excuse to build more nuclear and coal fired electrical
generating facilities, instead of moving toward wind and solar.

My feelings about it are not at all mixed.

You probably have to drive a considerable distance to work every day.

Old June 15th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:

Although I believe it will hurt a lot of workers and small businesses,

Yeah, who cares about them.... they're just the backbone of the country.

it should facilitate a more sound energy policy for our nation.

what energy policy? give us an example of one Larry. And don't use
the word 'they" because I hate that.

It will also make telecommuting and teleconferencing move into the
mainstream. That should have a positive effect on the environment,
but resourceful marketers and corporations may use the public's
distress as an excuse to build more nuclear and coal fired electrical
generating facilities, instead of moving toward wind and solar.

My feelings about it are not at all mixed.

You probably have to drive a considerable distance to work every day.

Wrong. I drive 9 miles to work, and usually drive my motorcycle
so I can handle it. I just think its stupid to bankrupt a nation
for the sake of a religion... and observe nation that *are* producing
energy soak up money from hard working Americans.... when it doesn't
have to be that way.

But hey... why should I care? I only drive a motorcycle 9 miles.
Screw everybody else. That's my energy policy.

Old June 15th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
romeomike

Larry Dighera wrote:

You probably have to drive a considerable distance to work every day.

C,mon, It's a little more complex than the cost of driving to work.
Old June 15th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Martin Hotze[_2_]

kontiki schrieb:
I just think its stupid to bankrupt a nation
for the sake of a religion... and observe nation that *are* producing
energy soak up money from hard working Americans.... when it doesn't
have to be that way.

1) What do you want to do? It's their oil. For sure it is not yours or ours.
2) What will you/we (in 1 or in 10 or in 50 generations?) do when all
the oil is gone?

#m
Old June 15th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki[_2_]

Martin Hotze wrote:
kontiki schrieb:
I just think its stupid to bankrupt a nation
for the sake of a religion... and observe nation that *are* producing
energy soak up money from hard working Americans.... when it doesn't
have to be that way.

1) What do you want to do? It's their oil. For sure it is not yours or
ours.

Sir, the United States has lots of oil, coal and gas resources. We
siply do not exploit them as other countries do. We just pay through
nose and make them rich.... and they are very happy. They are buying
up property in the US as we speak with the wealth they obtain.

2) What will you/we (in 1 or in 10 or in 50 generations?) do when all
the oil is gone?

Sir, yes, the oil (gas and coal) may perhaps be gone one day many years
hence. Hopefully we will have used what the sun provided in a wise way.
Either way, its there... in the earth. It is ours to be used for good
and to provide for a way of life. Other countries are utilizing their
resources rather effectively, wouldn't you say?

If the price of corn went up to $50 dollars an ear would you whine
and complain... starve yourself and say "the days of much corn are
gone, but that is good because the sun will burn out one day...."
or would you plant more corn and prosper?

Old June 15th 08, 11:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"kontiki" wrote in message

Why do you have mixed feelings about it? My feelings about it are not at all
mixed.

Obviously I hate to see good folks get hurt, and these fuel prices hurt our
entire economy.

On the other hand this will finally force us to use energy in a more rational
manner. For example; there is no reason why we should be commuting to work in
gas guzzlers. Have you noticed the difference in the car lots? I am finally
seeing more and more small cars displayed in the front row while the SUVs and
pickups are gradually being relegated to the back rows.

Vaughn

Fuel Prices and their Effect on Your Flying Jon Kraus Owning 69 May 8th 06 12:46 PM
Fuel prices Paul kgyy Owning 14 October 19th 05 10:55 PM
Fuel Prices Ross Richardson Owning 60 September 30th 05 02:06 AM
Fuel Prices ~R Rotorcraft 0 September 10th 05 03:56 PM
Fuel Prices S Green Piloting 0 May 9th 04 09:47 PM