Good sailplanes for tall pilots?

Old September 12th 16, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Good sailplanes for tall pilots?

UPDATE:

I went out to the soaring club this weekend and tried on a few gliders.

1. The LS-1f is totally out. We tried every possible contortion and adjustment. If I slide down low enough to close the canopy, my knees are buried in the back of the instrument panel, lifting it out of position. I'm not keen on the possibility of accidentally disconnecting pitot-static lines, either.
Old September 12th 16, 08:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Also, Disci and DG1000s and the ilk are pretty much out of the question. I'd go in on a share of one, but outright ownership is not in my budget.

And I'm not looking for acro in a 2-seater. Totally different pathways I'm willing to go down, so don't transpose my 2-seat requirements to a 1-seater and vice versa.
Old September 12th 16, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 3:23:47 AM UTC-4, wrote:
UPDATE:

I went out to the soaring club this weekend and tried on a few gliders.

1. The LS-1f is totally out. We tried every possible contortion and adjustment. If I slide down low enough to close the canopy, my knees are buried in the back of the instrument panel, lifting it out of position. I'm not keen on the possibility of accidentally disconnecting pitot-static lines, either.

2. The club has a G103 Twin II, which I can fit in.

3. The club also has a G102 Std III, which was tight but acceptable.

4. The club has an SGS 2-33, which I didn't bother sitting in because it's pretty obvious I will fit. And I'm not particularly keen on flying it much.

5. A club member has an SGS 1-26, which was very roomy and might be something I'd consider buying in order to get a lot of cheap flying under my belt before moving up to slicker ships. How does a Ka-6 compare to the fit of the 1-26? They seem very similar from the outside.

I think my biggest problem with fitting in slick single-seaters is going to be my long neck preventing canopy closure. That seemed to be the theme of the day, finding ways to lie as supine as possible to get the canopy closed.

As for chutes, since I don't intend to fly in competitions and the Grob hasn't had the AD mod to be flown acro, I feel no urgent need to get one.

A few of you mentioned the Lark; I thought they were all getting scrapped because of the life limit issue. Has anything improved on that front? A Lark might be a cheap thing to get and make available to the club.

Funny thing, the guys in the club who were helping me try on gliders started licking their chops at the idea that I might not fit in everything and thus would be flying tows most of the time! I guess there aren't a lot of guys willing to do that; but I don't mind.

FYI, I am in FL, not NY.

You might also look at the 1-34 if metal doesn't turn you off.
UH
Old September 12th 16, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 2:23:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
canopy closed.

As for chutes, since I don't intend to fly in competitions and the Grob hasn't had the AD mod to be flown acro, I feel no urgent need to get one.

OT: That's like saying you don't wear seatbelts in your car because you don't intend to have an accident.

Funny how some countries mandate chute wear in gliders. Wonder what they know that we don't...

But I'm being a hypocrite - when I fly club ships I only wear a chute when doing acro. Since I usually only fly the club ships to give rides and the club doesn't have a chute for the passenger, I don't wear mine. But in my glider? Every time; even for a pattern tow.

BOT: You might try an LS3/4/8/6. Lots of rudder pedal adjustment. Ventus Bs also have long cockpits - and the Cirrus is the same shape, I believe?

Good luck with your search!

Kirk
66
Old September 12th 16, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You should consider the LS4/6/8.
Large pilots usually completely remove the adjustable seat back. The rear cockpit bulkhead is flat and sloped just like a seatback. The LS series is designed to fly with a parachute.
Old September 12th 16, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Monday, September 12, 2016 at 10:04:37 AM UTC-4, wrote:
You should consider the LS4/6/8.
Large pilots usually completely remove the adjustable seat back. The rear cockpit bulkhead is flat and sloped just like a seatback. The LS series is designed to fly with a parachute.

In the lower price range, the Standard Jantar usually has PU paint and has a very lengthy cockpit - second biggest cockpit (after the Genesis) I've seen. Long arms would be a bonus - instrument pod is well forward. Usually one on Wings and Wheels.

The HpH304 Shark is also very big, but way out of your stated price range.

Ka6 - I'm 5'10" and found the Ka-6e to be snug for my height - had a 1/3 share for a year. 1-26's were bigger inside (though not particularly comfortable after an hour or two).

Old September 12th 16, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A Genesis 2 would be a good choice. Single seater though.holds a 155-242 lb. Pilot and is very roomy..
Old September 13th 16, 06:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

A few of you mentioned the Lark; I thought they were all getting scrapped because of the life limit issue. Has anything improved on that front? A Lark might be a cheap thing to get and make available to the club.

Not all Larks are subject to the life limit: there's on on W&W that is not and I flew it on Saturday, I kind of wish the club wasn't selling it!

MB
Old September 13th 16, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 4:56:40 AM UTC-7, wrote:

The hpaircraft.com link times out with nothing loading. I don't use Facebook.

The website was down a couple days last week. It's up now.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old September 13th 16, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 4:56:40 AM UTC-7, wrote:

The hpaircraft.com link times out with nothing loading. I don't use Facebook.

The website was down a couple days last week. It's up now. The latest data sheet is he

http://hpaircraft.com/hp-24/web_24_3view10.pdf

Actually, that data sheet omits the Front Electric Sustainer option that we are introducing on kit #6.

Thanks, Bob K.