World Record 31,000 feet

Old May 25th 04, 03:35 PM
BllFs6

Answer: In the studies I did, my test subjects pre-breathed 100% oxygen at
ground level for a full hour before going to altitude. They kept breathing
100% oxygen the whole time they were there (at 25, 30 or 40 thousand feet)
and they STILL got DCS.

Interesting...what were your "victims" equivalent ascent rates?

As an aside...there is a cave diving group....the WKPP (also known a GUE and
DIR) ...they do extreme duration/depth/penetration cave dives...and get "away
with it" on a continual basis (ie its not a one time stunt where they got
lucky).....we are talking a constant depth of 300 feet for 6 to 8 hours or
more.....and yet they still manage to start such dives in the morning and be
back on the surface totally decompressed by the end of daylight....and doppler
studies even show few/low bubbles...that group has worked out some interesting
deco theory that seems to really work well....so much so the Navy has even been
working with them to learn a few things...if your interesting in it I can
direct you to the right discussion groups....

take care

Blll
Old May 25th 04, 03:51 PM
Cliff Hilty

Now this is a great subject with lots of good info.
How about some more!

So, Are they any hard data on the ascent rates that
would be acceptable? Or the altitudes that they apply?
In other words If I were climbing in 1500fpm lift thru
18K to 24K am I likely to develop DCS? Are there any
warning signs before damage would occur? I used these
figures because I have been in them and have a hopt
to be in them again

Arnie,

1) Rates of ascent above, say, 100 fpm is way too fast
to equilibrate. Thus
you are building a supersaturation (increased body
burden of nitrogen). By
comparison, climbing is much slower, and you're exercising
the whole time
(thus moving blood around and clearing tissue compartments
more efficiently
than sedentary pilots). The recent record setting climb
of Everest from base
camp to summit in 8 hours, works out to about 24 fpm.
Rate of ascent is not particularly predictive or protective,
above a certain
threshold. Exercising and prebreathing are better than
adjusting rates of
ascent.

2) Trapped gas problems, like bowel gas, or gas in
the middle ears, or gas
under a new dental filling, are not DCS. They are certainly
aeromedical
issues of which pilots and others should be aware,
but not DCS. In military
altitude chambers, trainees are told not to try to
hold their gas out of
politeness, rather to let 'er rip.

nafod40 (Mike) also asked:
Does breathing 100% O2 from chocks to chocks help lower
the N2 in the
body? In other words, is there a secondary benefit
to breathing 100% O2
other than that you don't pass out?

Answer: In the studies I did, my test subjects pre-breathed
100% oxygen at
ground level for a full hour before going to altitude.
They kept breathing
100% oxygen the whole time they were there (at 25,
30 or 40 thousand feet)
and they STILL got DCS.

Even my inside observers, who prebreathed for two full
hours before ascent,
occasionally got DCS. They got it at a lower rate,
though. My most severe
cases of DCS came from this group, though (a case of
chokes: resolved
quickly in a hyperbaric chamber).

Short answer: prebreathing is good, but not perfect.

Thanks again.

Old May 25th 04, 05:11 PM
Paul Repacholi

nafod40 writes:

Does breathing 100% O2 from chocks to chocks help lower the N2 in
the body? In other words, is there a secondary benefit to breathing
100% O2 other than that you don't pass out?

Depends on the climb rate. The U2 presure suit has a fixed face plate
because the AC goes into a high rate climb as soon as it takes off and
the pilot needs to be on pure O2 for 30 odd minutes pre-flight.

Is there a good set of `decompresion tables' for flight?

--
Paul Repacholi 1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001 Kalamunda.
Old December 7th 04, 10:55 AM

http://www.zared.com/Health/Medicine...pace_Medicine/

Old December 7th 04, 04:56 PM
tango4

wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.zared.com/Health/Medicine...pace_Medicine/

Gesundheid!

Old December 8th 04, 03:20 AM
Bob Kibby

I do not understand the post references. The web link does not offer much
help either. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Bob Kibby "2BJK"
wrote in message
oups.com...
http://www.zared.com/Health/Medicine...pace_Medicine/

Old December 8th 04, 05:10 PM
Bob K.

Earlier, Bob Kibby wrote:

I do not understand the post references.
The web link does not offer much
help either. Thanks to anyone that can help.

It's a new form of SPAM (new to me, at least). They send a 'bot out to
exhume old Usenet threads with new unrelated posts that tries to get
you to their Web page.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.

gps to measure feet? brucrx Piloting 19 November 13th 04 03:33 AM
more radial fans like fw190? jt Military Aviation 51 August 28th 04 04:22 AM
Hiroshima/Nagasaki vs conventional B-17 bombing zxcv Military Aviation 55 April 4th 04 07:05 AM