1979 Tiger for Sale

Old August 24th 03, 12:17 PM
Mark T. Mueller

Ditto my numbers. I see 135+ routinely. I plan 10gph, and leaned out at
altitude can get slightly less at 2600 RPM.

Mark
AA-5B at HEF

"Javier Henderson" wrote in message
"Montblack" writes:

("Flynn" wrote)
Latest info is at

http://www.ipilot.com/classifieds/ad...&cid=-1&fuid=0
I'm going to take some new pic's today and post them there. Contact

info
if
interested is also at the above site.

(Below)
I copied this from the "Registration" link. Are those numbers right?

105 mph?
13.5 gph?
180 hp?

The Tiger has a 180HP engine, and cruises, on the average, at about
130 to 135 KTAS on about 9.5 gpph, at around 7000 to 9000'.

-jav (former Tiger owner, more than once)

Old August 24th 03, 02:46 PM
David Megginson

"Mark T. Mueller" writes:

If they don't figure out the insurance thing, they will hit a brick
wall. I am paying around $1K/yr for my Tiger. I can't imaging paying
over $6K/yr for a fixed gear single, and from what I have heard it
doesn't matter if you are a 500 hour instrument pilot or not... At
that rate, it would be better to find a nice used twin.

Are you sure that it's not just the difference in hull value? The
hull portion of the insurance for my 1979 Warrior II was about USD
1,350 for USD 50,000 coverage last year. A new SR22 is worth nearly
seven times that, so I'd expect to pay about seven times as much for
hull coverage, even though my liability was the same.

All the best,

David
Old August 24th 03, 02:57 PM
Mark T. Mueller

I may be all wrong, but I thought the bulk of insurance premiums was tied up
in the liability, not hull.

Are you buying $1M smooth coverage?

Old August 24th 03, 04:15 PM
Javier Henderson

"Juan E Jimenez" writes:

What's the endurance? Are there standard and long range tank versions?

Tanks hold 51 gallons usable, there are tabs to let you load 38 usable
so you get a little more useful load for pax+baggage. There's an STC'd
18 gallon aux tank available, it robs some space off the relatively small
baggage area so I never considered it.

-jav
Old August 24th 03, 08:03 PM
Flynn

It stands to reason that the premium is a combination of factors that add to
up the level of exposure the insuror feels they have. Complex airplane and
low-time pilot? Bigger risk. Simple airplane, high hull value? Bigger
risk though in different amounts.
So, yes the SR-22 would be 4x the Tigers hull value. And it's more complex
though not like stepping up to a P210 for example. And frankly the accident
record, for whatever reasons, hasn't been stellar particularly given the
size of the fleet. So higher premiums.

Talking with Cirrus, I didn't qualify for the insurance reduction program as
I already have an IR.

"Mark T. Mueller" writes:

I may be all wrong, but I thought the bulk of insurance premiums was
tied up in the liability, not hull.

I think that's wrong. I pay 2.7% of insured value for in-motion and
not-in-motion hull insurance. More experienced pilots probably pay
less, but I'd be surprised (happy, but surprised) to see it get much
under 2%. What do people pay down in the U.S. for
in-motion/not-in-motion?

Are you buying $1M smooth coverage?

I have CAD 1M (USD 715K) total combined liability -- no per-seat
maximum -- at CAD 515/year (USD 370/year). That's a small fraction of
what I pay for hull coverage, even for a plane that's worth only USD
50K. I was an 85-hour, newly-minted, unrated PPL at the time, so
that's about as expensive as liability would get.

All the best,

David

Old August 24th 03, 10:10 PM
Snowbird

"Montblack" wrote in message ...

I copied this from the "Registration" link. Are those numbers right?

105 mph?

No. Substitute "3" for "0" (of course DA, weight, power setting
are factors)

13.5 gph?

No. Substitute "0" for "3" (of course, DA and power setting are factors)
Must be where the missing "3" went.

180 hp?

Yes, with a few 200 hp conversions flying around.

The main limitation of the Tiger IMO is the fixed-pitch prop.
They are usually pitced for cruise airspeed, so it's a mediocre
climber at max gross and high DA.

Cheers,
Sydney
(Grumman AA5B "Tigger")
Old August 24th 03, 11:40 PM
Satellite

Sorry for my comment, but can't hold back:
How do you come up with a ridiculous price like that.
Your plane is an old pile of junk.

Compare it to a 1997 to 1999 Cessna 172!
They are available from $75000 and up...
Look for yourself www.aso.com
And you get recent avionics, lower time,
nice paint, nice interior, lower insurance,
ad a new engine and you are set...
Your plane... $76000...Ha, what a joke...

"Flynn" wrote in message
Well I've taken the new plane plunge and put a deposit down on a new SR22
for delivery in late Sept. My wife says I can't have 2 airplanes so the
Tiger's for sale.

Latest info is at
http://www.ipilot.com/classifieds/ad...&cid=-1&fuid=0
I'm going to take some new pic's today and post them there. Contact info

if
interested is also at the above site.

Patrick Flynn
Sammamish, WA
79 Tiger N4543A KRNT

Old August 24th 03, 11:48 PM
Satellite

http://www.aso.com/i.aso/AircraftVie...craft_id=75661

http://www.aso.com/i.aso/AircraftVie...craft_id=75662

http://www.aso.com/i.aso/AircraftVie...craft_id=74491
this is a nice one...

om...

Old August 25th 03, 12:05 AM
Dan Luke

"Satellite" wrote:
in message om...
Sorry for my comment, but can't hold back:
How do you come up with a ridiculous price like that.
Your plane is an old pile of junk.

Compare it to a 1997 to 1999 Cessna 172!
They are available from $75000 and up...
Look for yourself www.aso.com
And you get recent avionics, lower time,
nice paint, nice interior, lower insurance,
ad a new engine and you are set...
Your plane... $76000...Ha, what a joke...

Look at the engine hours, numb nuts. Also, Flynn's airplane is at
least 20 knots faster and has an autopilot. Check the Grumman Tiger
prices in ASO, while ypu're blundering around in there.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM