Would you go?

Old April 4th 05, 04:46 AM
kage

You can back a King Air with reverse thrust.

BTDT
Karl

"Grumman-581" wrote in message
newsw24e.133532$r55.14562@attbi_s52...
"BTIZ" wrote in message news:1Z_3e.3181$ZV5.821@fed1read05...
I'd complain to the FBO about the "hassles" and be glad that you could

push
back and get away..
good thing it was not a 12,000# King Air.

Throw a chain around the nose gear and tow it out of the way... I'm got a
Hemi...

Old April 4th 05, 05:16 AM
Grumman-581

"kage" wrote in message
You can back a King Air with reverse thrust.

I had interpreted it as they had parked a King Air in front of your plane...
Depending upon where you park, pushing your plane backwards might not be an
option...

Old April 4th 05, 05:26 AM
Morgans

"BTIZ" wrote in message
I'd complain to the FBO about the "hassles" and be glad that you could

push
back and get away..
good thing it was not a 12,000# King Air.

That's not so bad. At the Hickory airshow a few years back, we had to move
a DC-3, so the Connie could leave, and they didn't have anything handy to
move it. We got some Explorers, and pushed it out of the way, with the
tailwheel in the grass, even!

Not something I would want to do on a regular basis! g
--
Jim in NC

Old April 4th 05, 03:40 PM
Dan Luke

The truck's still sitting in front of my airplane this morning (Monday).

According to a different FBO lady this morning, the brakes are locked
(emergency brake?), which is why they couldn't move it.

Much is explained, except why they couldn't have called me to let me know
what the problem was when it happened.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old April 4th 05, 03:54 PM
Michael

Dan Luke wrote:
In the event, I did an extra careful preflight, took large fuel

samples,
did an extended run-up and took off with no problems. Would you

have?

I would have done the same as you. I would have made it a point to
monitor CHT's and EGT's on taxi and runup (I know what normal is for my
plane, and fuel cintaminated with jet-A will not yield normal operating
temperatures) and I would hav done a full-powe runup on the threshold
for a few seconds, again monitoring CHT and EGT. My logic here is that
I would catch water contamination by drainign a sample, but hydrocarbon
contamination is trickier.

Having said that - I would take off knowing that if something did
happen, and they had indeed parked the truck there to keep me from
taking off, the accident would be called pilot error and the monday
morning quarterbacks would blame me for launching when something was
obviously not right.

Michael

Old April 4th 05, 04:31 PM
Andrew Gideon

Dan Luke wrote:

The truck's still sitting in front of my airplane this morning (Monday).

According to a different FBO lady this morning, the brakes are locked
(emergency brake?), which is why they couldn't move it.

Much is explained, except why they couldn't have called me to let me know
what the problem was when it happened.

Have you ever seen a parking lot handle a car left w/o the keys? There are
these doohickeys which they put under each of the wheels. When "closed" or
"activated", they actually raise each wheel off the ground. At that point,
the car can be easily moved.

Obviously, a fuel truck is heavier than a car. But *someone* should be able
to tow the thing even with locked brakes.

- Andrew

Old April 4th 05, 09:27 PM
Grumman-581

The problem is not one of someone having an engine strong enough to
move the truck, but rather that person getting enough traction to be
able to do it... If the truck only had the rear brakes locked, it
*might* be possible to drag it out of the way with a 4WD pickup in
4WD-low gear... If you get some water on the pavement under the fuel
truck's tires, it might help if you can manage to transition from
static to sliding friction on the locked tires while maintaining static
friction on your pickup's tires... Moving a heavier vehicle with a
lighter vehicle takes more than a powerful engine... If you don't have
better traction, all you do is spin your wheels... If you've got
traction and a low enough gear, you can move anything regardless of
your weight...

Old April 4th 05, 11:23 PM
Andrew Gideon

Grumman-581 wrote:

If the truck only had the rear brakes locked, it
might be possible to drag it out of the way with a 4WD pickup in
4WD-low gear

The device to which I refer reduces the traction of the stuck vehicle by
getting its wheels off the ground. That leaves the vehicle on the wheels
of the device, and they are not locked.

I've only seen this used on automobiles, but I'm sure there's an analog for
trucks.

- Andrew

Old April 5th 05, 12:16 AM
Grumman-581

I understand what you're talking about Andrew.. .I'm just pointing out
the problems if you don't have such a device...

Old April 5th 05, 01:25 AM
Andrew Gideon

Grumman-581 wrote:

nderstand what you're talking about Andrew.. .I'm just pointing out
the problems if you don't have such a device...

Ah. Sorry; I thought I wasn't being clear.

- Andrew