Weight of D steel 02 cylinder Schliecher

Old May 27th 18, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Weight of D steel 02 cylinder Schliecher

Was wondering if anyone knew the approximate weight of tehnD size steel 02cylinders that are used in Schliecher gliders? Thanks
Old May 27th 18, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

According to THIS
https://applied-inc.com/oxygen-cylinder-sizes-and-info chart, 5.3 lb.
(Aluminum, medical)

THIS
https://www.exmed.net/p-3771-responsive-respiratory-d-oxygen-cylinder.aspx
says 5 lb. (Aluminum, medical)

But THIS
https://www.amazon.com/Steel-Oxygen-Cylinder-CGA540-Valve/dp/B01E2TS1TQ
is more likely what you're looking for, and it's 16 lbs.Â* (Steel)

--
Dan, 5J

Old May 27th 18, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 8:17:43 AM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was wondering if anyone knew the approximate weight of tehnD size steel 02cylinders that are used in Schliecher gliders? Thanks

I don't think Dan's link to the steel cylinder is the one used in Schleicher gliders. The diameter is 5.25 inches, and the cylinder sleeve in the ASW-27 series is under 4 inches (100 mm). These cylinders are getting very hard to find, as virtually all medical oxygen suppliers have switched to aluminum cylinders. I used to have a source on used steel cylinders, but they all needed refurbishment (hydro test, sandblast and paint). My supplier eventually scrapped them all.
Old May 27th 18, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Leonard

On 5/27/2018 8:17 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was wondering if anyone knew the approximate weight of tehnD size steel 02cylinders that are used in Schliecher gliders? Thanks

I just weighed 2 of them at 10.7 lbs. each.
Old May 27th 18, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 8:42:22 AM UTC-7, Dave Leonard wrote:
On 5/27/2018 8:17 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was wondering if anyone knew the approximate weight of tehnD size steel 02cylinders that are used in Schliecher gliders? Thanks

I just weighed 2 of them at 10.7 lbs. each.

Thanks much!
Old May 27th 18, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Just a reminder that all cylinders are not necessarily alike. Twenty-five years ago I discovered that (at least then) my ASW 24 oxygen bottle holder was a REALLY tight fit for a steel bottle (D size, IIRC; my LS-3 was sized for an E bottle--same diameter but longer). That's when I learned that aluminum bottles with the same nominal diameter (4.3") were slightly larger and composite bottles larger still.

I can't find much online to confirm whether that's still the case. Most sources just list diameter as 4.3". But several do confirm that aluminum bottles are 4.37" dia. (possibly because the wall thickness is twice that for steel bottles). No big deal if there's some clearance in the mounting tube or you're using a clamp-type mount. A non-starter if--like mine--the molded in fiberglass tube is a "perfect" fit after some sanding (of the fiberglass tube, not the bottle).

Chip Bearden