i didn't know an ILS brought you right to the control tower

Old August 17th 05, 09:29 PM
james

Default i didn't know an ILS brought you right to the control tower

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?O...7-c589c01ca7bf

see graphic

Old August 17th 05, 09:45 PM
Jim Burns

Yep, and they send it to you when the weather is bad. Cool... wonder if
they'll send me one this winter when it's snowing so hard I can't see the
road?
Jim

ups.com...

Old August 17th 05, 10:57 PM
Jackal24

"The ILS is an electronic beam from the ground sent to pilots when
visibility is poor. Essentially, it shows pilots where the plane should
be on approach, called the glide slope."

I guess we don't have to worry about the localizer anymore, just
glideslope.

"Jim Burns" wrote in
:

Yep, and they send it to you when the weather is bad. Cool... wonder
if they'll send me one this winter when it's snowing so hard I can't
see the road?
Jim

"james" wrote in message
ups.com...

http://www.9news.com/acm_news.aspx?O...D=c1be071b-0ab
e-421a-0110-1918b57f2798&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7b

see graphic

Old August 17th 05, 10:58 PM
Jackal24

Don't forget that the interference is only happening in bad weather. I
guess those satellites don't work when the weather is good.

"Jim Burns" wrote in
:

Old August 17th 05, 11:16 PM
Jim Burns

Makes 'ya think that they forgot to stay at a Holiday Inn Express last
night, doesn't it? Ah, but they rode on an airplane once. And they saw a
control tower. Everybody knows that the guys in the tower help those poor
pilots find the airport and the runway when the weather is bad, after all,
we all heard it on the news or read it in the paper.

I feel sorry for reporters. So many complicated subjects and simply not
enough time to get it right, besides everybody knows that reporters are
smarter than John Q Public, right? And, if you're not smart enough to be a
reporter, you can always be an editor. Just make sure there is enough
techno-babble intermixed in the story to make the reporter sound as smart as
the editor.

So.... when an airplane stalls, we all know it's engine quits (we've all
read it, right?).... does an airplane on a GLIDE slope have to become a
glider? or shut it's engines down? does an airplane stall when it hit's the
glideslope? Tell me Miss/Mr Wise Reporter... curious minds want to know.
Jim

Old August 18th 05, 12:28 AM
Jay Beckman

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
[...]

I don't belive this is entirely fair,

We take the time to get proper training to fly and (smart pilots) continue
their education at every turn via magazines, books, software, the web,
additonal ratings, refresher courses, BFRs...etc. Basic flying may not be
brain surgery, but it takes a little bit of "something" to do it at all and
maybe even more of that "something" to do it well.

Beginning to Intermediate electronic journalists (in the USA) have only
three tests to pass:

- Can you communicate in English?
- Can you do so in as concise a manner as possible?
- Can you look good doing it?

But unless you have a reporter who is an instrument-rated pilot, the
expectation that anyone in the newsroom of a local TV station will have
anything more than very bare boned knowledge about modern avionics is (IMO)
an unrealistic expectation.

Local TV stations just can't afford to keep a "Science Editor" or "Aviation
Reporter" on staff.

It's quite possible that the reporter simply regurgitated the basics of
flying an ILS exactly as they were explained to her. Garbage In - Garbage
Out. Or put another way: Dumbed Down In - Dumbed Down Even More Out.

Hell, even Miles O'Brien proved that sometimes the frenzy to get it on the
air first can lead even the most aviation-savvy network-level reporter to
make the occassional wild-ass guess as he did with the cause of that Air
France wreck in Toronto and the fate of those aboard.

Take it with a grain of salt. And if it really offends your sensabilities
that much, then craft a letter to the editor and educate them. I bet they'd
appreciate it. Who knows, you might get a call to go on the air as a local
aviation expert. Just try not to freeze up when the red light comes on...!

Jay Beckman - PP/ASEL
Arizona Cloudbusters
Chandler, AZ

Old August 18th 05, 02:24 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 8/17/05 7:28 PM, in article 9KPMe.60890$E95.11876@fed1read01, "Jay
Beckman" wrote:

It's quite possible that the reporter simply regurgitated the basics of
flying an ILS exactly as they were explained to her. Garbage In - Garbage
Out. Or put another way: Dumbed Down In - Dumbed Down Even More Out.

Hell, even Miles O'Brien proved that sometimes the frenzy to get it on the
air first can lead even the most aviation-savvy network-level reporter to
make the occassional wild-ass guess as he did with the cause of that Air
France wreck in Toronto and the fate of those aboard.

Take it with a grain of salt. And if it really offends your sensabilities
that much, then craft a letter to the editor and educate them. I bet they'd
appreciate it. Who knows, you might get a call to go on the air as a local
aviation expert. Just try not to freeze up when the red light comes on...!

What's the excuse when a pilot (me) works for a newspaper, the reporter
knows it, and they *still* get a flying-related story wrong? I pointed out
multiple errors in a story before it went to press. Did it make a
difference? Nope.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old August 18th 05, 02:24 AM
Icebound

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message

I don't belive this is entirely fair,

We take the time to get proper training to fly and (smart pilots) continue
their education at every turn via magazines, books, software, the web,
additonal ratings, refresher courses, BFRs...etc. Basic flying may not be
brain surgery, but it takes a little bit of "something" to do it at all
and maybe even more of that "something" to do it well.

Beginning to Intermediate electronic journalists (in the USA) have only
three tests to pass:

- Can you communicate in English?
- Can you do so in as concise a manner as possible?
- Can you look good doing it?

No, there is a fourth:

- Can you, within the first 30 seconds, find something within any story
that can be construed as negligence, and immediately begin speculation as to
who is "at fault"? (preferably a public/government figure, but any
recognizable entity will do.)

We can then spend the rest of the allotted time creating (unwarranted)
outrage. This will divert the public's attention from the point that we
haven't actually discovered any new facts.

But unless you have a reporter who is an instrument-rated pilot, the
expectation that anyone in the newsroom of a local TV station will have
anything more than very bare boned knowledge about modern avionics is
(IMO) an unrealistic expectation.

Local TV stations just can't afford to keep a "Science Editor" or
"Aviation Reporter" on staff.

"Can't" or *Won't*?. Is TV media about accurate reportage to the masses,
or about large dividends to the share-holders?

It's quite possible that the reporter simply regurgitated the basics of
flying an ILS exactly as they were explained to her. Garbage In - Garbage
Out. Or put another way: Dumbed Down In - Dumbed Down Even More Out.

TV media especially, perhaps once was "news", but is now simply
entertainment. For the most part, it is masking axe-to-grind political
commentators, as if they were actually news reporters... They alternate
that with masking fluff-heads to referee other political commentators.

The only place on TV to get "news", is from the text trailers. There, they
only have enough room to put in the facts: as in: "An Air France passenger
jet ran off the runway in Toronto"... That little, stands a reasonable
chance of being at least partially accurate.

Hell, even Miles O'Brien proved that sometimes the frenzy to get it on the
air first can lead even the most aviation-savvy network-level reporter to
make the occassional wild-ass guess as he did with the cause of that Air
France wreck in Toronto and the fate of those aboard.

Does TV news-programming still have the right to be called "press" in the
sense of the US First Amendment or the Canadian Bill-of-Rights? Or is it
just a game of "frenzy to get it on the air first"?

Ha-ha, I win? But the masses lose...

Old August 18th 05, 03:20 AM
George Patterson

Jackal24 wrote:
Don't forget that the interference is only happening in bad weather.

Nobody would care if the interference happens in good weather. Most of the
people who would notice a problem in good weather would be students. Good luck
convincing your CFII that you went below the glide slope because the ILS told
you to.

George Patterson
Old August 18th 05, 03:31 AM
Jose

What I really want to know is how satellites may interfere with an ILS (as
from the video). I've never heard of that before.

They can fall on the transmitter.

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.