Rotax vs. Jabiru

Old January 5th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Rotax vs. Jabiru

As I continue to research, the Zodiac XL and the Sonex are on the short
list. Both offer a couple of engine options including Rotax 912
(variations) and the Jabiru 3300. Real-world performance doesn't seem
like it would be that much different, at least on paper.

I hope this isn't a religious issue. I'm interested in opinions on both
the Rotax and Jabiru options.

TIA.

Old January 5th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Cal Vanize wrote:

As I continue to research, the Zodiac XL and the Sonex are on the short
list. Both offer a couple of engine options including Rotax 912
(variations) and the Jabiru 3300. Real-world performance doesn't seem
like it would be that much different, at least on paper.

I hope this isn't a religious issue. I'm interested in opinions on both
the Rotax and Jabiru options.

TIA.

Or if I opt for a Zodiac XL, would it be better to use a Conti O-200?

Old January 5th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Cal Vanize" wrote

Or if I opt for a Zodiac XL, would it be better to use a Conti O-200?

I think it pushes it above the weight for LSA designation. Check on that.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 5th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Cal Vanize" wrote

I hope this isn't a religious issue. I'm interested in opinions on both
the Rotax and Jabiru options.

More people are badmouthing Jubiru, than are badmouthing the Rotax 4
strokes.

YMMV.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 5th 06, 05:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

I've only got 120 trouble free hours on my 912ULS, so I'm no first hand
expert, but, the 912 was recently changed from TBO of 1200 hours to
1500. That seems like a fairly good endorsement for reasonablely good
field experience.
tom

Old January 5th 06, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Cal Vanize wrote in
:

As I continue to research, the Zodiac XL and the Sonex are on the
short list. Both offer a couple of engine options including Rotax 912
(variations) and the Jabiru 3300. Real-world performance doesn't seem
like it would be that much different, at least on paper.

I hope this isn't a religious issue. I'm interested in opinions on
both the Rotax and Jabiru options.

TIA.

Sonex does not offer support or FWF for the Rotex,... Just the Jabiru
(120 or 80hp) or Sonex' own "AeroVee" 80HP Volkswagan-based engine.
There are also several flying with GP VW conversions, and a couple with
a corvair (over the recomended FWF wieght though)

Both the Sonex and Zodiac are terrific planes with simular construction
methods. The Sonex is smaller both outside and in the cockpit, but
faster. The Sonex is at LEAST as fast as the factory claims (cruise
about 140-150 on 80hp, and 150-165 w/ jab 3300 (mph) yes they both meet
LSA limits since "max continuous power @ sea level is still under 138))
the Zodiac has never lived up to the factory speed claims (just ask or
read history on the Matronics list for confirmation). That doesn't make
the 601xl a bad plane, far from it... Just something else to throw into
the mix while considering.

If you havent already, join the yahoo SonexTalk list (
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sonextalk/ ) and the Zodiac list on
Matronics (http://www.matronics.com/Navigator/?Zenith-List).

I chose the Sonex, mostly because of speed and the fact that I am
building from scratch, and the full size planse from Sonex are much more
detailed & sutable for scratch building. If I was building from a kit,
I might still be scratching my head....

--
-- ET :-)

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old January 5th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Morgans wrote:

"Cal Vanize" wrote

Or if I opt for a Zodiac XL, would it be better to use a Conti O-200?

I think it pushes it above the weight for LSA designation. Check on that.

Jim
I'm not sure if your talking about the 'built' version or E/AB version.
If it's the experimental version you can set the gross weight where you
like. Just limit it to the LSA requirement and your good to go. You will
lose some useful load which you can trade off with smaller tanks and less
range if you need the weight.
John

Old January 5th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

("UltraJohn" wrote)
I'm not sure if your talking about the 'built' version or E/AB version.
If it's the experimental version you can set the gross weight where you
like. Just limit it to the LSA requirement and your good to go. You will
lose some useful load which you can trade off with smaller tanks and less
range if you need the weight.

Could you ex"pound" on this - set the gross weight where you like?

Thanks

Mont ....blue, yeah, that's it - Montblue
Old January 5th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Montblack" wrote in
:

("UltraJohn" wrote)
I'm not sure if your talking about the 'built' version or E/AB
version. If it's the experimental version you can set the gross
weight where you like. Just limit it to the LSA requirement and your
good to go. You will lose some useful load which you can trade off
with smaller tanks and less range if you need the weight.

Could you ex"pound" on this - set the gross weight where you like?

Thanks

Mont ....blue, yeah, that's it - Montblue

As the builder/manufacturer of an ambuilt-experimental you can
absolutely set the max gross weight anywhere you like... Who is to tell
you that a kit that others have built and set at, say 1450lbs is
mandatory for you to do the same.... Of course, a ramp check when you
and your 200lb friend climb out and pull out pull out 200Lbs of camping
gear that's 150lbs over your gross weight will be a problem....

S-LSA and kit E-LSA are regulated as to the min usefull load to combat
just this issue... but ambuilt expermimental is not.