Gordon's San Diego Air & Space Museum Pics : Gordon with Hindenberg fabric 2

Old March 16th 07, 08:31 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Default Gordon's San Diego Air & Space Museum Pics : Gordon with Hindenberg fabric 2

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gordon with Hindenberg fabric 2.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	8170
Old March 16th 07, 01:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
NoJags Neil

Ahhh... very interesting... aluminium with iron oxide... thermite reaction,
anybody?

It was the fabric that caused the disaster, not the hydrogen.

"Dave Kearton" wrote in message

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old March 16th 07, 02:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Luke[_2_]

"NoJags Neil" wrote in message
Ahhh... very interesting... aluminium with iron oxide... thermite
reaction, anybody?

It was the fabric that caused the disaster, not the hydrogen.

Perhaps the hydrogen caused it, but the thermite reaction made it
historic.

Luke

Old March 16th 07, 05:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Luke" wrote:

"NoJags Neil" wrote in message
Ahhh... very interesting... aluminium with iron oxide... thermite
reaction, anybody?

It was the fabric that caused the disaster, not the hydrogen.

Perhaps the hydrogen caused it, but the thermite reaction made it
historic.

Luke

Nope -- it was the nitrate dope that everybody used on fabric in those
days. The aluminum powder in the dope (for UV protection) would have
played only a minor role.
Old March 16th 07, 10:03 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Luke[_2_]

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Luke" wrote:

"NoJags Neil" wrote in
message
Ahhh... very interesting... aluminium with iron oxide... thermite
reaction, anybody?

It was the fabric that caused the disaster, not the hydrogen.

Perhaps the hydrogen caused it, but the thermite reaction made it
historic.

Luke

Nope -- it was the nitrate dope that everybody used on fabric in those
days. The aluminum powder in the dope (for UV protection) would have
played only a minor role.

The whole thing was a flying tinder box imho... But as to the cause of
the disaster, I have a hard time seeing how nitrate dope alone can be
ignited buy a static spark. I've not done my own "mythbusters" review of
the events, but it seems that to me, (as an engineer and an A&P) that the
hydrogen gas was what would be easiest part of the pile to ignite, followed,
albiet very closely, by the dope covered fabric. Hydrogen gas burns with an
invisible flame and we have all seen the motion pictures of that day... The
glaring lack of other dope and fabric covered aircraft burting into flames
should be anecdotal evidence to support the established scenario that the
hydrogen gas was the real culprit. The dope, iron and aluminum just made it
more spectacular.

Luke

Old March 16th 07, 10:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Luke wrote:

The whole thing was a flying tinder box imho... But as to the
cause of the disaster, I have a hard time seeing how nitrate dope
alone can be ignited buy a static spark. I've not done my own
"mythbusters" review of the events, but it seems that to me, (as an
engineer and an A&P) that the hydrogen gas was what would be easiest
part of the pile to ignite, followed, albiet very closely, by the
dope covered fabric. Hydrogen gas burns with an invisible flame and
we have all seen the motion pictures of that day... The glaring lack
of other dope and fabric covered aircraft burting into flames should
be anecdotal evidence to support the established scenario that the
hydrogen gas was the real culprit. The dope, iron and aluminum just
made it more spectacular.

Luke

Far be it for me to refer anyone to Wikipedia, it seems to be regarded here
as the Sesame Street reference library. However, the Hindenberg
article is quite interesting and goes into enough depth on the popular
Hindenberg crash theories, to be worth a 5 minute read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LZ_129_Hindenburg

Interestingly, after several German and American investigations, no
official cause has been definitively identified (discounting the Nazi's
conclusions for political reasons).

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton (this post was brought to you by the letters L & Z and
the numbers 1, 2 and 9)

Old March 17th 07, 01:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ray O'Hara

"Luke" wrote in message

"Orval Fairbairn" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"Luke" wrote:

"NoJags Neil" wrote in
message
[...]

considering what it was made of and filled with its amazing it lasted as
long as it did.