US team silence

Old July 25th 18, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default US team silence

On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 9:45:14 PM UTC-4, Charlie Quebec wrote:
i love the sight of whining in the morning, it sounds like victory.
LMAO

My read is that he does not agree with where the sport is going and is speaking up.
He is far from the only pilot that does not think that the evolution of the sport to providing continually increased amounts of outside information is a good thing.
As a leader, if he doesn't speak out, who will?
There are known ways to deal with some of these issues:
Examples:
FLARM competition mode to reduce the tactical benefit of FLARM radar.
Delayed availability of tracking information.
Others
UH
Old July 25th 18, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 9:29:39 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 9:45:14 PM UTC-4, Charlie Quebec wrote:
i love the sight of whining in the morning, it sounds like victory.
LMAO

My read is that he does not agree with where the sport is going and is speaking up.
He is far from the only pilot that does not think that the evolution of the sport to providing continually increased amounts of outside information is a good thing.
As a leader, if he doesn't speak out, who will?
There are known ways to deal with some of these issues:
Examples:
FLARM competition mode to reduce the tactical benefit of FLARM radar.
Delayed availability of tracking information.
Others
UH

Well, just to keep everyone straight...

Stealth mode reduces the tactical benefits of flarm radar.

Competition mode reduces alarm sensitivity in gaggles to a level that is useful for competition.

Sebastian, or the software translation to English, confused the two as well..

I don't think whining from the podium is apt to be productive. All it did for John McEnroe is to cause people like me (not a big tennis fan) to think of him as that "very talented... incredibly whiny little snot". Did he do anything to improve the sport?

There's an IGC rules process. It moves slowly, with great pain, but probably faster than the equivalent in tennis. Sebastian, just by virtue of celebrity, has better access to this process than most. I generally agree with him, I wish him well with articulating his views in a way that results in positive change.

Side comment on flarm for all the noisy "stealth mode" detractors... it's just software. Flarm's stealth mode could be improved quite a lot. All one need do to make the "radar" display about safety and not leeching is strip all the ID (including radio ID) and limit range /delta altitude to 1km / 150m for gliders flying in same direction and say 3km / 300m for gliders on opposing or intersecting courses cruising at speed. The collision alarm functions remain completely independent, as now.

Evan Ludeman
Old July 25th 18, 03:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

There are known ways to deal with some of these issues:
Examples:
FLARM competition mode to reduce the tactical benefit of FLARM radar.
Delayed availability of tracking information.
Others
UH

Well UH, I and a lot of other racers have found that Flarm radar makes racing more fun. Most of us are in it for the fun of it. Let's not mess with that great feature please.

And messing with delayed tracking would reduce the fun and usefulness of crew following and race monitoring. So that's a bad idea also.
Old July 25th 18, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 10:35:25 AM UTC-4, Steve Koerner wrote:
There are known ways to deal with some of these issues:
Examples:
FLARM competition mode to reduce the tactical benefit of FLARM radar.
Delayed availability of tracking information.
Others
UH

Well UH, I and a lot of other racers have found that Flarm radar makes racing more fun. Most of us are in it for the fun of it. Let's not mess with that great feature please.

And messing with delayed tracking would reduce the fun and usefulness of crew following and race monitoring. So that's a bad idea also.

What's fun at regional level (and I think open flarm & real time tracking are good things at the regional level) becomes problematic at WGC.

Evan
Old July 25th 18, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 14:35 25 July 2018, Steve Koerner wrote:

There are known ways to deal with some of these issues:
Examples:
FLARM competition mode to reduce the tactical benefit of FLARM

radar.
Delayed availability of tracking information.
Others
UH

Well UH, I and a lot of other racers have found that Flarm radar

makes
racing more fun. Most of us are in it for the fun of it. Let's not

mess
with that great feature please.

And messing with delayed tracking would reduce the fun and

usefulness of
crew following and race monitoring. So that's a bad idea also.

Steve,
You are confusing pilots who are out to win a World Championship
with others who just want to tag along for fun. Kawa and other
serious racers are out to win a WGC, and the best ones don't want
others to be able to tag along for fun, or to gain a competitive
advantage on them through this technology. They view this as
leeching off their better glider flying abilities. That's why some of
them want the FAI WGC rules changed. You are not racing under
FAI WGC rules in the USA. UH is just making some suggestions
where the FAI WGC rules could be modified to lessen the gripes that
serious racers like Kawa have with the system as it exists now.
RO

Old July 25th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Wednesday, July 25, 2018 at 7:27:26 AM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:
[...]

Yes, it did - ultimately they came up with video analysis for line calls (but not before McEnroe retired). This shows how bad some calls are - and gives McEnroe a chance to gloat over how right he was.

The improvement of the sport can only occur thru critical analysis of its faults, with emphasis on "critical."

Tom
Old July 25th 18, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Koerner

Steve,
You are confusing pilots who are out to win a World Championship
with others who just want to tag along for fun. Kawa and other
serious racers are out to win a WGC, and the best ones don't want
others to be able to tag along for fun, or to gain a competitive
advantage on them through this technology. They view this as
leeching off their better glider flying abilities. That's why some of
them want the FAI WGC rules changed. You are not racing under
FAI WGC rules in the USA. UH is just making some suggestions
where the FAI WGC rules could be modified to lessen the gripes that
serious racers like Kawa have with the system as it exists now.
RO

RO: Your point is well taken. It's just that Hank is on the US rules committee, not the WGC rules committee -- hence my US rules perspective counterpoint. At any rate, my own view on that matter may change in a couple weeks when I win at Uvalde and have to deal with all the leeches waiting for me to start. :-)
GW
Old July 26th 18, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

On Saturday, July 21, 2018 at 8:36:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
They're all over Facebook...

Facebook is for giggly girls and Russians.
Real men don't look at it.
Old July 27th 18, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 7:31:57 AM UTC-7, Soartech wrote:
On Saturday, July 21, 2018 at 8:36:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
They're all over Facebook...

Facebook is for giggly girls and Russians.
Real men don't look at it.

Strange, I thought vk was for both of those (especially together).
Old July 27th 18, 06:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Ah, the no true Scotsman fallacy.

Anti-War Up - A time to break the silence Dr. Vincent Quin, Ph.D. Piloting 3 June 1st 10 09:36 AM
silence Ed Aerobatics 0 November 9th 09 10:32 PM
A Moment of Silence. plasticguy Soaring 0 October 27th 04 06:43 PM
Radio Silence and Death over Frankfort ArtKramr Military Aviation 14 February 11th 04 08:46 PM
Moment of silence AZSKYBUM Soaring 0 December 23rd 03 04:57 AM