A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old October 16th 18, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 118
Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 10:57:20 PM UTC-7, Ian wrote:
On 2018/10/16 01:54, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

Rolled on two coats of Duratec Vinyl ester surfacing primer, sanding tomorrow.
Pictures:
http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm


Nicely documented project. I hope you don't get "arithmetic fatigue"
adding up all the hours.

Please advise the weight of the fuselage before you started verses that
when you finished. Also the moment arm balance for the rudder, before
and after. Be kind to the next owner and make sure it is fully
documented in the log books. This is always the "unknown" when looking
at a refinished glider.


I have all the weights before the refinish.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Ads
  #22  
Old October 16th 18, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 48
Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

What did you mean by this?

"6 hrs Epoxy and glass beads to fair vertical stabilizer and rudder."

Were you filling low spots, or did you build up a lip at the trailing edge of the vertical stabilizer to make a fairing to cover the leading edge of the rudder?

Thank you for documenting this project. I prefer to soar, but I also love working on gliders and may take on a refinish project someday. Just like teaching the next generation to fly, we need to spread this skill too.

-Doug.

*


  #23  
Old October 16th 18, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 118
Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 10:05:37 AM UTC-7, wrote:
What did you mean by this?

"6 hrs Epoxy and glass beads to fair vertical stabilizer and rudder."

Were you filling low spots, or did you build up a lip at the trailing edge of the vertical stabilizer to make a fairing to cover the leading edge of the rudder?

Thank you for documenting this project. I prefer to soar, but I also love working on gliders and may take on a refinish project someday. Just like teaching the next generation to fly, we need to spread this skill too.

-Doug.

*


Faired the surface with epoxy and glass beads. When you takeoff the coating you will find not all is flat.


Richard
www.craggyaeo.com
  #24  
Old October 16th 18, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 451
Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Primer is rolled on to force it into the million pinholes left after sanding. If the first coats are sprayed many pinholes are bridged and show up again after the first sanding. How smooth it is doesn't matter too much.
UH


Thanks for telling me what does not matter to me. I had no idea!


I assisted UH in refinishing my ASW 24 wings last winter. I, too, was a little concerned with rolling anything on the wings we had so carefully templated before we started. Surely spraying was necessary to get the accurate profile we were after.

He's right; the rolling imperfections sanded out relatively quickly. I'm not sure how many more pinholes would have shown up if he hadn't been so diligent about forcing the primer-filler into the structure. But the relatively few that remained were a pain to touch up individually, especially as we kept finding more at each subsequent stage. The finished wings justified his approach and after three long contests this year, I couldn't be happier with the performance.

Chip Bearden
  #25  
Old October 17th 18, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 118
Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

On Tuesday, October 16, 2018 at 1:19:04 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Primer is rolled on to force it into the million pinholes left after sanding. If the first coats are sprayed many pinholes are bridged and show up again after the first sanding. How smooth it is doesn't matter too much..
UH


Thanks for telling me what does not matter to me. I had no idea!


I assisted UH in refinishing my ASW 24 wings last winter. I, too, was a little concerned with rolling anything on the wings we had so carefully templated before we started. Surely spraying was necessary to get the accurate profile we were after.

He's right; the rolling imperfections sanded out relatively quickly. I'm not sure how many more pinholes would have shown up if he hadn't been so diligent about forcing the primer-filler into the structure. But the relatively few that remained were a pain to touch up individually, especially as we kept finding more at each subsequent stage. The finished wings justified his approach and after three long contests this year, I couldn't be happier with the performance.

Chip Bearden


More progress, sanding next step spray 1 coat of vinyl ester surfacer.


http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
  #26  
Old October 18th 18, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 86
Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

On 2018/10/17 22:33, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

More progress, sanding next step spray 1 coat of vinyl ester surfacer.


Are you sanding wet or dry?
How do you keep the floor so clean?

And when do you find time to spend on RAS ;-)
  #27  
Old October 18th 18, 09:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 118
Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 12:41:56 PM UTC-7, Ian wrote:
On 2018/10/17 22:33, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

More progress, sanding next step spray 1 coat of vinyl ester surfacer.


Are you sanding wet or dry?
How do you keep the floor so clean?

And when do you find time to spend on RAS ;-)


Sanding dry, vacuum up the floor.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
  #28  
Old October 18th 18, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 86
Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 1:07:47 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 12:41:56 PM UTC-7, Ian wrote:
On 2018/10/17 22:33, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

More progress, sanding next step spray 1 coat of vinyl ester surfacer.


Are you sanding wet or dry?
How do you keep the floor so clean?

And when do you find time to spend on RAS ;-)


Sanding dry, vacuum up the floor.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com


Richard, please don't throw away the fuselage mount/rotating system before checking with me? I might do mine someday...
Jim
  #29  
Old October 23rd 18, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 118
Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 1:27:57 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 1:07:47 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 12:41:56 PM UTC-7, Ian wrote:
On 2018/10/17 22:33, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

More progress, sanding next step spray 1 coat of vinyl ester surfacer.

Are you sanding wet or dry?
How do you keep the floor so clean?

And when do you find time to spend on RAS ;-)


Sanding dry, vacuum up the floor.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com


Richard, please don't throw away the fuselage mount/rotating system before checking with me? I might do mine someday...
Jim


More progress sprayed hopefull the last coat of vinyl ester surfacing primer. Therapy sanding tomorrow.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
  #30  
Old October 23rd 18, 01:26 PM
POPS POPS is offline
Member
 
First recorded activity by AviationBanter: Dec 2010
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pfiffner[_2_] View Post
Pictures and process for refinishing a ventus b fuselage. Work in progress pictures and process as work is completed.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Yo, that's a great pic log. I know you said you'd never do it, but when your all finished you could roll your old trusty-rusty all-terrain tow vehicle in there, hook it onto that lazy-susan contraption and put the spit shine to that sucker!
Just think how Gooood yud look coming and going!
Just think about it...
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
refinishing Ventus 2cm- wing profile [email protected] Soaring 20 November 6th 11 01:15 AM
refinishing Stig Pedersen Soaring 1 November 27th 05 05:50 PM
refinishing Stig Pedersen Soaring 1 November 26th 05 10:16 PM
Second speaker in Ventus 2b/c fuselage [email protected] Soaring 3 September 14th 05 05:41 PM
REFINISHING Ventus B Soaring 32 December 3rd 03 11:14 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.