Panel Lights - Need Help

Old May 28th 04, 06:37 PM
Barnyard BOb -

Default Panel Lights - Need Help

Subject: Instrument Panel Lights - Need Help

I am attempting to install panel lights in my previously built
Glasair. We are trying to go with the bezel lights on 5 - 3 1/8"
instruments, however above three of these instruments are the small
Vision Microsystems instruments. The backs on these instruments are
squares. Problem is, the way NuLites are constructed there is not
enough room without them touching the bottoms of the Vision
Microsystem instruments. The two bulbs within the Nulites are in the
top, the wires stick out and a small piece of plastic is glued to the
top of the bezel sealing in the lights. This piece of plastic is just
tall enough to prevent the Nulite from fitting. The NuLite cannot be
rotated.

We have found some older lights called NiteLites that fit perfectly.
They are not as tall as the NuLites. The avionics shop had two of them
lying around with the paperwork from 1996. Problem is the paperwork
has no company information on it whatsoever and an Internet search has
yielded nothing.

I am looking for any information regarding NiteLites, if the company
is still in business, etc. We have tried the Superior Panel Technology
lights, but did not like them.

My other options are a strip light attached to the glare shield, post
lights, or doing nothing and wearing a red light on the headset for
night flights. I currently operate out of an airport where night
flying is not permitted, so panel lights are not critical for me at
this point. While having avionics work done, I was hoping to do
everything at once.

The message above is from a good Glasair friend.
Any info... or light you can shine on the subject,
is appreciated and will be forwarded.

Thanks,

Barnyard BOb - Unka BOb - BOb U

Old May 28th 04, 07:17 PM
Nathan Young

On Fri, 28 May 2004 12:37:23 -0500, Barnyard BOb -
wrote:

[...]

From the description - I'm having a hard time visualizing what is
wrong with the NuLite install on the Glasair, so this may/may not be
helpful...

The cylindrical light spreader portion of the NuLites can be ground
away with a Dremel tool. I made liberal use of the Dremel when
installing the NuLites on my flight instruments + OBS indicators.

There is also another aftermarket lighting brand, UMA. Might be worth
a try. http://www.umainstruments.com/el.htm

-Nathan

Old May 29th 04, 07:51 PM
Richard Riley

wrote:
:
:We have found some older lights called NiteLites that fit perfectly.
:They are not as tall as the NuLites. The avionics shop had two of them
:lying around with the paperwork from 1996. Problem is the paperwork
:has no company information on it whatsoever and an Internet search has
:yielded nothing.
:
:I am looking for any information regarding NiteLites, if the company
:is still in business, etc. We have tried the Superior Panel Technology
:lights, but did not like them.

Try http://tinyurl.com/2tbnz
NiteLites, Chief Aircraft, $45 each.

Panel Lights Dimmer MII Driver Home Built 3 April 3rd 04 01:56 AM
Panel lighting Corky Scott Home Built 5 March 6th 04 12:22 AM
LEDs for Nav Lights - Jim Weir Scott Gettings Home Built 3 February 17th 04 01:53 AM
What are you guys using for cockpit lights these days? Stealth Pilot Home Built 6 December 9th 03 09:14 AM
CAD outline of Rans S6S instrument panel? Rob Turk Home Built 2 October 21st 03 09:27 PM