Garmin 430W/530W first impressions

Old February 20th 07, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Viperdoc[_4_]

Default Garmin 430W/530W first impressions

Rode back with my friend in his turbine Bonanza after the installation of a
530W/430W. We had a good chance to play with both boxes during the trip. As
before, they are very intuitive and relatively easy to operate.

The screen write rate is a lot faster than previously, and the plane
position updates more rapidly. The ability to channel the XM satellite radio
is also very nice for those long cross countries. METARS and TAFS are also
much more user friendly.

The resolution of the terrain on both units appears to be a lot higher than
previously.

One change is that Nexrad radar, traffic, and stormscope output do not
appear on the default nav page, even though this is the page most commonly
used. It was nice having the big picture view when all of this was displayed
at the same time on the standard 530.

The combination of both units is nice- the 530 for the main nav and comm
functions, with the 430 for secondary info like traffic, terrain, or
weather.

We did not do any approaches, but the King autopilot had roll steering and
automatically followed all course inputs in the flight plan.

This week we plan on doing some LNAV/VNAV approaches, as well as some holds
with the new boxes.

Again, the main thing missing is the lack of supplemental data on the main
nav page- why was this removed?

Will update after trying some approaches and holds. Overall impression- not
revolutionary, but definitely an improvement that clearly solidifies
Garmin's place as the leading avionics manufacturer.

Old February 20th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Karl

I also have a 430W, but I DO get radar and traffic on the main nav
page. (The radar is off by default and must be turned on with the menu
option).

As for LNAV/VNAV and LPV approaches, I've done both and it's a real
treat to have the glideslop on those. I even get glideslop to airports
that only have LNAV minima, so I can at least follow it down to MDA.

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 21:13:59 -0600, "Viperdoc"
wrote:

[...]

Karl - PP/ASEL/IA
Old February 20th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Viperdoc[_4_]

Thanks for the info. We flew back on a CAVU day, so there wasn't any weather
or lightning around. Reading the book alone it looked like we needed to go
to the map page only or the weather page to see the other info (530W). Since
my buddy and I keep the display on the default nav page most of the time,
this is great to have it all simultaneously.

However, as I recall the main nav page on a 430 is the map page, while the
530 has a FMS type view, which is different, so perhaps the weather won't
show up on the 530W on the default main page. Have you seen the info on a
530W?

Old February 21st 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Viperdoc wrote:
Thanks for the info. We flew back on a CAVU day, so there wasn't any weather
or lightning around. Reading the book alone it looked like we needed to go
to the map page only or the weather page to see the other info (530W). Since
my buddy and I keep the display on the default nav page most of the time,
this is great to have it all simultaneously.

However, as I recall the main nav page on a 430 is the map page, while the
530 has a FMS type view, which is different, so perhaps the weather won't
show up on the 530W on the default main page. Have you seen the info on a
530W?

The 500W/530W has a three map pages instead of the two for the 500/530.
The third page is terrain, according to the trainer. Don't know about
the fitting of the weather. Seems like it would be on Map 1 or 2.
Old February 23rd 07, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

I'm thinking of getting the 430 - 430W upgrade. Does the 430W use
the same Jepp database chip? (The Jepp website doesn't seem to
distinguish.) I'm wondering whether my spare chip will be good, my USB
Skybound will still be good and whether I'll need to switch to (a more
expensive) database.

Old February 23rd 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Viperdoc[_4_]

The flash memory is larger (although physically the same size) compared to
the legacy models. The USB version of Skybound will work, but the PCM-CIA
version is not supported for the new cards.

You will need to upgrade your subscription with Jepp, and they will prorate
your existing one.

ups.com...

Old February 25th 07, 03:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
karl gruber[_1_]

The PCI version will work just fine, according to Jepp.

There is a new card, thus the huge number of old cards being dumped on eBay.

Karl

"Viperdoc" wrote in message
The flash memory is larger (although physically the same size) compared to
the legacy models. The USB version of Skybound will work, but the PCM-CIA
version is not supported for the new cards.

You will need to upgrade your subscription with Jepp, and they will
prorate your existing one.

ups.com...

Old February 25th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Viperdoc[_4_]

I hope it does, but was told by Jepp that only the USB version would work
with the new cards.

Old February 25th 07, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
karl gruber[_1_]

I guess we'll find out. Jeppesen told me it would work.

Oh well, it's not a perfect world.

OTOH, I flew my first LNAV+V approach two days ago. The 430W worked like a
charm. The glide path needle from the WAAS receiver was much more steady
than the ILS glideslope needle into that runway at KTIW RWY 17. On the ILS
the needle usually dips at the shoreline.

Karl

Old February 27th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

karl gruber wrote:
I guess we'll find out. Jeppesen told me it would work.

Oh well, it's not a perfect world.

OTOH, I flew my first LNAV+V approach two days ago. The 430W worked like a
charm. The glide path needle from the WAAS receiver was much more steady
than the ILS glideslope needle into that runway at KTIW RWY 17. On the ILS
the needle usually dips at the shoreline.

No dips with WAAS vertical guidance, whether LPV, VNAV, or LNAV with
vertical advisory.

TSO-C146 really delivers "the goods" for RNAV.