Elevator Turbulator tape question

Old October 7th 03, 03:44 AM
JJ Sinclair

Default Elevator Turbulator tape question

I'm planning on trying turbulator tape (zig-zag, probably) on the
horizontal tail of my Ls-6, in front of the elevator. Anyone have any
experience doing this?

I added .4 mm ziz-zag to to the elevator of my LS-7 and it changed the stall
dramatically. Before adding it, the ship stalled like an old cow, with the
zig-zag, she broke and showed me a windshield full of mother earth. I took it
off.
:)
JJ Sinclair
Old October 7th 03, 09:40 PM
JJ Sinclair

One question - where did you put the tape? top & bottom?, how far in
front of the elevator?

Just forward of the hinge line, top only, as I recall. I put the wide Mylar
with zig-zag on forward edge on the rudder, seemed to help there.
JJ Sinclair
Old October 9th 03, 10:11 PM
Eric Greenwell

In article , stant2
@mindspring.com says...
(JJ Sinclair) wrote in message ...

I added .4 mm ziz-zag to to the elevator of my LS-7 and it changed the stall
dramatically. Before adding it, the ship stalled like an old cow, with the
zig-zag, she broke and showed me a windshield full of mother earth. I took it off.

Interesting. Sounds like the zig-zag really improved the elevator
effectiveness at large defections. Good info, I'll definitely check
that out!

Do you consider it an improvement to get a sharp stall, or is there some
other effect you hope to get with "improved elevator effectiveness"?
--
-------
Eric Greenwell USA
Old October 10th 03, 04:45 AM
Kirk Stant

Eric Greenwell wrote in message et...

Do you consider it an improvement to get a sharp stall, or is there some
other effect you hope to get with "improved elevator effectiveness"?

How else can I get my 6 to snap roll!

Seriously, this was suggested by an experience 6 racer, theory is that
it allows more precise elevator control while thermaling and less
drag. Worth a try. I'm not particularly concerned about sharp
stalls, I love the 2-32 (which has a particularly sharp break for a
glider) and think all pilots should be required to fly (and stall) a
T-6 to see how a real plane flies.

I am curious about which side (top or bottom) of the horizontal stab
should have the turbulator. Intuition tells me it should be on the
bottom, to energize the airflow around the up deflected elevator.

Anyway, it might be fun to find out. Especially since it is a totally
reversible mod.

BTW, two of us flew a 220 mile XC out here in AZ today - 1400' agl
release off tow, Cu's, cloudbase at 12000'. 50 mile final glide under
a thick cirrus deck, started with 350' over a 1 knot MC (!) and made
it home with enough to do a 130 kt low pass (down a runway). Other
guy did 240, and a 65 mile final glide. He beat me, 54 mph to 52 mph.

And we were definitely NOT at 500ft at 1 mile!

Yee hah! I love this sport.

Kirk
66
Old October 10th 03, 02:27 PM
Shaber CJ

and think all pilots should be required to fly (and stall) a
T-6 to see how a real plane flies.

I have lots of time in a T-6 and I am of the opinion that newer designs are
much better. Why not train with aircraft that characteristics of the ones we
fly. The T-6 is heavy, underpowered (in my opinion) has a sharp stall break
and snaps into a spin very easy. There has been several accidents that I know
where a pilot was flying at a heavier weight than normal used a sharp break in
the base to final turn and spin in. I like flying a T-6 but cannot recommend
them for all.

Craig
Old October 10th 03, 08:57 PM
John Cochrane

I would encourage a lot of caution before slapping turbulator tape on
the elevator or elsewhere upwind of control surfaces. There have been
several instances of pilots crashing or having to abandon gliders
because mylar or tape became loose on elevators. If your turbulator
tape causes separation rather than good turbulent flow, you might
follow them. Turbulator tape on the top of wings has caused really
nasty stall/spin problems. Why be a test pilot? Call the
manufacturer! SH was nice enough to provide advice on where I should
put the tape on my old discus.

John Cochrane
Old October 11th 03, 04:33 AM
Kirk Stant

(John Cochrane) wrote in message . com...
I would encourage a lot of caution before slapping turbulator tape on
the elevator or elsewhere upwind of control surfaces. There have been
several instances of pilots crashing or having to abandon gliders
because mylar or tape became loose on elevators. If your turbulator
tape causes separation rather than good turbulent flow, you might
follow them. Turbulator tape on the top of wings has caused really
nasty stall/spin problems. Why be a test pilot? Call the
manufacturer! SH was nice enough to provide advice on where I should
put the tape on my old discus.

John Cochrane

Uh, John, I think you are confusing loose tape with correctly attached
turbulator tape. I've flown gliders with loose tape - I absolutely
agree it is scary, and checking tape is a big part of my preflight. I
check ALL the tape on my 6, everytime I fly (as part of my washing
ritual). On the other hand, turbulator tape should be relatively
benign. Yes, I know, that will look good on my tombstone. But we are
talking about increased elevator effectiveness, not decreased
effectiveness (which is what you get with loose tape). I can handle a
more sentitive elevator, if I'm looking for it.

As the ASW-27s and -28s have elevator turbulators, it probably isn't a
huge deal. But forewarned is forearmed, etc..

Anyway, I appreciate all the comments on this subject. I'm not sure I
will even try it (I'm a cheap guy and $65 for a roll of zig-zag (not
papers, even!) is a bit much) but if I do I'll be real careful and
tell you all what the results were.

C'mon, guys, compared to some of the wiring lash-up I've seen in
gliders, this is a piece of cake! And let's not even start into where
various bits of ballast are being stuck to "move the CG back a bit".
I'm sure some of you will cringe at this, but we still can fiddle
around with our gliders to find out what works best. I hope the
goddamned lawyers never catch up with us (I'll move to Iraq when that
happens), but ITS MY LIFE AND I CAN DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT, THANK YOU
VERY MUCH!

Kirk (last bastion of stupid individualism)
66
Old October 11th 03, 09:44 AM
John

My '6 came with turbulator tape on the bottom surface, just in front
of the elevator. 1994 C model. The stall is very gentle.

J4