online cfig renewal

Old October 22nd 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BB

Default online cfig renewal

I need to renew my CFIG, and it runs out before any of the SSF
clinics. So, online we go

I'd like to hear recommendations and experience of ras people on the
various online options. I'm especially interested in what works for
someone like me with only a glider rating, and I want a course that
does not make you spend a set amount of time in their lessons.

Thanks

John Cochrane BB
Old October 22nd 08, 02:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred Blair

I have used American Flyers for a few renewals. You pay once up front and
from then on there is just a $40 processing fee for the paperwork.

Because there is a 16 hr requirement for the training program to be approved
by the FAA, you do have to spend 16 hrs reading their course work. The
course is divided into smaller sections and each one has a minimum time of
reading, then it lets you take the test on that section. You can not get to
the later sections until complete each section.

The only problem is that it is a generic CFI course so you will have to
learn some new things to pass. Last time I used it, it had a section on
teaching instrument approaches with GPS; lots of new terms to learn.

I find it convenient since I travel a lot.

Fred

Old October 22nd 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Oct 22, 7:27*am, BB wrote:
I need to renew my CFIG, and it runs out before any of the SSF
clinics. So, online we go

I'd like to hear recommendations and experience of ras people on the
various online options. I'm especially interested in what works for
someone like me with only a glider rating, and I want a course that
does not make you spend a set amount of time in their lessons.

Thanks

John Cochrane BB

Although there may be a slight gap, I believe there's one scheduled
for Chicago in late January 2009. The soaring season gap starts in
that area soon, doesn't it?

Also, I'm told the SSF FIRC's are now approved as part of a non-CFI-G
FIRC's, so if there's an instructor you know that wants to expand
their flight knowledge envelope, you might nudge them to attend.

Frank Whiteley
Old October 22nd 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BB

Although there may be a slight gap, I believe there's one scheduled
for Chicago in late January 2009. *The soaring season gap starts in
that area soon, doesn't it?

Alas, CFIG expires 12/08 and the FAA doesn't do "slight gaps"! Hence,
I get to learn how to teach instrument approaches. Ugh!
John Cochrane
Old October 22nd 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

If you'd rather hang out with other pilots for 16 hours instead of the
computer, the AOPA FIRC is another option.

http://www.aopa.org/asf/seminars/sem...RC&SA=ShowForm

But for someone primarily involved in soaring, the SSF one is THE way
to go.

-Tom
Old October 22nd 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

"BB" wrote in message
Although there may be a slight gap, I believe there's one scheduled
for Chicago in late January 2009. The soaring season gap starts in
that area soon, doesn't it?

Alas, CFIG expires 12/08 and the FAA doesn't do "slight gaps"! Hence,
I get to learn how to teach instrument approaches. Ugh!
John Cochrane

_________

This is not exactly the answer you are looking for but this is what I did
when I faced the same delimma this past spring.

I had attended FIRC's for the last three renewals but left feeling something
was missing. (Beyond the $150 that used to be in my wallet.) I wanted a
more rigorus renewal that would teach me something. That led me to retake
the CFI-G practical/written tests.

Of course, I didn't actually take an approved FAA written, I just studied
for it and took a practice exams until I could score in the high 90's. Then
I scheduled a practical flight check with my local DPE and showed him the
results of the practice exam. We did a couple of flights and he signed me
off without charge. I've found that DPE's have a soft spot in their hearts
for CFI-G's and, if you are good, they often won't charge as a professional
courtesy.

Old October 22nd 08, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

"Fred Blair" wrote in message
I have used American Flyers for a few renewals. You pay once up front and from
then on there is just a $40 processing fee for the paperwork.

Because there is a 16 hr requirement for the training program to be approved
by the FAA, you do have to spend 16 hrs reading their course work. The course
is divided into smaller sections and each one has a minimum time of reading,
then it lets you take the test on that section. You can not get to the later
sections until complete each section.

I have used American Flyers for all of my CFIG renewals. It is the biggest
bargain out there. Yes, their course is not targeted for us, so it covers some
things that are not 100% necessary for soaring, but it is difficult to argue
that a wider knowledge base is a bad thing, right?

The 16 hour thing is set by the FAA, but (hint) your computer allows you to
"multitask".

Vaughn

Old October 22nd 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gregg Ballou

I've only used the Gleim online but have heard it is the least painful.
You can open the study page and the question page at the same time and the
time limit isn't rigidly built in. Or so I'm told I always spend at least
16 hours studying and take the tests closed book.

Old October 22nd 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
g l i d e r s t u d

If you have signed off 5 initial students for their checkride, and
have an 80% pass rate, you can take those appropriate records to your
local FSDO office and they will renew your license.

Even after the online stuff or the FSDO office you still have to do a
Flight Review. Finding a DPE or someone from the FSDO office to fly
with may save the most amount of time. You can get the CFIG renewal
and flight review all done at once.

At least that is what I do.

Old October 22nd 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K Baum

On Oct 22, 11:02*am, g l i d e r s t u d
wrote:
If you have signed off 5 initial students for their checkride, and
have an 80% pass rate, you can take those appropriate records to your
local FSDO office and they will renew your license.

Even after the online stuff or the FSDO office you still have to do a
Flight Review. Finding a DPE or someone from the FSDO *office to fly
with may save the most amount of time. You can get the CFIG renewal
and flight review all done at once.

This is the best answer yet. Before the local FSDO glider examiner
retired I used to get a hold of him and we would have the whole thing
done in one afternoon. I have also done the Gliem course and found it
to be most usefull. I learn new stuff every time.
FKBaum