Bad news for our flying club

Old May 23rd 04, 03:00 AM
Shiver Me Timbers

There's also a video clip of the Cri-Cri flying between a couple of
parked cars while a guy on a motorcycle does a ramp jump over
them at the same time.
Old May 23rd 04, 03:55 AM
Jay Honeck

Ever seen the turbine powered Cri-Cri?

THAT is cool!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 23rd 04, 03:56 AM
Jay Honeck

You should shop around insurance companies. You may want to use a
broker for this. I use Wenk Aviation Insurance 847-433-8370. Shannon
is my broker, and I have been very pleased with my rates for both a
Cherokee 180 and a Seneca II.

I'll second Nathan's recommendation. Shannon is the best!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 23rd 04, 02:44 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Ever seen the turbine powered Cri-Cri?

THAT is cool!

There was an article a few years back in one of the UK mags
about flying that.

At one of the PFA Rallies I went to they had a Cri-cri (French
for Cricket, as in grasshopper thing) parked next to a radio
controlled Lancaster bomber. The Lancaster was bigger, at
least in wingspan, possibly in length.

Discovery Wings keeps showing a clip (in their advertising promo
thing) which appears to show a Cri-cri emerging having flown through
the middle of a C5.

Paul

Old May 25th 04, 10:10 AM
calafradulistic

nope they are in the money making business, insurance just happens to be a
means to extract some money from the public. Paying money is not in their
language.

"zatatime" wrote in message
On Sat, 22 May 2004 02:44:35 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

The other flying club on our field has just been told by Avemco that they
won't insure Piper Lances and other large complex planes for flying clubs
any more. Since we've got a Lance as well, we're trying to get a
confirmation from Avemco. If true, this is a big blow.

I wonder if they'd insure a Cherokee 6?

I don't know the real reason, but a Cherokee 6 isn't complex, its High
Performance. Maybe that's the hot button.

Whatever it is, I don't agree with a blanket denial of coverage like
that. Aren't they in the Insurance Business?

Old May 27th 04, 02:26 AM
Roger Halstead

(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

The other flying club on our field has just been told by Avemco that they
won't insure Piper Lances and other large complex planes for flying clubs
any more. Since we've got a Lance as well, we're trying to get a
confirmation from Avemco. If true, this is a big blow.

I wonder if they'd insure a Cherokee 6?

I don't know the real reason, but a Cherokee 6 isn't complex, its High
Performance. Maybe that's the hot button.

Complex = constant speed prop and electric flaps. The 6 still use the
Johnson Bar flaps?

Whatever it is, I don't agree with a blanket denial of coverage like
that. Aren't they in the Insurance Business?

Speaking of insurance... A friend is looking at a Sirrus 22. The
insurance is higher than they quoted me for a G-III first year.
Neither was cheap, but still, the Sirrus was about 1/3 the insurance
for a brand new TBM-700 while the G-III was only a quarter.

My G-III is not flying yet so it's not an issue... yet.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old May 27th 04, 02:30 AM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 23 May 2004 01:11:33 GMT, zatatime
wrote:

On Sun, 23 May 2004 00:34:26 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

In a previous article, "G.R. Patterson III" said:
I was talking with a fellow today who told me about a 60hp turbine
adapted from an APU which is being used in a few homebuilt aircraft. I
assume this one would require a type rating?

Ever seen the turbine powered Cri-Cri?
http://www.amtjets.com/gallery_real_plain.html

H O L Y S ......

I think that's probably the coolest thing I've seen since I fell in
love with some of the classics!!

If you think that's something, look up the price of those model
airplane jet enginsLOL

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Thanks for the link!

Old May 27th 04, 02:39 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Roger Halstead said:
I don't know the real reason, but a Cherokee 6 isn't complex, its High
Performance. Maybe that's the hot button.

Complex = constant speed prop and electric flaps. The 6 still use the
Johnson Bar flaps?

Not even close. Check FAR 61.31(e). Complex requires retractable gear
unless it's a seaplane. And nowhere does it specify that the flaps must
be electric.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"An NT server can be run by an idiot, and usually is." -- Tom Holub, a.h.b-o-i
Old May 27th 04, 02:10 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
If you think that's something, look up the price of those model
airplane jet enginsLOL

http://www.cat-ing.de/turbines/jetca...hlturbinen.htm
http://www.simjet.com/pricedollar.htm
http://www.amtjets.com/form_pricelist.php

Paul

Old May 27th 04, 04:27 PM
Ron Natalie

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message ...

Not even close. Check FAR 61.31(e). Complex requires retractable gear
unless it's a seaplane. And nowhere does it specify that the flaps must
be electric.

Yep, got all those. Neither the flaps or the gear have any electrical components
on my plane save the "green lights" on the gear.