BAF or CEF?

Old October 11th 04, 03:21 PM
Paul Tomblin

From: (Paul Tomblin)
I'm taking the family to visit my step-daughter at Mt. Holyoke College in
Holyoke MA. The two closest major airports are Barnes Muni (BAF) and

I hope this is of some help.

Overall, I would probably suggest CEF as it's likely to be the most convenient.

It turns out that my wife has booked a hotel in Springfield near the
Interstate. I think that means Barnes is closer to the hotel, and the
cheaper landing fees and tie-downs and the more laid-back atmosphere you
mentioned has me leaning that way.

Thanks for your help.

Oh, supplemental question - if I file V2 ALB V146, how likely am I to get
re-routed along the SWEDE ONE arrival? Or should I just bow to inevitable
and file V2 SYR V433 SWEDE.1?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward,
Old October 12th 04, 03:47 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul Tomblin wrote:

I'm taking the family to visit my step-daughter at Mt. Holyoke College in
Holyoke MA. The two closest major airports are Barnes Muni (BAF) and
Springfield/Chikopee (CEF). Both have ILSes, which is something I
appreciate. What I really want to know is which has a better FBO for
tying down for the weekend, renting a car, etc. The two page long list of
remarks for CEF looks a little daunting.

Last year, Elisabeth and I decided to fly in to see the Big-E. Although we wound up
driving (the birds were walking that weekend), I had planned to use CEV. I don't
remember exactly why, but I did get a fair amount of input from people in the area
before deciding.

George Patterson
If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to have
been looking for it.

Old October 12th 04, 05:26 PM

Hi Paul,

From the latest posts I gather this is all academic, but for the
record...

I flew in to CEF about a month ago on an angel flight. It is indeed
joint use and they are currently allowing civilian landings. They
stay open fairly late and the line staff (well, the one guy still
there when I arrived) was very friendly. They had some problems
getting the credit card machine to work so I ended up paying cash for
gas. Otherwise, it was a pleasant experience.

The FBO is at the extreme south side of the field (metro civil
terminal) and if you land "normally" on 23 you'll be taxiing for quite
a while (past all the big reserve hangars, then down a LONG row of yet
more hangars). If the weather permits, ask to land long or land 05.

Best of luck.

mark