New Luxury Tax on Gliders in Canada

Old April 19th 21, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Luxury Tax on Gliders in Canada

Today, the Canadian government announced that a new luxury tax (Italian style) will be implemented Jan 1st, 2022. The tax applies to vehicles retailing for CDN$100,000 (equivalent to US$80,000) at the rate of 10% on total price or 20% on price over CDN$100,000, whichever is less. The sales tax of 13% in Ontario, applies to the total price marked up by the luxury tax! The luxury tax applies to cars, aircraft and boats (at CDN$250,000), but what was amazing (in a bad way) is that they singled out gliders specifically in the announcement yet I’ll bet that far less than 10 new gliders are sold in Canada each year. Seems like the politicians like their boats - no other way to explain the difference for them.
Old April 20th 21, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Seems like we got what we voted for. Suck it up, Cupcake.

What was that I learned in history class? Something about not knowing
about history and having to repeat it?

Dan
5J

Old April 20th 21, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ty Miller

The Canadian Government? An amusing phrase. Perhaps you meant to say the cowering, bought and paid for, Chinese Communist Propaganda Gargling, Canadian Sock Puppets?

Don’t get angry about taxes. Check your privilege and share the bounty! I suggest that you learn to enjoy this new Canadian “Luxury” tax. Think of it as a privilege to be asked to pay it. Considering that Canada is an enlightened country which has voted for Justin Trudip (and his ilk) TWICE in a row, it really should be much worse by now. One could easily argue that you “high on the hog” Canadian fancy sailplane owners are getting off quite easily with “ONLY” a 20% Canadian FU Evil Rich Tax.

Now Cheer Up and be sure to mail in YOUR FAIR SHARE immediately!

Old April 20th 21, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 4/19/21 4:58 PM, wrote:
Today, the Canadian government announced that a new luxury tax (Italian style) will be implemented Jan 1st, 2022. The tax applies to vehicles retailing for CDN$100,000 (equivalent to US$80,000) at the rate of 10% on total price or 20% on price over CDN$100,000, whichever is less. The sales tax of 13% in Ontario, applies to the total price marked up by the luxury tax! The luxury tax applies to cars, aircraft and boats (at CDN$250,000), but what was amazing (in a bad way) is that they singled out gliders specifically in the announcement yet I’ll bet that far less than 10 new gliders are sold in Canada each year. Seems like the politicians like their boats - no other way to explain the difference for them.

Be aware Dan, the same thing could be happening here soon with the goof and bimbo in office. Old Bob
Old April 20th 21, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_7_]

On 4/19/21 4:58 PM, wrote:
Today, the Canadian government announced that a new luxury tax (Italian style) will be implemented Jan 1st, 2022. The tax applies to vehicles retailing for CDN$100,000 (equivalent to US$80,000) at the rate of 10% on total price or 20% on price over CDN$100,000, whichever is less. The sales tax of 13% in Ontario, applies to the total price marked up by the luxury tax! The luxury tax applies to cars, aircraft and boats (at CDN$250,000), but what was amazing (in a bad way) is that they singled out gliders specifically in the announcement yet I’ll bet that far less than 10 new gliders are sold in Canada each year. Seems like the politicians like their boats - no other way to explain the difference for them.

Be aware Dan, the same thing could be happening here soon with the goof and bimbo in office. Old Bob

Sounds like a shot in the arm for market prices of Schweizer, Glasflugel, etc.!
Old April 21st 21, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

Canadians have to remember that we are really buying glider kits in a Cobra box. Have manufacturer issue separate invoices for kit parts. Ship to US port. Arrange spots to store kit parts on both sides of the Canada /US border. Bring no more than $100,000 CDN worth of aircraft parts across the border at a time.

If you don't arrange with RIV (Registrar of Imported Vehicles) ahead of time, there will be a delay of some weeks while RIV performs its bureaucratic self abuse before you can take the trailer back across the border to retrieve the remaining kit parts. Perhaps you can swap trailers with a buddy with a compatible glider.

Likely the border will be open by the time the tax becomes effective.
Old April 21st 21, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On 4/20/2021 10:44 PM, George Haeh wrote:
Canadians have to remember that we are really buying glider kits in a Cobra box.

George must be a motorglider pilot!

Old April 22nd 21, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 4/20/2021 10:44 PM, George Haeh wrote:
Canadians have to remember that we are really buying glider kits in a Cobra box.

George must be a motorglider pilot!

Dave, I had surgery today and this is the first laugh of the day, do you guys have something in common?
Old April 22nd 21, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

On 4/20/2021 10:44 PM, George Haeh wrote:
Canadians have to remember that we are really buying glider kits in a Cobra box.

George must be a motorglider pilot!

There's a serious diesel motor on the other end of the winch line.

Send money and I'll be happy to try out my strategy with a self launch order.
Old April 22nd 21, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_5_]

Sadly, the revenue generated by this tax on new gliders will probably not cover the administrative costs to implement it.