Looking for sand paper rolls and adhesive

Old July 30th 03, 07:19 PM
Roger Halstead

Default Looking for sand paper rolls and adhesive

Where in the devil can I find sand paper long enough to use on my 4
foot long block sander? That and the adhesive for applying it.

I've been resorting to using shorter pieces and self stick adhesive
but I really don't like using 4 pieces of sandpaper.

I have a small bottle of the "self stick" kind that you smear on
sanding disks to use with a disk sander and it works fine for the
block sander, but I don't have much left and the only alternative so
far is going to be contact cement. That stuff is permanent! It'd
make changing sand paper a real bear.

All the stores I've found so far sell the sanding disks with the
adhesive already applied and no longer carry the adhesive.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)
Old July 30th 03, 07:48 PM
Bart D. Hull

Roger,

Try a woodworking shop. They usually have sander/planer machines that
use a long strip of sandpaper. I get 50 ft rolls of whatever grit I want
(up to about 360) for about $15.00 a roll.

As far as the adhesive goes, I can still get the DA quick stick adhesive
from a local automotive paint store.

Hope that gives you some ideas on local places to check.

Bart
--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Old July 30th 03, 07:52 PM
Rich S.

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message
Where in the devil can I find sand paper long enough to use on my 4
foot long block sander? That and the adhesive for applying it.

I love to deal with the folks at
http://www.industrialabrasives.com/index.html

Rich S.

Old July 30th 03, 08:39 PM
Corky Scott

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:19:29 GMT, Roger Halstead
wrote:

Where in the devil can I find sand paper long enough to use on my 4
foot long block sander? That and the adhesive for applying it.

I've been resorting to using shorter pieces and self stick adhesive
but I really don't like using 4 pieces of sandpaper.

I have a small bottle of the "self stick" kind that you smear on
sanding disks to use with a disk sander and it works fine for the
block sander, but I don't have much left and the only alternative so
far is going to be contact cement. That stuff is permanent! It'd
make changing sand paper a real bear.

All the stores I've found so far sell the sanding disks with the
adhesive already applied and no longer carry the adhesive.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

Roger, I've found rolls of sandpaper, sticky on one side so as to rip
off what you need and stick to the sander at hardware stores. You can
also get that stuff at auto parts places, especial those that cater to
the auto body business.

Corky Scott
Old July 30th 03, 11:14 PM
BD5ER

Where in the devil can I find sand paper long enough to use on my 4
foot long block sander? That and the adhesive for applying it.

The others have pretty well covered the paper. Another option for the adhesive
is 3M 77 or similar spray adhesive. Any hardware store or Wal-Mart should have
that. Around here even the body shops no longer stock the DA adhesive.
Old July 30th 03, 11:20 PM
Richard Lamb

Save that protective "paper" that peels off to expose the sticky.

Very handy with Stiffs when ironing problem spots.
It won't stick to the poly stuff (within reason anyway).

Old July 31st 03, 08:21 AM
Roger Halstead

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 22:20:14 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

Save that protective "paper" that peels off to expose the sticky.

Very handy with Stiffs when ironing problem spots.
It won't stick to the poly stuff (within reason anyway).

It also makes a good substitute for masking tape when using resin.
Actually it's better than masking tape as the adhesive on the tape
seems to go to pot around Vinyl Ester Resin. You sure don't use
Vinyl Ester Resin around styrofoam either. Unlike Epoxy, the resin
dissolves the styrofoam.

Corky Scott wrote:

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:19:29 GMT, Roger Halstead
wrote:

snip

Roger, I've found rolls of sandpaper, sticky on one side so as to rip
off what you need and stick to the sander at hardware stores. You can
also get that stuff at auto parts places, especial those that cater to
the auto body business.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the suggestions.

I've already tried the local hardware stores and building supplies and
came up with zilch, but hadn't thought of the auto stores.

I have to go to Mt pleasant tomorrow (Monday) so I may hit up the
hardware and builder supply stores there...

Sears doesn't carry the stuff in Midland...then again I'm beginning to
believe that store is on the way out. They just reduced the stuff
they carry by quite a bit. Eliminated the paint department, reduced
the home plumbing section to just slightly more than zilch...they are
taking on the appearance of a store in deep trouble.

Finding those big rolls with the self stick back would be great.

Well, better turn into a pumpkin...It's nearly 3:30 and my appointment
is at 1:30 over there.

Old August 7th 03, 02:37 PM
Bruce Gray

Goto your local auto body supply store and buy 3M Gold paper in rolls 3.5
inches wide and 25 yards long. Already has sticky stuff on one side. Just
cut and stick.

Bruce
www.glasair.org

Old August 8th 03, 08:58 AM
Roger Halstead

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 09:37:02 -0400, "Bruce Gray"
wrote:

Goto your local auto body supply store and buy 3M Gold paper in rolls 3.5
inches wide and 25 yards long. Already has sticky stuff on one side. Just
cut and stick.

I found some.. It's actually 27 meters, or just about 30 yards, but
costs $47 plus change and tax per roll. They carry two sizes. 2 3/4
and 3 2/3 wide. (they were out of the 3 2/3rds.), but it's workin'

Oh..They also had the "spray on" stickum. Other than it's 12 bucks a
can and they are pretty small cans.

Thanks guys.