Light Sport Aircraft survey

Old May 26th 05, 02:17 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, "Lakeview Bill" said:
The Alaraus is not a Light Sport Aircraft by US standards.

Reading over the email, he never actually said it was a LSA - I
misinterpreted since first he introduced the Alarus, and then he asked if
the club was interested in adding a LSA to the fleet.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than up there
Old May 26th 05, 03:43 AM
ls

gilan wrote:
Do you own or are you planning to buy or build an aircraft that fits into
the Light Sport Aircraft rules? The airplane can be an older "factory"
certified airplane such as the Cub or Ercoupe, a new "factory" S-LSA or an
experimental that does or will comply with the LSA rules.

I just bought N646F, a Kolb Firestar II that's registered experimental
A/B (and is well within the LSA restrictions).

I don't plan to buy an SLSA. What few that are currently are available
are way way too expensive...

If I build my next plane, I'll likely simply register it experimental,
since about the same amount of work and paperwork will likely be
involved and I'll be able to get the repairman's cert without taking the
class.

I personally don't see any utility for the ELSA and especially the SLSA
classifications, at least not at this point.

Right now, you basically already have to have a ticket to participate in
Sport Pilot since you can't really get a Sport Pilot ticket yet. This is
more or less the same situation with the planes as well....... May as
well go experimental..

LS
N646F
Old May 26th 05, 09:13 AM
AINut

Morgans wrote:
"gilan" wrote

Do you own or are you planning to buy or build an aircraft that fits into
the Light Sport Aircraft rules?

No, certainly not until the prices get out of the stratosphere and back

to something reasonable, like, say, ultralights! (which they are!)

David
PP-ASEL
Old May 27th 05, 03:16 PM
Rick Pellicciotti

Paul kgyy wrote:

If I took this route, it would probably be driven by price, and I don't
think I would build. If I'm going to invest the time to build
something, I'd rather build something fast like a Velocity. If I could
get a new LSA aircraft for less than $75K, I'd consider a new one,
otherwise probably go with an oldie for which parts were still easily
available - maybe an ERcoupe so I could learn to do crosswind landings
with feet on the floor :-)

Paul,
You can certainly get a new LSA aircraft for that price. There are
several out there in that range. At the moment, I think thare are 3
types that are actually certified, more coming every week or so.

Following the conventions of this group, I won't mention the airplane I
sell or the prices. If you are interested, email me off the group and I
will send you details.

Regards,

Rick Pellicciotti
http://www.lightsportflying.com

Old May 27th 05, 03:49 PM
Allen

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
If I took this route, it would probably be driven by price, and I don't
think I would build. If I'm going to invest the time to build
something, I'd rather build something fast like a Velocity. If I could
get a new LSA aircraft for less than $75K, I'd consider a new one,
otherwise probably go with an oldie for which parts were still easily
available - maybe an ERcoupe so I could learn to do crosswind landings
with feet on the floor :-)

I read somewhere that a company plans on tooling up to build the Taylorcraft
in an old bus manufacturing plant in Brownsville, TX. Retail estimate of
about $60,000 per aircraft.

Allen

Old May 27th 05, 04:29 PM
Montblack

("Rick Pellicciotti" wrote)
Following the conventions of this group, I won't mention the airplane I
sell or the prices. If you are interested, email me off the group and I
will send you details.

It's not spam (IMHO) if the post is requested ...it's hangar talk. g

Post your plane's link and tell us what's special about it - and don't
forget those prices ($$$$$). Many interested people here. Be prepared for
some, um, feedback :-)

Will it, and you, be at Oshkosh?

Montblack

Old May 27th 05, 04:57 PM
Allen

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Rick Pellicciotti" wrote)
Following the conventions of this group, I won't mention the airplane I
sell or the prices. If you are interested, email me off the group and I
will send you details.

It's not spam (IMHO) if the post is requested ...it's hangar talk. g

Post your plane's link and tell us what's special about it - and don't
forget those prices ($$$$$). Many interested people here. Be prepared for
some, um, feedback :-)

Uh, I think he did in the original post.

Old May 27th 05, 05:36 PM
Montblack

("Allen" wrote)
Uh, I think he did in the original post.

You are correct.

I clicked his sig link the first time around and thought it was just an
industry info page - didn't investigate any further.

This time I went in: "Our subsidiary, LightSportFlying.com" ---- now I get
it.

Montblack

Old May 27th 05, 05:44 PM
xyzzy

Paul kgyy wrote:

If I took this route, it would probably be driven by price, and I don't
think I would build. If I'm going to invest the time to build
something, I'd rather build something fast like a Velocity. If I could
get a new LSA aircraft for less than $75K, I'd consider a new one,
otherwise probably go with an oldie for which parts were still easily
available - maybe an ERcoupe so I could learn to do crosswind landings
with feet on the floor :-)

I've found Ercoupes fascinating for a long time and have been watching
them, looks like they took about a $5,000+ jump in price when the LSA
rule came out. That's a lot for an airplane that used to sell in the
high teens and low 20's.

Old May 27th 05, 06:03 PM
W P Dixon

Sport Pilot definitely caused a rush to buy older planes that would meet the
category. It was great to see those old classic planes being wanted again. I
have noticed here lately that the price jump is going back to a modest
amount, which is a good thing for us poor pilots ! There is a Ercoupe for
sale here for 14,500 with 24 SMOH , could use a paint job, but all in all
not a bad deal. From what I have seen prices are from 13,000 -18,000 with a
few here and there above or below it.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech