MoGas Tips, Tricks, Concerns, How To

Old May 12th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default MoGas Tips, Tricks, Concerns, How To

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"soxinbox" wrote in message
If you run your car engine on 80 octane mogas, it will usually run fine.
If your car overheats, it will start to knock. If you have 100 octane gas
it will start to knock at a higher CHT than if you ran at 80 octane. This
is not usually a problem in a car that has a radiator and thermostat to
regulate the temperature.

I can't remember seeing anything less than 85 octane car gas since, oh,
maybe the 60's?

Around here the grades on the pump are 83,89 and 93. Here=South & Central
Arkansas.

Old May 12th 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
As posted before, the head honcho at Dawley Aviation (the exhaust
system folks in Burlington, WI) told me personally that running lean of
peak has been the best thing that EVER happened to their business.

And has been pointed out in this group previously, he's full of ****.

Hmmm. Let's see. Shall I believe the guy who runs a multi-million
dollar aircraft exhaust system business (and has no incentive to lie to
me),

Who said he was lying?

Golly, what a conundrum...

Indeed, when you don't know the difference between "falsehood" and
"mistaken".

English major, huh?

Maybe you can have him explain how he's doing such a great business in when
maybe 5% of the aircraft are being run LOP?

Maybe you can have him explain how that happens when the EGT is symetrical
on either side of peak EGT, and the CHT is actually cooler...much cooler?

or shall I believe Usenet?

Did he give you as data-intensive an answer as you got on UseNet (complete
with charts and graphs?

Or maybe you can go back and bury your head in the sand.

Old May 12th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"soxinbox" wrote in message
If you run your car engine on 80 octane mogas, it will usually run fine.
If your car overheats, it will start to knock. If you have 100 octane gas
it will start to knock at a higher CHT than if you ran at 80 octane. This
is not usually a problem in a car that has a radiator and thermostat to
regulate the temperature.

I can't remember seeing anything less than 85 octane car gas since, oh,
maybe the 60's?

Around here the grades on the pump are 83,89 and 93. Here=South & Central
Arkansas.

I've always wondered why the mogas octane levels are different around
various areas of the US. Where I live (northwest), our mogas is
87, 89 and 92.

Bela P. Havasreti
Old May 12th 06, 03:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On Thu, 11 May 2006 19:01:16 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

"Bela P. Havasreti" wrote in message
news
Perhaps a more useful comparison would be how much
lead is/was in 80/87 vs 100LL?

Those of use with older, low compression engines that were designed
to run on 80/87 may be introducing 4 times the amount of lead into our
combustion chambers by running 100LL than the original designers had
intended for.

80/87 has a maximum of 0.5 grams of lead per US gallon while 100LL has
a maximum of 2.0 grams of lead per US gallon. Unleaded Mogas is...
well... Unleaded!

In reading about this somewhere (AvWeb? EAA?) I recall words to the
effect that the refineries can get up to about 97 octane without any
lead, and they only add as much in to get to (or slightly exceed) the
100 octane rating.

This one: http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182149-1.html

That's it! Thanks for the link (bookmarked it this time).

Bela P. Havasreti

Old May 12th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"soxinbox" wrote in message
If you run your car engine on 80 octane mogas, it will usually run
fine.
If your car overheats, it will start to knock. If you have 100 octane
gas
it will start to knock at a higher CHT than if you ran at 80 octane.
This
is not usually a problem in a car that has a radiator and thermostat to
regulate the temperature.

I can't remember seeing anything less than 85 octane car gas since, oh,
maybe the 60's?

Around here the grades on the pump are 83,89 and 93. Here=South & Central
Arkansas.

I've always wondered why the mogas octane levels are different around
various areas of the US. Where I live (northwest), our mogas is
87, 89 and 92.

Altitude - higher needs more octane.

Old May 12th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

("Matt Barrow" wrote)

"Or maybe you can go back and bury your head in the [corn]."

Montblack
Old May 12th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Altitude - higher needs more octane.

Altitude-higher needs less octane

Karl
ATP CFI ETC
"Curator" N185KG

Old May 12th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"karl gruber" wrote in message

Altitude - higher needs more octane.

Altitude-higher needs less octane

Correct -- that's what I get for rewording it three times.

Old May 12th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Montblack" wrote in message
("Matt Barrow" wrote)

"Or maybe you can go back and bury your head in the [corn]."

Oh, now that's low (this time of year).