MoGas Tips, Tricks, Concerns, How To

Old May 12th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default MoGas Tips, Tricks, Concerns, How To

Jay Honeck wrote:
Hmmm. Let's see. Shall I believe the guy who runs a multi-million
dollar aircraft exhaust system business (and has no incentive to lie to
me), or shall I believe Usenet?

Teledyne Continental and (I think) Lycoming have both gone on record
to say that mogas is damaging to their engines. They are certainly
multi-millon dollar aircraft engine companies and have have no
incentive to lie to you.

Yet you, Jay, are an ardent user of mogas. Who do believe: the engine
companies or Usenet?

I'd ask your exhaust system rebuilder to show you the data. I doubt
he really has any and that he is perpetrating yet another aviation
old wives tale. If he does actually have valid data, I'd wager that
a different conclusion could be drawn from it.

--
Frank Stutzman (who uses both mogas AND LOP operations)
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old May 12th 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message

Teledyne Continental and (I think) Lycoming have both gone on record
to say that mogas is damaging to their engines. They are certainly
multi-millon dollar aircraft engine companies and have have no
incentive to lie to you.

They are also multi-million dollar aircraft engine companies that recommend
against LOP operation. (Unless you are running a FADEC system).

Allen

Old May 12th 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Bela P. Havasreti" wrote in message
In reading about this somewhere (AvWeb? EAA?) I recall words to the
effect that the refineries can get up to about 97 octane without any
lead, and they only add as much in to get to (or slightly exceed) the
100 octane rating.

This one: http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/182149-1.html

That's it! Thanks for the link (bookmarked it this time).

Most welcome!!

In another article, Deakin was talking about GAMI running a 375HP Lycoming
540 (the one most prone to detonation) on unleaded 95 octane gas on their
test-stand with their experimental PRISM system with nary a burp. AIR,
they've run TNIO-550's on mogas with the PRISM system, too.

Unfortunately, they're about three years overdue for their hoped for STC.

Old May 12th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Or maybe you can go back and bury your head in the [corn]."

Get it right:

"Or maybe you can go back and bury your head in the [ethanol]."

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 12th 06, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
oups.com...
"Or maybe you can go back and bury your head in the [corn]."

Get it right:

"Or maybe you can go back and bury your head in the [ethanol]."

:-)

Dammit! Use a STRAW!!

Old May 12th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"Allen" wrote in message
. com...
They are also multi-million dollar aircraft engine companies that
recommend against LOP operation. (Unless you are running a FADEC
system).

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

Have they ever shown you or anyone else REAL DATA?

No? Gee, why not?

Yes, like Lycoming who recommends 50ROP. Got any idea what THAT will do to
your valves, heads, exhaust system?

Oh, and Columbia recommends LOP for it's IO-550'ed 400 model.

Well gee, think of the lure that TCM would have to produce engines for
aircraft manufacturers if they could tout running lean of peak. They don't.
Why not? Warranty costs. Get a clue.

Old May 12th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Matt Barrow wrote:
"Allen" wrote in message
. com...
Jay Honeck wrote:
Hmmm. Let's see. Shall I believe the guy who runs a multi-million
dollar aircraft exhaust system business (and has no incentive to lie to
me), or shall I believe Usenet?

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message

Teledyne Continental and (I think) Lycoming have both gone on record
to say that mogas is damaging to their engines. They are certainly
multi-millon dollar aircraft engine companies and have have no
incentive to lie to you.

They are also multi-million dollar aircraft engine companies that
recommend against LOP operation. (Unless you are running a FADEC system).

Have they ever shown you or anyone else REAL DATA?

No? Gee, why not?

Yes, like Lycoming who recommends 50ROP. Got any idea what THAT will do to
your valves, heads, exhaust system?

Oh, and Columbia recommends LOP for it's IO-550'ed 400 model.

Mirage/Malibu models with certain engines need to be ran LOP, per the
POH, too.

From what I've been reading on the Mooney list by Walter Atkinson, LOP
is a Good Thing, and even doable on carbureted engines (one needs to
play with the carb heat setting, an engine analyzer and a carb temp
gauge are de rigueur).

-jav
Old May 12th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Bela P. Havasreti wrote:

Around here the grades on the pump are 83,89 and 93. Here=South & Central
Arkansas.

I think he's mistaken on the 83.

I've always wondered why the mogas octane levels are different around
various areas of the US. Where I live (northwest), our mogas is
87, 89 and 92.

The lowest octane that you find in a given area has to do with altitude.
The higher you are the less octane you need. Around here regular is 85.5
Old May 12th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Allen wrote:

They are also multi-million dollar aircraft engine companies that recommend
against LOP operation. (Unless you are running a FADEC system).

Yes, suddenly it's OK to run LOP when you give them $10K for their FADEC.
Old May 12th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Allen wrote:

Well gee, think of the lure that TCM would have to produce engines for
aircraft manufacturers if they could tout running lean of peak. They don't.
Why not? Warranty costs. Get a clue.

It doesn't matter where you run your engine. If you run it wrong it
will cause warranty claims.