Air Force investigating intermittent engine failure on aircraft.

Old November 21st 06, 03:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob Moore

Default Air Force investigating intermittent engine failure on aircraft.

Ron wrote
I just learned it is a Navy P-3. Who routinely shutdown one
engine to save on fuel costs (the cheapos).

NOPE!! We shut down one or two engines to extend the patrol
time. Something that is peculiar only to constant speed
turboprop engines.

Bob Moore
VP-46 1965-1967
PanAm (retired)
Old November 21st 06, 04:00 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Boomerang

Two points - First, the fact that she's in the left seat doesn't imply she's
the PPC. Seat rotation is quite routine in the VP community. Second, as a
former VP Commanding Officer, we always tried to have at least one crew for
a first tour (read LTJG) PPC in the P3. Earlier in the twelve plane SP-2H
outfits, we frequently had two or sometimes three first-tour guys with
crews.

Old November 21st 06, 08:50 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Harriet and John

With all due respect and as a matter of possible interest, even though this
may be a shopped photo, she's flying with number one feathered, probably on
station, a completely normal situation for economical station keeping. Lots
of P3 drivers take great pains in this mode to remember in an emergency that
number one's caged and NOT reach for that yellow handle when you need to
feather one of the others. I knew a guy who put his ball cap on the number
one engine handle for that purpose, and if the purse works for her, so what?

Old November 21st 06, 09:36 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ron

"Blue Oval/Dan Edwards" wrote in message
. ..
Ron,
I know that you know your stuff. If you remember, you and I went round
and round about the F-4 Phantoms on pedestals I posted over a year ago
from
WPAFB. I said they were E's, you said they were D's. You were right, I was
wrong. I even went back to prove you were wrong and saw the plaques on the
pedestals which clearly said they were D's. I photographed them and posted
them with an apology to you.
They have since removed the two Phantoms and replaced them with an F-15
and F-16. Kind of made me sad since the Phantom is my all time "phavorite
phighter". Fell in love with the Phantoms while stationed at Kunsan AB,
Korea from June 1974 to June 1975.

How dare they! Those guys have no sense of history. Nothing bad about the
F-15 and -16, but removing Phantoms from their honorary place...
I just hope they do not end on a scrapheap.

Ron

Old November 21st 06, 09:40 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ron

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...
Ron wrote
I just learned it is a Navy P-3. Who routinely shutdown one
engine to save on fuel costs (the cheapos).

NOPE!! We shut down one or two engines to extend the patrol
time. Something that is peculiar only to constant speed
turboprop engines.

I just *knew* some Navy guy would take the bait... :-)

Either way: you got extra flight-time at a bargain price.

Ron
--
Non urinat in ventum

Old November 21st 06, 09:56 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Netko

Default Air Force investigating intermittent engine failure on aircraft. - buster.jpg (1/1) [52K]

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:50:20 +0000, Harriet and John wrote
(in message ):

feather one of the others. I knew a guy who put his ball cap on the number

It's childish, I know, but this put me in mind of Buster Gonad,
seen here on the nose of an RAF Jaguar during Operation Granby,
1990-91.

--

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	buster.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	908
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buster.jpg (71.1 KB, 23 views)
Old November 21st 06, 11:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Scubabix

In fact, #1 engine does not drive any compressors or generators or other
flight necessary equipment to allow it to be shut down without losing
systems. I do have a feeling that this photo was either staged or
Photoshop'd. I don't know a single Flight Engineer that would let a pilot
hang anything on their E-handles.
Rob
SH-2F
SH-3H
P-3C Sensor Three (Retired)

Old November 22nd 06, 01:49 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Grumpy AuContraire

Bob Moore wrote:

David Hartung wrote
With a ltJG as aircraft commander?

Could be....but when I served as a P-3 Patrol Plane Commander,
unlike airline practice, we rotated seats with all of the pilots
on the crew. Alan, Rick, and Mal got as much time in the left
seat as I did. Al Anderson, the assigned SIC was also rated as
a PPC and I felt quite comfortable seated in the cabin while he
and Rick or Mal flew routine flights.

Bob Moore
VP-46 1965-1967
PanAm (retired)

And in many cases, the enlisted crew (and guests) got some right seat time...

JT
Old November 22nd 06, 01:54 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
David Hartung

Boomerang wrote:
Two points - First, the fact that she's in the left seat doesn't imply she's
the PPC. Seat rotation is quite routine in the VP community. Second, as a
former VP Commanding Officer, we always tried to have at least one crew for
a first tour (read LTJG) PPC in the P3. Earlier in the twelve plane SP-2H
outfits, we frequently had two or sometimes three first-tour guys with
crews.

Thanks for the education.
Old November 22nd 06, 03:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob Moore

Grumpy AuContraire wrote
And in many cases, the enlisted crew (and guests) got some right seat
time...

Naw! Mine got "left seat" time.....and thought that they were
great pilots with the "control wheel stearing" ON. :-)

Bob

AA Engine failure at LAX... .Blueskies. Piloting 3 June 13th 06 11:05 PM
engine failure swag Piloting 16 June 8th 06 06:13 PM
Engine failure Jase Vanover Piloting 59 October 30th 05 05:43 PM
In-Flight Engine Failure O. Sami Saydjari Owning 59 April 30th 04 08:40 AM