Beer, "God had told him to crash the airplane," and other odd tales.

Old April 19th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default Beer, "God had told him to crash the airplane," and other odd tales.

Beer makes for some unusual tales - at least that is what I found when I
used that single keyword in a search of the NTSB accident database - though
I expanded the search back to 1-1-1962 which yielded some of the more, um,
interesting tales. 68 records contain the word "beer" - yet no matches with
both "beer" and "stupid" probably because that would be redundant.
("Stupid" yields only 8 records.) Here's one from 1983:

(All caps removed and abbreviations expanded

"The aircraft nosed over during a landing in a field near Yerrington,
Nevada. After police found empty beer cans and some unidentified drugs in
the aircraft, the pilot resisted arrest and assaulted the officers. When
interviewed at a hospital, he stated "It was his time to go" and that "God
had told him to crash the airplane." He also stated that a briefcase with
money in it flew out the rear window and that he taped the window shut
while in flight. There was tape on the window; however it was found on the
outside of the aircraft."

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...14X43404&key=1
Old April 19th 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:17:48 -0000, Jim Logajan
wrote in :

Beer makes for some unusual tales - at least that is what I found when I
used that single keyword in a search of the NTSB accident database - though
I expanded the search back to 1-1-1962 which yielded some of the more, um,
interesting tales.

It might be interesting to use the search term 'God' and see what you
find.

Irrational beliefs ultimately lead to irrational acts.
-- Larry Dighera,
Old April 19th 07, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

wrote in :

Beer makes for some unusual tales - at least that is what I found
when I used that single keyword in a search of the NTSB accident
database - though I expanded the search back to 1-1-1962 which
yielded some of the more, um, interesting tales.

It might be interesting to use the search term 'God' and see what you
find.

I think we have a new game to play with the NTSB database.

Old April 19th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Erik

wrote in :

Beer makes for some unusual tales - at least that is what I found
when I used that single keyword in a search of the NTSB accident
database - though I expanded the search back to 1-1-1962 which
yielded some of the more, um, interesting tales.

It might be interesting to use the search term 'God' and see what you
find.

I think we have a new game to play with the NTSB database.

Oh, wow. It's interesting to look up the airpark where I'm flying out
of.