Aircraft Carrier naming

Old January 19th 04, 03:15 AM
Lynn in StLou

Joe Delphi wrote:

There are two USS Sullivans - the first one, referred to below, was used in
WW2 and Korea, the second ship DDG-668 was the one to which I was referring.

JD

Vaughn wrote in message

"Joe Delphi" wrote in message
hlink.net...

And in answer to another poster's question, I believe that the USS (The)
Sullivans is still a commissioned ship.

From: http://www.buffalonavalpark.org/sullivan.htm
USS THE SULLIVANS ( DD-537 )
Fletcher Class Destroyer
Launched April 4, 1943 at Bethlehem Steel Corporation, San Francisco CA.
Commissioned September 30, 1943
Decommissioned 1965

Vaughn

JD

You are completely forgetting there is an Arleigh Burke
class The Sullivans. DDG-68

--
Lynn in StLou
REMOVE anti-spam measure to reply

Old January 19th 04, 03:58 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 1/17/04 7:18 PM, in article , "Mike
Kanze" wrote:

I've always been bothered by this trend, even if the namesake has been dead
for a while.

Unfortunately I suspect this was / still is a necessary "evil" for the Navy
to get the force it needs. Especially concerning those ships named for
congressional bigwigs.

And I know exactly which ship type I'd like named for SEN Clinton.
(Actually, a whole class of ships honoring the likes of Hilary Clinton, Pat
Schroeder, Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi . . . and of course Monica Lewinski.)

Owl, I respect your opinion immensely, but it kind of reminds me of Charles
Durning (Senator) in "The Final Countdown" Protesting about ADM Nimitz's
name being on CVN-68.

I understand the risks (what if the namesake disgraces the name
post-christening), but I've never put that much thought into it, so it's
never bothered me. Perhaps I need to gel an opinion. That having been
said...

--
Mike Kanze

"If it's good enough to get shot at in, it's good enough to wear to
McDonalds."

- CDR Doug "Woody" Beal, USN (Referring to the wearing of military uniform
clothing, like flight suits, off-base.)

USNR actually

What's THIS! You're quoting me?

Now THAT'S something new. Truth be told, I'm not the original author. I
plagiarized the phrase from a buddy (anonymous Naval aviator?). I'm just
the first to say it in RAMN--even though I still stand by the belief.

Can't take credit for another man's greatness.

--Woody

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
Anybody else bothered by the naming of US aircraft carriers after
people who were still living at the time? I'm sure that Carl Vinson
(CVN-70) & John C. Stennis (CVN-74) did good thing but to have a
carrier named after them? I wish the US Navy would go back to naming
carriers after famous battles & ships. Would it not be great to have
in the fleet carriers again named USS Hornet, Lexington, Saratoga,
Oriskany. It would honor the sailors that served on these great ships.

From: http://www.buffalonavalpark.org/sullivan.htm
USS THE SULLIVANS ( DD-537 )
Fletcher Class Destroyer
Launched April 4, 1943 at Bethlehem Steel Corporation, San Francisco CA.
Commissioned September 30, 1943
Decommissioned 1965

Vaughn

JD

You are completely forgetting there is an Arleigh Burke class The
Sullivans. DDG-68

My bad...only two, but DDG-68 is the correct hull number,
not DDG-668

Old January 19th 04, 03:58 PM
T Bird

And how about another USS Yorktown . Served on CV-10 . 2-63 to 6-65 .
Good duty , Two WestPacs , Loved my homeport . Long Beach .

Old January 19th 04, 06:47 PM
Mike Kanze

Wait until the Navy starts accepting commercial sponsors in order to
increase their budget. We could be looking at the USS Taco Bell some day.
Before you laugh, don't forget that local and state governments are already
renaming public sport and civic centers after commercial investors as a
source of income. Lets face it, nothing is sacred when it comes to money.

A concept that may work well for getting the ship built, but that founders
(pun intended) if the ship is heavily damaged or sunk.

In the civilian world, consumer products companies weigh this risk all the
time when choosing their media. Think of the risk / reward trade-off for
plastering your brand's logo on a race car and you'll get the idea.

******

On a humorous note, would anyone in r.a.m.n. wish to contribute to a list of
ship classes with corresponding prospective commercial name sponsors?

For example:

Fleet oilers:
USS Chevron-Texaco, USS Valero, USS Arco, USS Beacon, USS Rotten Robbie,
etc.

(I think you get the idea.)

--
Mike Kanze

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

-Mark Twain

"John Fitzpatrick" wrote in message
Wait until the Navy starts accepting commercial sponsors in order

increase their budget. We could be looking at the USS Taco Bell some day.
Before you laugh, don't forget that local and state governments are

already
renaming public sport and civic centers after commercial investors as a
source of income. Lets face it, nothing is sacred when it comes to money.

Fitz

Old January 19th 04, 06:48 PM
Mike Kanze

What's THIS! You're quoting me?

Now THAT'S something new. Truth be told, I'm not the original author. I
plagiarized the phrase from a buddy (anonymous Naval aviator?). I'm just
the first to say it in RAMN--even though I still stand by the belief.

Can't take credit for another man's greatness.

Woody,

Thanks for clarifying your role in the evolution of the quote, and for
crediting your bud. However, you were the first (AFAIK) to put it into
print.

And there are your ~15 minutes of fame. g

--
Mike Kanze

436 Greenbrier Road
Half Moon Bay, California 94019-2259
USA

650-726-7890

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."

-Mark Twain

"Doug "Woody" and Erin Beal" wrote in message
[rest snipped]

Old January 19th 04, 08:08 PM
Jim Carriere

"Mike Kanze" wrote in message
On a humorous note, would anyone in r.a.m.n. wish to contribute to a list

of
ship classes with corresponding prospective commercial name sponsors?

For example:

Fleet oilers:
USS Chevron-Texaco, USS Valero, USS Arco, USS Beacon, USS Rotten Robbie,
etc.

What about the composite squadrons that provide target services?

"Bubba's Skeet Shooting Emporium"

Old January 19th 04, 09:25 PM
Mike Kanze

Jim,

In reality, I sorta recall that one of the WWII-era VU (utility) squadrons
had a patch with a stork or a pelican carrying an obviously well-used
diaper. The motto below this figure read, "We Haul All The Sh*t", or
somesuch.