Aviation Movies?

Old June 1st 05, 01:43 AM
Antoņio

Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,
dancingstarcreations
wrote:

Dave Burton wrote:

Here is you chance to suggest movies to show at a fly-in....

Why "The Aviator" of course! True story, great performances, 5 academy
awards, the most incredible crash scene I've ever seen, and a chance to
give one of our nation's most enigmatic figures some well-deserved
recognition as an aviation pioneer.

BTW....once you see the movie you'll never call it "The Spruce Goose" again.

Antonio

I did not rate "The Aviator" that highly. The crash scenes are all bogus
CGI and have little in common with reality. As for DiCaprio's portrayal
of Hughes, I thought that he was just another pretty face going through
the motions.

His piloting scenes reminded me of a 5-year-old playing "airplane." His
acting there was most unconvincing. IMHO, the only thing missing there
was making "BRRRR" sounds.

Sorry but 5 academy awards along with countless millions disagree with
your assessment

AFA DiCaprio's performance....you gotta be kiddng! I think he showed the
makings of a great actor here!

I think you might be reacting on a gut level to his teenage hearthrob,
sitcom days. Perhaps you missed "Catch Me If You Can"--the boy has
developed some great stage presence in my opinion.

Antonio
Old June 1st 05, 01:52 AM
Dave Stadt

"Antoņio" wrote in message
Orval Fairbairn wrote:
In article ,
dancingstarcreations
wrote:

Dave Burton wrote:

[...]

Fact is he and the crash scenes were the worst part of the movie. He
certainly won NO academy awards.

Old June 1st 05, 04:43 AM
Matt Barrow

"Antoņio" wrote in message

His piloting scenes reminded me of a 5-year-old playing "airplane." His
acting there was most unconvincing. IMHO, the only thing missing there
was making "BRRRR" sounds.

Sorry but 5 academy awards along with countless millions disagree with
your assessment

Are those the people that do your thinking for you?

Old June 1st 05, 05:58 AM
Montblack

("Dave Stadt" wrote)
Fact is he and the crash scenes were the worst part of the movie. He
certainly won NO academy awards.

It took me two minutes to switch from DiCaprio to Hughes - tops. I thought
he did an outstanding job in that role. However, I never did warm up to that
Kate Hepburn portrayal by Cate Blanchett. The romantic chemistry between
Hughes and Hepburn was also a dud - I blame Blanchett :-)

Kate Beckinsale as Ava Gardner was a home run!

Crash scenes were ok. Not bad, not great. Lots of action, top notch filming,
interesting editing - not a great result, as if Scorsese threw a 105 mph
fastball and just missed the outside corner - ball.

Film deserved #1 (or #2) on Oscar night.

You might have issues with Leonardo DiCaprio like I have issues with Meryl
Streep. Most say she's a superb actress - look how great she is, she never
stops acting even when she has no lines. I think she's ..."twitchy."

BTW, I was alright with Million Dollar Baby winning the Oscar. It would have
been a better movie if the same hand that directed the first 3/4 of the
movie, had a hand in the final 1/4 of the movie (a.k.a. the ending). It's a
minimalist movie, done to near perfection - yet, near the end, everyone
feels the need to start giving speeches ...huh?

Montblack

Old June 1st 05, 07:33 AM
Antoņio

Dave Stadt wrote:

Fact is he and the crash scenes were the worst part of the movie. He
certainly won NO academy awards.

No academy awards for him personally but he did win best actor at the
Golden Globe awards for Aviator. Perhaps the entire foreign press
hasn't the insight you have. Perhaps you feel the best picture Academy
Award has nothing to do with him being in almost every scene in the
entire movie.

Your "insights" are certainly not shared by the majority of the
industry.

Antonio

Old June 1st 05, 07:37 AM
Antoņio

Matt Barrow wrote:

Are those the people that do your thinking for you?

No...they are the millions that agree with me. Who agrees with you?

Antonio
Old June 1st 05, 08:02 AM
Antoņio

Matt Barrow wrote:

Are those the people that do your thinking for you?

No, those are the people that agree with me. Who agrees with you?

Antonio

Old June 1st 05, 08:07 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Orval Fairbairn said:
I did not rate "The Aviator" that highly. The crash scenes are all bogus
CGI and have little in common with reality. As for DiCaprio's portrayal
of Hughes, I thought that he was just another pretty face going through
the motions.

I disagree. I just watched the movie tonight, and I think he did a pretty
good job of capturing the forcefulness, impulsiveness and rising madness
of Hughes personality. But then, I think people have been underestimating
his acting talents since "Gilbert Grape" which was a boring movie which he
put in a masterful performance.

His piloting scenes reminded me of a 5-year-old playing "airplane." His
acting there was most unconvincing. IMHO, the only thing missing there
was making "BRRRR" sounds.

That I've got to agree with. When he was making low passes in the H-1, he
kept shoving the stick forward and to the left to the full range of motion
of the stick in a hamfisted manner while the outside view showed an
aircraft being controlled with gentleness and subtle control.

The scene where he was coaching Katherine Hepburn in the Sikorski flying
boat were better done.

And both of the crashes looked like ****. When is Hollywood going to
learn that airplanes don't turn 90 degrees to the ground as soon as the
engine stops?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Home pages are the pet rock of the 90s. They all have them, they all think
Old June 1st 05, 11:35 AM
Dylan Smith

In article . com, Antoņio wrote:
Your "insights" are certainly not shared by the majority of the
industry.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

On the other hand, I don't really pay much attention to the
self-congratulatory (and extremely dull) awards like the Oscars or this
other academy awards thing. If I find a movie enjoyable, I couldn't give
a stuff how many awards it has won - it could have won none at all for
all I care so long as it tells a good story and is enjoyable to watch.

I've not seen the movie in question yet, but maybe the original poster
finds it really awful. Just because a bunch of actors pat another actor
on the back, it doesn't necessarily mean everyone will find the
performance enjoyable.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old June 1st 05, 12:25 PM
Dan Luke

"Montblack" wrote:
he did an outstanding job in that role.

Yep. I was pleasantly surprised. In the flying scenes he over-acted,
but I blame the director /tech. advisors for that.

However, I never did warm up to that Kate Hepburn portrayal by Cate
Blanchett.

Oh, man, I thought she was superb! What a challenge; I thought she
completely pulled it off.

The romantic chemistry between Hughes and Hepburn was also a dud - I
blame Blanchett :-)

I blame the fact that romantic chemistry was a thing Hughes probably had
serious difficulty with in real life. He was an extreme neurotic, which
the film was careful to portray. It did not quite make sense for him to
be a smooth loverboy.

Kate Beckinsale as Ava Gardner was a home run!

Yep.

Crash scenes were ok. Not bad, not great. Lots of action, top notch
filming, interesting editing - not a great result, as if Scorsese
threw a 105 mph fastball and just missed the outside corner - ball.

Yeah, good and bad. I loved the scene of Hughes before the Senate
committee.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Trying to Fly AliR Piloting 33 May 9th 05 12:00 AM
How safe is it, really? June Piloting 227 December 10th 04 05:01 AM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Home Built 3 May 14th 04 11:55 AM
General Aviation Legal Defense Fund Dr. Guenther Eichhorn Aerobatics 0 May 11th 04 10:43 PM