?? Air Museums in England ??

Old March 22nd 05, 04:19 AM
vincent p. norris

Default ?? Air Museums in England ??

Going to England soon. I know there are aviation museums at Hendon
and Duxford. Any others I shouldn't miss?

TIA vince norris
Old March 22nd 05, 05:18 AM
Brian Whatcott

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 22:19:03 -0500, vincent p. norris
wrote:

Going to England soon. I know there are aviation museums at Hendon
and Duxford. Any others I shouldn't miss?

TIA vince norris

Old Warden, where they fly 'em
Imperial War Museum London, where they hang 'em up.

Brian Whatcott Altus, OK
Old March 24th 05, 02:39 AM
Jim Kaufeld

wrote:

Going to England soon. I know there are aviation museums at Hendon
and Duxford. Any others I shouldn't miss?

TIA vince norris

Old Warden, where they fly 'em
Imperial War Museum London, where they hang 'em up.

Brian Whatcott Altus, OK

There aren't a lot of airplanes at the Imperial War Museum (IWM), London. Just
a few in the main gallery and then some "pieces" scattered around. There is a
P51, a Spitfire, a V2, a bullet from the Nazi WWII railroad gun, a Spitfire, a
BE2, A Sopwith Camel, a HE 162 (German WWII Jet).... and a couple of others.

However that museum is one of my favorites. I've spent a lot of time there,
perhaps 2 days, scattered across a half-dozen visits and I've not finished
perusing the material. There are a lot of in-depth exhibits that, if you spend
the time, give a great feel for what life was like during various wars. You
see the home front, foot soldier, aviator, naval warfare, ships, planes, guns,
propganda, spies, ...... and there is a whole room on the winners of various
high honors -- including a young lady from BC, Canada who won a George's cross
for wrestling a cougar off her younger brother.

Now thats the IWM in London -- its south of downtown; take the Bakerloo to
Lambeth North ... its just a couple of blocks away and there are signs (its on
Lambeth Road). Actually its a bit more interesting to walk there ... say from
Westminster station to the Lambeth Bridge and then just continue down Lambeth
Raod.

The HMS Belfast -- near the Tower Bridge on the south side of the Thames is also
part of the IWM but no airplanes. The air museum at Duxford is also part of
the IWM. I've not been to Duxford (yet). There is another aircraft museum
that I haven't seen mentioned called the 'Fleet Air Museum' that is in
Youvilton. They've got a Concord and a lot of naval airplanes. On your way
to/from that one you can visit Stonehenge ... and perhaps stop off at the Great
Western Railroad Museum in Swindon.....

Jim Kaufeld

Jim Kaufeld

Old March 24th 05, 03:55 AM