Tom Cruise's P-51 Mustang

Old April 16th 06, 11:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration

Default Tom Cruise's P-51 Mustang

But the point is is that it is not a religion. It is closer to psychology.
You might as well say that a head doctor is a priest. Just read that
DIANETICS book. I got a third of a way through and threw it in the trash.

Old April 16th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration

miket6065 wrote:
But the point is is that it is not a religion. It is closer to psychology.
You might as well say that a head doctor is a priest. Just read that
DIANETICS book. I got a third of a way through and threw it in the trash.

Christianity is a "mystery" religion. The mystery being the death and
resurrection of Christ.

"Behold, I tell you a mystery. We will not all sleep, but we will all
be changed."

1 Corinthians 15:51

Islam is also a mystery religion in that Mohamed ascended into heaven,
the good followers can obtain Paradise, etc.

Religions like stoicism, or lots of others are really just ways to
live your life. I would guess Scientology is something like that. I am
not going to spare enough mouse clicks to even look it up.

Walt

Old April 16th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration

wrote in message
oups.com...
It's no more ridiculous than Christianity, Judaism, or Islam as far as
I'm concerned.
What makes one religion's lies, myths, and superstitions superior to
another's?

Most religions arose thousands of years ago, when the general ignorance the
human race can excuse the introduction of superstions and myths. Today, we
can read the writings from those ancient times and say to ourselves "I know
that story isn't true, but I see the issues people were grappling with back
then with their limited knowledge, resources, and understanding".
Scientology doesn't have that excuse. Scientology arose in the 20th century
when people, at least in the societies where it arose, were generally pretty
smart and educated. People today should be smart enough to know, for
example, that the scientologist's "e-meter" - which they use to measure
negative energy, or auras, or the presence of alien spirits or whatever, and
is probably a light meter - is a big load of doodoo. Today, if you're
gullible enough to let someone measure your negative energy with an
"e-meter", and you believe it worked, you've got some serious problems.
But, just to give SOME credit to scientology: from what I've read (not
much), their founder created the religion because he was horrified by some
of the abuses he knew about in the field of psychiatry. There were
apparently many early psychiatrists who viewed their patients as little more
than lab rats, and conducted inhuman experiments upon them. So, I think the
cult's founder was motivated by trying to help people by providing an
alternative to what he viewed (not without reason, either) as an evil branch
of medicine - psychiatry.
Never-the-less, somewhere along the line scientology veered off into whacko
land, with talk of alien spirits and such.

Why did I just spend 10 minutes thinking about this and responding to it on
RAM where it's completely off-topic? I guess just because I find the subject
very interesting, and there it was. Oh well - I'm going back to drinking my
beer and watching movies.

Old April 16th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration

Tony Whitaker wrote:
Oh well - I'm going back to drinking my
beer and watching movies.

I like documentaries like "History of The World Part One" and
"Blazing Saddles."

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old April 16th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration

In article ,
"miket6065" wrote:

But the point is is that it is not a religion. It is closer to psychology.
You might as well say that a head doctor is a priest. Just read that
DIANETICS book. I got a third of a way through and threw it in the trash.

I'd say you're significantly more persistent than most.
Old April 16th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration

Or a woman, in Sawyer's case.

Old April 16th 06, 07:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration

"Dan" wrote in message
I like documentaries like "History of The World Part One" and "Blazing
Saddles."

Excellent!!! Those movies go well with beer, too.

Old April 16th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration

The Frozen Canuck wrote:

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message

I saw his interview with Diane Sawyer last night. They showed video of
him flying his sweet P-51. It's a really nice one. It has "Kiss Me
Kate" painted on the nose. He had Diane Sawyer in the back seat. He
also had two other warbirds escorting and filming him. One of them was
a british warbird, I think a Sea Fury, and the other might have been
another p-51. I definitely like his taste in planes better than John
Travolta's.

To bad they let insane people fly planes. I guess if you got enough
money............

What do you mean? Scientology? It's beyond me how anyone can belive in
that.

Nope, I meant actors. It's not about story telling anymore. It's about
folks running around spending most of their day trying to pretend they
are someone else, where people throw them into a position of being a
role model based on their work, where in their personal lives they can't
keep it together! Jumping from one marriage into another, living above
the law because of their celebrity or money. Of course, it doesn't help
that the public supports and condones this kind of behavior. A majority
of these folks are completely unstable in their "normal" lives and just
don't know how to deal with the world! Let's put "Mav" in a P-51!
Old April 16th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.restoration

"Steve Hix" wrote in message

Fifteen TF-51D's were built during WW2, IIRC by North American.

Converted during the war from P-51D-25-NT and designated TP-51D,
redesignated TF-51D in 1948.