Well, I flunked my medical, now what ?

Old November 5th 05, 08:57 AM
Judah

Default Well, I flunked my medical, now what ?

"Brien K. Meehan" wrote in
ups.com:

The creepy part is, I was just about to make the EXACT SAME response.

Great minds think alike...
Old November 28th 05, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Scott Moore wrote:
Great, I flunked my medical.

Actually, this came close to happening 4 years ago. I tested bad on
blood sugar (I don't know if that means too high or too low). Last time,
I passed it after taking a new blood test after fasting. This time,
the (12 hour) fast didn't help. Last time, I got advised to loose 20lbs
to clear it up, I did, it did, and I have maintained that weight since,
although clearly it didn't help.

So now, official notice is headed for Oklahoma, and now I get to have
extra hassle passing my medical forever. I'm losing another 20lbs, which
I suspect will fix the "issue" again.

How do I get my license back quickly (as possible) ? I have an airplane
that is now a brick. Tell you what, I don't really give a damm if I have
type 2 diabetes. I'm old, something is bound to get me sooner or later.
I care about not being able to fly, that is a definite drop in life
quality.

Anyone been through this ?

An interesting afternote to this. I did what the AOPA recommended, that
is, I sent an A1C to the FAA immediately to chase the negative medical.

The A1C is fine, as am I. It will probally take months (I am told) to
get the paperwork straightened out, though.

The interesting afternote is that, because my airplane is now idle, my
wife has decided to learn to fly. She took her first lesson today, and
likes it a lot.

One door closes, the another opens.

--
Samiam is Scott A. Moore

Personal web site: http:/www.moorecad.com/scott
My electronics engineering consulting site: http://www.moorecad.com
ISO 7185 Standard Pascal web site: http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal
Classic Basic Games web site: http://www.moorecad.com/classicbasic
The IP Pascal web site, a high performance, highly portable ISO 7185 Pascal
compiler system: http://www.moorecad.com/ippas

Good does not always win. But good is more patient.
Old November 29th 05, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Scott,

The gentleman who sold his plane to us lost his medical for a short
time years ago for several serious medical issues (two heart surgeries
and diabetic condition). He managed to get it back and continued to
fly until he decided to stop at the age of 78.

When I first learn to fly, it took me 8 months to get the medical
certificate due to an unexplainable fainting spell which lasted for few
months few years back. The FAA rejected my initial application and the
appeal which included complete medical record & reexamination by my
neurologist and his verification statement that I was in perfect health
condition for flying. Being persistent, I kept calling Oklahoma's
office asking to talk to an FAA doctor. After half a dozen tries, one
returned my phone call and was extremely helpful. He suggested me to
obtain a new MRI. When the result came back clean, I got my medical
within few weeks. BTW, I did contact AOPA's office after the initial
rejection and the only advise I got was to send the complete medical
record.

So most likely that you will be allowed to fly again. Just knock
on as many doors as you could to speed up the process.

I'm glad to hear that your wife had decided to learn how to fly.
It's great to have a two-pilot family. This has allowed us to
undertake many long cross-country fllights both VFR and IFR in our
plane which is not equipped with an autopilot.

Best wishes to both of you.

Hai Longworth