Soaring already DOA for the season???

Old March 30th 20, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Soaring already DOA for the season???

This thread really is illuminating.
Thanks, maybe.

Aldo Cernezzi
(from Northern Italy)
Old March 30th 20, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hello from Shanghai. I’m a pilot for one of the US cargo carriers here for work. I thought I would share my experience since there seems to be quite a disconnect between where we are in the US versus the thinking here..

Before we left the airplane for the hotel we were required to put on masks and had our temperature taken. Every person we encountered, leaving the airplane, immigration, health, customs, had full contagion suits on with eye protection. We rode in a car that had been fully swabbed down between rides. Arriving at the hotel we entered through a special door for foreigners and followed a roped off lane to a designated elevator. Everyone at the hotel had full suits on. They took us to the 34th floor were we stood isolated as they took our passports and credit cards to the lobby to get us keys. For the last 40 hours we’ve been shut in our hotel room with only room service. When they deliver the food they are wearing the suits and take our temperature.

In other words they are worried about us infecting them and they are serious about this virus. Overkill - maybe but they’ve got a handle on this. I’m concerned that the problem in the US will be made worse by our failure to take decisive action.

My club, Harris Hill, is shut down. That’s a bummer because just last week I was happily sanding new gelcoat on my fuselage to Bob Marley tunes all alone midweek in a huge hangar. But I guess I’d hate to infect one of the oldsters in the club since they are some of my favorite souls on earth.

There has been no decision made to cancel or postpone the WGC this year. There also seems to be no word from the SSA about the nationals. Anyone know anything?

Sean Murphy

Old March 30th 20, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 6:24:41 AM UTC-7, John Godfrey (QT) wrote:
On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 8:42:56 PM UTC-4, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
Airsailing in NV has closed down, and now Willliams in CA is closed. will contests be cancelled next? Does SSA have a position on this? Are there things we can do to mitigate exposure so we can fly? Inquiring pilots want to know...

I remain amazed at the number of people who don't get that the real issue is the silent transmission by infected but unaware people. Talking about the "risk to me" or "areas that are not hotspots" completely misses the essence of the problem we are dealing with.

The media is largely responsible, because reporters generally have very little science or math education. They are scientific idiots, and write the sort of articles expected.
Old March 30th 20, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 8:32:23 AM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Duster wrote on 3/28/2020 7:19 PM:
A more tempered, but plausible, opinion from the WSJ that’s worth a read:

Is the Coronavirus as Deadly as They Say?
Current estimates about the Covid-19 fatality rate may be too high by orders of magnitude. A universal quarantine may not be worth the costs it imposes on the economy, community and individual mental and physical health. We should undertake immediate steps to evaluate the empirical basis of the current lockdowns.

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/is-...ay-11585088464

I live in Washington State. In my area, with four nearby towns totaling about
250,000, we've had 5 covid-19 deaths in just one month. Compare that to four flu
deaths in 5 months (flu season), and while flu infections have been decreasing,
Covid infections are increasing.

Here's the deal for me:
- we don't know if this will have a seasonal decline like the flu does
- we know it is much more infectious with higher mortality
- we don't have a vaccine
- we don't have a treatment
- at 77, I am a member of the high risk group

I totally support our current efforts to restrict social contact, and other
precautions.

If you look at actuarial tables, you'll probably find your risk of dying this year is about the same as the 'high risk' covid group.
Old March 30th 20, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 6:49:35 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

The SSA certainly doesn't know anything. That's just an organization that collects dues and uses the money to print a rubbish magazine.
Old March 30th 20, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

wrote on 3/29/2020 5:16 PM:
On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 7:00:27 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
wrote on 3/29/2020 1:22 PM:
On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 4:06:55 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Maybe it would be better to quarantine the high risk population and let everyone else party on. Covidoomers say we are all going to get it anyway, so let the strong get it without stopping the world. And the infirm can come out when all is clear. Or everyone else is dead and they have the planet to themselves.

Sarcasm? You know the majority of soaring pilots is in the high-risk group, right?

Should we shut down soaring for everybody because old people are grounded?

Old people? I've been talking about the 65 and over; who are you talking about?

Should we shut down the soaring season for everyone because pilots in a certain age range(75 is the new 40, except during cold and flu season) feel it too risky to come to the airport?

I don't know what "shut down the soaring season" means, but practically speaking,
if the 65+ group feels threatened by infected younger people, soaring
opportunities might be very reduced. That age group does a lot of towing,
instructing, supporting the towplane by taking tows, and generally making sure
things run smoothly.

Old March 30th 20, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

wrote on 3/29/2020 7:31 PM:
[...]

My point is getting infected increases my risk of dying, as the actuarial tables
don't account for Covid-19.

Old March 30th 20, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

Roy B. wrote on 3/29/2020 8:21 AM:
Eric:
Many of the news sources (like wsj) give prospective subscribers 3 or 4 free inline articles before they must subscribe or be blocked out. You might be over your limit of free articles. It is intentionally designed to be frustrating - so that you are forced to subscribe.
ROY

NYT, Washington Post, and many others, typically allow a few free articles per
month. The few times in the last 5 or 6 years I've tried to view a WSJ article, I
hit the paywall. How did Chrome, which I've never used for the WSJ, not let me
read a free article? Even my wife's computer, which has never been to the WSJ,
can't get a free article. It's a puzzle.