Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

Old July 3rd 20, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

On Thursday, July 2, 2020 at 2:13:09 PM UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Spoken like a true narcissist. This is a discussion group on soaring. If you want to discus guns please go to the appropriate newsgroup and not junk up our group with crap. That is just common curiosity, that almost all on this group would afford to you.

Just in case the title of this thread was unclear, the point is the intersection of both areas (guns and soaring) as it pertains to flying a sailplane.. It is relevant. Landing out in "bear country" is a reality for some of us, and how to be prepared for that is certainly appropriate discussion on this board.

My main concern would be how to carry my piece in a way that was comfortable and didn't interfere with my ability to unbuckle my seat belt or pull my rip chord. And for what its worth, Id be carrying a G20 with Underwood or Buffalo Bore ammo.
Old July 3rd 20, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Let me give you two cautionaire tales. We used to have a great rec.aviation..helicopter newsgroup. The chief Sikorsky test pilot Nick Lappos was a member. In short order just two posters ran everyone away from the newsroup by posting crap that had nothing to do with helicopters,. Fifteen years later, this newsgroup is still not viable. As for guns in gliders for protection, not one committed or had a question when I posted that I was probably the only member that had an emergency landing in the back country and had an encounter with a wild animal capable of eating me. That leads me to believe this is not a serious question. Full disclosure, I did grow up in Idaho, gun country, and I used to shoot competitively. I also, early in life was a paid mountain guide. My professional opinion for the lower 48 that a gun anywhere in your glider is more of a danger than any animal you might encounter. When I had an E landing in the back country at sunset my biggest problem was only having flashlights that could produce, red, green or blue light. I did get stalked by a mountain lion for over 100 yards, he/she parallel my path 15 yards away. But being an avid outdoorsman, it had my attention but not too worried. I have encountered bears and mountain lions many times without ever picking a fight. This is not meant as any disrespect to anyone, but I believe if you are seriously considering carry a gun in a glider, that is more about self fears and doubts, not about a real danger. Best regards to all and happy 4th.
Old July 3rd 20, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Sorry, rec.aviation.rotorcraft, not helicopter.
Old July 3rd 20, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 12:25:27 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
[...]

Jonathan, you are a legend in your own mind. Just this week I was at a local ranch of a friend it is about 9K acres and has a beautiful landing strip that runs along a canal. The owner and I took a quick ride down the strip and he pointed out a large dead animal in the canal. I immediately was puzzled and asked what the heck is that? His reply was very short and to the point, he said that is my two thousand pound bull that Charlie killed. Charlie happened to be the largest alligator that I have ever seen, must have been over 17 feet long and about 1k or more in weight. As we approached the dead and rotting animal the owner informed me to stay in the truck, these lizards can can run faster than a horse for 50 yards and will attack and drag their prey into the canal waiting for it to rot and later eat for a wonderful snack.
I have landed on that strip a couple of times and I can assure you that I will be packing to protect myself from such encounters. Now you may not have that kind of animal in California, but please protect yourself from all those crazies out there. Bob
Old July 4th 20, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

As a female who used to occasionally fly xc to Really remote places, with landouts possible in distances that could take crew up to 2 days to arrive, I was never worried about the Fauna. I had tracking before it was ADS-B or SPOT.
I had Great Crew.
I was prepared.
For the two-legged animals.

And Bob, I'm happy I outweigh our reptiles in this time zone...I can avoid and outrun them.

Cindy
Old July 4th 20, 12:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 3:15:04 PM UTC-7, Bob Youngblood wrote:
[...]

Funny thing, when you start your post insulting me, that is kind of the end of a two-way conversation, and why on earth would I have to point out the obvious?
Old July 4th 20, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Bralla

[...]

Bob,
when started this it was
"today my son brought me a great gift to fight off the flaming liberals at the gliderport. It is a Bulgarian AK47 with 2000 rounds of ammunition." I guess you can skip the lizard protection BS.
Steve
No gun for me but a fire extinguisher in case I land out in a brush fire and a inflatable raft in case I land in the water.
Old July 4th 20, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Don't forget your sheep mask and a condom.
Old July 4th 20, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Bralla

On Friday, July 3, 2020 at 7:25:49 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Don't forget your sheep mask and a condom.

No need for a condom, I'll use my catheter.
Old July 4th 20, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

No need for a condom, I'll use my catheter.

It might leak. Oh, wait. That's what it's supposed to do, and it's what a mask does anyway.