A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Scam I think!!!

Old June 1st 20, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Geoff Minors
external usenet poster

Default Scam I think!!!

I have my Ogar Motor Glider for sale on W & W. Always interesting the responses I get. This I am pretty sure is a scam! Just like to share so others don't fall into these traps. Have a read and a giggle from Mr.Melvin!

Hello,

Thanks for the mail..However,I want you to know that the price is okay by me and as for picking it up that will not be a problem..I will contact an agent that will handle the pick up...So that will not be a problem....As for the payment i will be paying with Cashier's Check which will be cashed easily...I want you to know that i will be adding shipping money for the Cashier's Check you are going to receive..in which you will deduct your $29,000,and send the remaining balance to the agent that will be coming for the pick up at your place.To send it out i will need your full name and address where the Cashier's Check will be sent to and your phone number...Listed bellow:

1. The full name on the Cashier's Check
2. Mailing Address to send the Cashier's Check
3. Contact phone number.

So that the Cashier's Check can be written out in your name and mail to your address..
PS:I will want you to kindly put SOLD on the advert from the placing site..okay, or any interested buyer that mail you,just let them know that it has been sold,so for doing that i will be willing to compensate you with $100.Hope this is clear to you..

Get back to me asap.

Mr. Melvin.
Old June 1st 20, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence
external usenet poster

Default Scam I think!!!

Geoff,

Yes, classic scam!! Standard over payment, send me the difference.

BTW, Geoff, are you now ready to sell it?

I'm still interested. I'll email you.

Mike B.
Old June 1st 20, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Geoff Minors
external usenet poster

Default Scam I think!!!

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 8:33:57 AM UTC-7, SoaringXCellence wrote:
Geoff,

Yes, classic scam!! Standard over payment, send me the difference.

BTW, Geoff, are you now ready to sell it?

I'm still interested. I'll email you.

Mike B.

Hi Mike
Yes I am ready to sell anytime.
Its just the border restrictions holding it up.
drop me a email or give me a call

Geoff
Old June 1st 20, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Joel Flamenbaum[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Scam I think!!!

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 7:30:17 AM UTC-7, Geoff Minors wrote:
I have my Ogar Motor Glider for sale on W & W. Always interesting the responses I get. This I am pretty sure is a scam! Just like to share so others don't fall into these traps. Have a read and a giggle from Mr.Melvin!

Hello,

Thanks for the mail..However,I want you to know that the price is okay by me and as for picking it up that will not be a problem..I will contact an agent that will handle the pick up...So that will not be a problem....As for the payment i will be paying with Cashier's Check which will be cashed easily...I want you to know that i will be adding shipping money for the Cashier's Check you are going to receive..in which you will deduct your $29,000,and send the remaining balance to the agent that will be coming for the pick up at your place.To send it out i will need your full name and address where the Cashier's Check will be sent to and your phone number...Listed bellow:

3. Contact phone number.

So that the Cashier's Check can be written out in your name and mail to your address..
PS:I will want you to kindly put SOLD on the advert from the placing site...okay, or any interested buyer that mail you,just let them know that it has been sold,so for doing that i will be willing to compensate you with $100.Hope this is clear to you..

Get back to me asap.

Mr. Melvin.

I an Mr Melvins cousin and will pay $1,000 more than his offer
Old June 1st 20, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Scam I think!!!

Write him back, get him to send you a cashiers check, then tell him it was not counter signed and get him to send another, then again and again and again till he gives up. The time and postage he spends may just stop him for screwing someone else

CH
Old June 1st 20, 10:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Geoff Minors
external usenet poster

Default Scam I think!!!

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 2:13:08 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Write him back, get him to send you a cashiers check, then tell him it was not counter signed and get him to send another, then again and again and again till he gives up. The time and postage he spends may just stop him for screwing someone else

CH

Hey thats a good idea
Old June 3rd 20, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

Default Scam I think!!!

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 7:30:17 AM UTC-7, Geoff Minors wrote:

Hello,

3. Contact phone number.

PS:I will want you to kindly put SOLD on the advert from the placing site...okay, or any interested buyer that mail you,just let them know that it has been sold,so for doing that i will be willing to compensate you with $100.Hope this is clear to you..

Get back to me asap.

Mr. Melvin.

LOL! Mr. Melvin has been very active, here is what he sent me regarding a Cobra hangar dolly:

Thanks for the mail..However,I want you to know that the price is okay by me and as for picking it up that will not be a problem..I will contact an agent that will handle the pick up...So that will not be a problem....As for the payment i will be paying with Cashier's Check which will be cashed easily...I want you to know that i will be adding shipping money for the Cashier's Check you are going to receive..in which you will deduct your $990,and send the remaining balance to the agent that will be coming for the pick up at your place.To send it out i will need your full name and address where the Cashier's Check will be sent to and your phone number...Listed bellow:

3. Contact phone number.

PS:I will want you to kindly put SOLD on the advert from the placing site..okay, or any interested buyer that mail you,just let them know that it has been sold,so for doing that i will be willing to compensate you with $100.Hope this is clear to you..

Get back to me asap.

Mr. Melvin.

This is virtually identical to what he sent you, save for changing the item in question. I replied that the ONLY payment I will accept is a wire transfer and would need his address and phone number. I never got a reply.

I have actually received cashier checks that looked like the real deal, but when I checked with who the supposedly came from they were clearly fraudulent. These scammers will NEVER agree to you contacting them by phone - law enforcement can track their location.

Tom
Old June 3rd 20, 02:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.
external usenet poster

Default Scam I think!!!

What is sad is that there are those who fall for this crap.

Lots of scams aimed at the elderly too.
Old June 3rd 20, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Scam I think!!!

No wonder they are targeting the Soaring community!
Old June 3rd 20, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley
external usenet poster

Default Scam I think!!!

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 7:02:15 PM UTC-6, Mike N. wrote:
What is sad is that there are those who fall for this crap.

Many governmental programs for seniors were farmed out to foreign bidders and some of those records obviously fell into the hands of scammers. In our computer groups we repeatedly remind seniors never to engage cold callers with any personal or financial information. If you need something, call the appropriate agency. It's also prudent not to call the first Google search result. Type ssa.org into a Google search and the first AD result is likely social security, but that search might be shaped by the user. Happens on Duck Duck Go on another browser also.

Frank Whiteley