Garmin 530 WAAS upgrade - what's involved?

Old November 23rd 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul Tomblin

Default Garmin 530 WAAS upgrade - what's involved?

We recently put a 530 in one of our planes. Garmin says the upgrade to
WAAS is only going to be $1500. Sure, that's what they charge for the
guts, but what is this likely to run to once the shop starts adding their
labour costs, etc. Is another field approval needed, or what sort of
paper work?

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
Sign on door of computing lecturer: "If your project is 90% right,
Old November 23rd 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Adams[_2_]

(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

We recently put a 530 in one of our planes. Garmin says the upgrade to
WAAS is only going to be $1500. Sure, that's what they charge for the
guts, but what is this likely to run to once the shop starts adding their
labour costs, etc. Is another field approval needed, or what sort of
paper work?

Paul,

I saw a discussion about this on another forum. Other issues are that the antenna may need to be
replaced, as well as possibly the antenna cable to RG-400. The upgrade is covered by an STC with an
approved model list, so good chance no field approval will be required, but a 337 will be required for the
STC installation.

Mike
Old November 23rd 06, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
John R. Copeland

"Mike Adams" wrote in message ...
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

We recently put a 530 in one of our planes. Garmin says the upgrade to
WAAS is only going to be $1500. Sure, that's what they charge for the
guts, but what is this likely to run to once the shop starts adding their
labour costs, etc. Is another field approval needed, or what sort of
paper work?

Paul,

I saw a discussion about this on another forum. Other issues are that the antenna may need to be
replaced, as well as possibly the antenna cable to RG-400. The upgrade is covered by an STC with an
approved model list, so good chance no field approval will be required, but a 337 will be required for the
STC installation.

Mike

Antenna replaced? If it's broken, maybe.
Nothing in the upgrade itself would require that.
And if the cable works OK before the upgrade, it'll work OK afterward.

Old November 23rd 06, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
karl gruber[_1_]

"John R. Copeland" wrote in message
. ..

Antenna replaced? If it's broken, maybe.
Nothing in the upgrade itself would require that.
And if the cable works OK before the upgrade, it'll work OK afterward.

.................................................. .................................................. ............................

The antenna WILL need to be replaced.

Karl
ATP CFI
"Curator" N185KG

Old November 23rd 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Frank Ch. Eigler

The antenna WILL need to be replaced.

That is consistent with my readings of the ComAnt antenna web site.
The WAAS GPS seem to require 26dB antennas, whereas plain ones make do
with 17dB ones.

- FChE
Old November 24th 06, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Natalie

John R. Copeland wrote:
Antenna replaced? If it's broken, maybe.
Nothing in the upgrade itself would require that.
And if the cable works OK before the upgrade, it'll work OK afterward.

While the WAAS satellites use the same (L1) frequencies as the
others..rumor has it that the existing antennas Garmin sold with
the 530/430 have a hard time seeing low enough on the horizon to
meet the C146a specs.
Old November 24th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ron Lee

Ron Natalie wrote:

John R. Copeland wrote:
Antenna replaced? If it's broken, maybe.
Nothing in the upgrade itself would require that.
And if the cable works OK before the upgrade, it'll work OK afterward.

While the WAAS satellites use the same (L1) frequencies as the
others..rumor has it that the existing antennas Garmin sold with
the 530/430 have a hard time seeing low enough on the horizon to
meet the C146a specs.

I find that hard to believe. Do you know the elevation angle
requirement? I will check how low it picks up soon.

Ron Lee
Old November 24th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Stan Prevost

"Frank Ch. Eigler" wrote in message

The antenna WILL need to be replaced.

That is consistent with my readings of the ComAnt antenna web site.
The WAAS GPS seem to require 26dB antennas, whereas plain ones make do
with 17dB ones.

- FChE

Horizon-to-horizon coverage, with 17dB gain???? And increasing their gain
will just narrow the coverage. Unless the gain figure includes some
low-noise active gain in the antenna package, ahead of the cable losses.

But I have also heard from two different shops that the antennas will have
to be replaced. Haven't heard why.

Old November 24th 06, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Judah

"Stan Prevost" wrote in news:12mcgail9ohknd8
@corp.supernews.com:

But I have also heard from two different shops that the antennas will have
to be replaced. Haven't heard why.

I believe it has something to do with sheep's wool and Old Navy.
Old November 25th 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
[email protected][_1_]

Stan Prevost wrote:
"Frank Ch. Eigler" wrote in message

The antenna WILL need to be replaced.

That is consistent with my readings of the ComAnt antenna web site.
The WAAS GPS seem to require 26dB antennas, whereas plain ones make do
with 17dB ones.

- FChE

Horizon-to-horizon coverage, with 17dB gain???? And increasing their gain
will just narrow the coverage. Unless the gain figure includes some
low-noise active gain in the antenna package, ahead of the cable losses.

*** All of these antennas have amplifiers built in. They are powered
by DC on
the coax.

- Jerry Kaidor