Electric Aviation cuts community and cabin noise by 75 percent and emissions by 80 percent

Old November 25th 18, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Electric Aviation cuts community and cabin noise by 75 percent and emissions by 80 percent

https://www.triplepundit.com/2018/11...ion-emissions/

Electric Aviation May Slash Emissions by Early 2020s

by Amy Brown on Wednesday, Nov 21st, 2018

electric aviation, emissions The winds seem to be shifting in favor of
electric aviation as a viable solution to airplane carbon pollution,
with major airlines and newer players touting electric flights as more
than a pie-in-the-sky dream. Some proponents claim that take off is
just around the corner, by the early 2020s.

Aviation is one of the fastest-growing sources of greenhouse gas
emissions https://ec.europa.eu/clima/policies/...rt/aviation_en ,
with direct emissions accounting for about 3 percent of the European
Union’s total greenhouse gas emissions and more than 2 percent of
global emissions. If commercial aviation were considered a country, it
would rank seventh after Germany in terms of carbon emissions.
Aircraft emissions are expected to grow by 50% by 2050
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...aft-emissions/
as demand for air travel increases.

Electric flights could put a substantial bite into growing emissions
and help the world meet global climate goals. The electric aviation
industry believes the technology is ready to meet the challenge.
Earlier this month Air New Zealand announced
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12157487
it was working with European planemaker ATR on hybrid electric
aircraft. Other major airlines like JetBlue
https://www.jetblueventures.com/portfolio/zunum-aero/ and UK budget
carrier EasyJet
https://www.reuters.com/article/easy...-idUSL8N1X93FY
are backing electric aircraft start-ups.

Democratizing access to travel

US-based electric aviation company Zunum Aero https://zunum.aero/
expects to be among the first on the runway, with its first hybrid
electric regional aircraft in the air by the early 2020s, according to
Matt Knapp, Zunum Aero Chief Engineer. The benefits, he told
TriplePundit, are huge—for the industry, passengers and, importantly,
the environment. Electric propulsion cuts community and cabin noise by
75 percent and emissions by 80 percent, he says.

“Our vision is to democratize access to high-speed travel by serving
thousands of communities across the US that don’t currently have
access to high-speed travel,” Knapp told TriplePundit.

Fleets currently flying the short-haul flights under a thousand miles
comprise 40 percent of all commercial aviation emissions, Knapp
explains. These fleets are aging and due to be replaced – according to
an Embry-Riddle study
https://commons.erau.edu/cgi/viewcon...xt=publication
, 8,000 regional aircraft are due to be replaced by 2030.

This means, Knapp says, that “by the 2030s we can eliminate 40 percent
of all commercial aviation emissions.”

Air New Zealand eyes carbon neutral growth

Air New Zealand sees the same potential in their move towards hybrid
electric aircraft. Under the agreement, the partners will investigate
the development of these new solutions and the required systems to
support them such as airport and regulatory infrastructure,
maintenance, ground and flight operations.

“Our regional fleet accounts for approximately 40 percent of our
domestic emissions so there’s an enormous opportunity for carbon
savings. It could be a significant contributor to us reaching our twin
goals of carbon neutral growth from 2020 and reducing emissions to 50
percent of 2005 levels by 2050,” stated Air New Zealand chief
executive Christopher Luxon.
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/pres...ybrid-aircraft

Luxon said hybrid aircraft are expected to enter the market in the
“next decade or so.”

The electric aviation space is getting crowded. The list of players
keeps growing: Airbus E-Fan X
https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/pres...uture-par.html
is being developed with Rolls-Royce and Siemens as a hybrid-electric
airline demonstrator. Eviation Alice https://www.eviation.co/alice/ is
an Israel aircraft being developed by Eviation Aircraft. Wright
Electric https://weflywright.com/ is a startup with a goal of creating
a commercial airliner that runs on batteries and for distances of less
than 300 miles and is backed by EasyJet.
https://www.triplepundit.com/2017/10...ible-10-years/

Zunum ready to push ahead

But some experts see Zunum as ahead of the pack, according to the Robb
Report
https://robbreport.com/motors/aviati...afran-2821269/
.. Zunum has the backing of Boeing, JetBlue Technology Ventures and the
Department of Commerce Clean Energy Fund. Charter provider JetSuite
https://robbreport.com/motors/aviati...lanes-2795271/
has already signed up to buy up to 100 of their aircraft.

Zunum Aero last month selected France’s Safran Helicopter Engines
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...ctric-airliner
to build engine turbines for its aircraft. The Safran Ardiden 3Z 500
kW turbo-generator is a “significant component of our ability to
deliver 80 percent reduction in operating costs and emissions,” Knapp
says.

Debate over battery technology

Some observers are skeptical that today’s electric battery technology
is anywhere near ready for electric flight. In Wired, Eric Adams
reports https://www.wired.com/2017/05/electric-airplanes-2/ that the
age of electric aviation is still 30 years away. “For all the hype
electric aviation gets, the concepts put forth by aerospace companies
and startups are just this side of impossible…The problem is,
batteries simply do not offer the power-to-weight ratio or cost needed
to be feasible, and will not for some time,” Adams wrote.

Knapp would strongly disagree.

“We’ve actually designed our planes to be viable using battery
technology that is available today by carefully sizing the generation
and battery masses for minimum total operating cost at target range,”
he told TriplePundit. “The infrastructure we require is pretty
straightforward – we need space at airports to store and change
batteries, and then a little room to charge them.”

He explains that Zunum’s aircraft is designed to be agnostic to the
source that powers its propulsion. “So it can be configured easily to
rely on battery plus gas turbine, which is the most common
configuration initially, and switch over easily to battery only. It’s
also agnostic to battery chemistry type – so we can take advantage of
whatever the best technology happens to be. Either way, our propulsion
is fully electric.”

Whether it’s within a few years or a few decades, the momentum for
electric flight seems unstoppable. And pressure is on the aviation
industry to come up with solutions to meet the Carbon Offsetting and
Reduction Scheme for International Aviation (CORSIA) scheme
https://aviationbenefits.org/environ...ris-agreement/
to push for a goal of carbon-neutral growth and complement the aims of
the Paris Agreement.
https://unfccc.int/process/the-paris...aris-agreement

To get there, Knapp says, “electric aviation is really the primary
solution.”

Amy Brown

Based in southwest Florida, Amy has written about sustainability and
the Triple Bottom Line for over 20 years, specializing in
sustainability reporting, policy papers and research reports for
multinational clients in pharmaceuticals, consumer goods, ICT, tourism
and other sectors. She also writes for Ethical Corporation and is a
contributor to Creating a Culture of Integrity: Business Ethics for
the 21st Century. Connect with

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/pres...uture-par.html

Commercial Aircraft
Airbus, Rolls-Royce, and Siemens team up for electric future
Partnership launches E-Fan X hybrid-electric flight demonstrator
Download All

Airbus, Rolls-Royce, and Siemens have formed a partnership which aims
at developing a near-term flight demonstrator which will be a
significant step forward in hybrid-electric propulsion for commercial
aircraft.

The three companies together announced the groundbreaking
collaboration, bringing together some of the world’s foremost experts
in electrical and propulsion technologies, at the Royal Aeronautical
Society in London.

The E-Fan X hybrid-electric technology demonstrator is anticipated to
fly in 2020 following a comprehensive ground test campaign,
provisionally on a BAe 146 flying testbed, with one of the aircraft’s
four gas turbine engines replaced by a two megawatt electric motor.
Provisions will be made to replace a second gas turbine with an
electric motor once system maturity has been proven.

“The E-Fan X is an important next step in our goal of making electric
flight a reality in the foreseeable future. The lessons we learned
from a long history of electric flight demonstrators, starting with
the Cri-Cri, including the e-Genius, E-Star, and culminating most
recently with the E-Fan 1.2, as well as the fruits of the E-Aircraft
Systems House collaboration with Siemens, will pave the way to a
hybrid single-aisle commercial aircraft that is safe, efficient, and
cost-effective,” said Paul Eremenko, Airbus’ Chief Technology Officer.
“We see hybrid-electric propulsion as a compelling technology for the
future of aviation.”

The E-Fan X demonstrator will explore the challenges of high-power
propulsion systems, such as thermal effects, electric thrust
management, altitude and dynamic effects on electric systems and
electromagnetic compatibility issues. The objective is to push and
mature the technology, performance, safety and reliability enabling
quick progress on the hybrid electric technology. The programme also
aims at establishing the requirements for future certification of
electrically powered aircraft while training a new generation of
designers and engineers to bring hybrid-electric commercial aircraft
one step closer to reality.

As part of the E-Fan X programme, Airbus, Rolls-Royce, and Siemens
will each contribute with their extensive experience and know-how in
their respective fields of expertise:

- Airbus will be responsible for overall integration as well as
the control architecture of the hybrid-electric propulsion system and
batteries, and its integration with flight controls.

- Rolls-Royce will be responsible for the turbo-shaft engine,
two megawatt generator, and power electronics. Along with Airbus,
Rolls-Royce will also work on the fan adaptation to the existing
nacelle and the Siemens electric motor.

- Siemens will deliver the two megawatt electric motors and
their power electronic control unit, as well as the inverter, DC/DC
converter, and power distribution system. This comes on top of the
E-Aircraft Systems House collaboration between Airbus and Siemens,
launched in 2016, which aims at development and maturation of various
electric propulsion system components and their terrestrial
demonstraion across various power classes.

Paul Stein, Rolls-Royce, Chief Technology Officer, said: “The E-Fan X
enables us to build on our wealth of electrical expertise to
revolutionise flight and welcome in the third generation of aviation.
This is an exciting time for us as this technological advancement will
result in Rolls-Royce creating the world’s most powerful flying
generator.

“Siemens has been driving innovation in core technology fields at full
speed,” said Roland Busch, Chief Technology Officer of Siemens. “In
April 2016 we opened a new chapter in electric-mobility with the
collaboration with Airbus. Building up electric propulsion for
aircraft, we are creating new perspectives for our company and also
for our customers and society. With the E-Fan X partnership, we now
take the next step to demonstrate the technology in the air.”

Among the top challenges for today’s aviation sector is to move
towards a means of transport with improved environmental performance,
that is more efficient and less reliant on fossil fuels. The partners
are committed to meeting the EU technical environmental goals of the
European Commission’s Flightpath 2050 Vision for Aviation (reduction
of CO2 by 75%, reduction of NOx by 90% and noise reduction by 65%).
These cannot be achieved with the technologies existing today.
Therefore, Airbus, Rolls-Royce and Siemens are investing in and
focusing research work in different technology areas including
electrification. Electric and hybrid-electric propulsion are seen
today as among the most promising technologies for addressing these
challenges.

https://www.airbus.com/innovation/Th...-electric.html

Innovation
The future is electric
Olivier Maillard - FIA 2018 - Day 01

t the 2018 Farnborough Airshow, the UK government announces financial
support for the pioneering Airbus E-Fan X hybrid-electric flight
demonstrator.

The E-Fan X is the next step in Airbus’ electrification journey. This
ambitious project, in partnership with Siemens and Rolls-Royce, aims
to develop a flight demonstrator testing a 2MW hybrid-electric
propulsion system.
Airbus E-Fan X

The E-Fan X is the next step in Airbus’ electrification journey

It’s a vision now shared by the UK government. At the opening of the
2018 Farnborough Airshow, Business and Energy Secretary Greg Clark
announced that the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial
Strategy (BEIS) will invest £255 million to develop greener flight
technologies, a share of which will go to E-Fan X. “We are working
with industry to lead the world as we embark on this journey into the
new age of air travel,” he said.

Airbus believes electric and hybrid-electric propulsion will help the
aviation industry meet the goals set out in the Flightpath 2050 Vision
for Aviation, which aims to significantly reduce CO2 emissions and
noise levels.

We are delighted that BEIS is investing in our E-Fan X demonstrator
programme, which will enable us to further explore and mature these
technologies while leveraging the technical expertise in aircraft
modifications in the UK alongside those of our other European
partners.

- Airbus Chief Technology Officer Grazia Vittadini

A huge leap forward

Starting in 2010 with the CriCri – the world’s first fully electric
aircraft – Airbus has also produced the all-electric E-Fan 1.0 and
hybrid E-Fan 1.2, which combined a 60 kW motor with a combustion
engine. While these represented major achievements, the steps between
each project were incremental. The E-Fan X will be a comparatively
huge step forward.

“Our aim is to replace one of four gas turbines on a flying testbed
with a 2 MW electric motor,” says E-Fan X project lead Olivier
Maillard. “That’s over 60 times more power than the previous E-Fan.
Nothing like that has ever flown before.”

Key to this major jump is the rapid pace of development in battery and
fuel cell technology. “Now is the right time to focus on larger
aircraft and bring hybrid-electric aircraft closer to reality,”
Maillard explains. “Quite simply, the industry cannot achieve its
sustainability goals with the technologies existing today."
EFANX Viewpoint 2 HD BSJ 20180201

Airbus, Rolls-Royce and Siemens will each focus on developing certain
parts for the E-Fan X, with Airbus responsible for the overall
integration of the electric motor into the test aircraft, a British
Aerospace RJ100. “Safety was our top priority, so it had to be a
four-engine aircraft,” Maillard says. “Unlike the Airbus aircraft, the
E-motor on an RJ100 can produce a significant thrust, comparable with
the rest of the motors, that would enable level flight with half of
the thrust provided by the electric power unit. Airbus will involve
BAE Systems Regional Aircraft in the design of the modification to
leverage their unequalled aircraft knowledge and to work together with
the other partners to approve the modification and release the
aircraft for flight under their Design Organisation Approval.”

With the E-Fan X, Airbus will investigate the challenges of such a
high-power propulsion system, such as thermal effects, electric thrust
management, altitude and dynamic effects on electric systems, and
electromagnetic compatibility issues. It will also work with
authorities to establish certification requirements for electrically
powered aircraft.

Flight testing in 2020

Parts manufacturing for the E-Fan X will begin in 2019, followed by
ground testing.

By the end of 2020, we aim to start flight testing and one year after
that, we hope the E-Fan X can make its first public flights.

- E-Fan X project lead Olivier Maillard

In addition to the environmental benefits, hybrid or fully electric
propulsion also has the potential to open up new possibilities for
aircraft design. Future vertical take-off and landing aircraft,
including for Urban Air Mobility applications, will benefit due to the
higher reliability and lower maintenance costs. “This is
groundbreaking technology,” says Maillard. “It will change the way
people travel.”

Visitors to the 2018 Farnborough Airshow can see a smart model of the
E-Fan X at the Airbus pavilion. HoloLens glasses give a special
insight into how the innovative propulsion system will work.

Related stories
Innovation 17 July 2018
The future is electric
Commercial Aircraft 28 November 2017
Airbus, Rolls-Royce, and Siemens team up for electric future ...
en fr de es
Innovation 18 June 2017
Future of electric flight
Company 24 May 2016
Airbus Group To Present Innovative Technologies at ILA 2016
en de
Company 09 July 2015
Airbus Group's all-electric E-Fan aircraft completes historic Channel
en
Company 06 July 2015
E-Fan Prepares For Historic Channel Crossing

https://zunum.aero/

Bringing you electric air travel out to a thousand miles

On your schedule
2-4 times faster
door-to-door

Breakthrough
economics
Fares below commercial

Fly to
every community
10,000+ airports

Tread lightly
80% lower noise and emissions
Fast, affordable and everywhere

What if you could get to places much faster than you can today? What
if flying cost a lot less than it does today? If thousands of
communities were connected by air service? What if aircraft were
quieter, with far lower emissions?

We’re making it so.

Join our mailing list to follow our progress.
We’re changing the way people travel

Get there much faster — and on your schedule

Imagine leaving your doorstep in San Jose at 7 AM and making it to a
9:30 AM meeting in Pasadena. With Zunum Aero, simply drive to a nearby
airfield and walk to your aircraft with bags in tow, for a trip that
will take half the time and at a much lower fare. Or skip the meeting
altogether, and be on the slopes in Tahoe by 8:40 AM for $100
round-trip, and back home the same evening.

Fly to thousands of communities

We are a land of towns and communities, many with airports, but few
with regular air service. Our stock of 13,500 airports is the largest
in the world, yet just 140 of the largest hubs carry over 97% of air
traffic. This has left many of us with long drives to catch a flight,
while on shorter trips we skip air travel altogether. Communities
without good air service also struggle to attract investment and
create jobs.

Electric aircraft of varying sizes are ideally suited to this critical
need, requiring little support other than a GPS flightpath and a quick
recharge or swap facility on the tarmac. Be it Moses Lake, Beaumont,
Santa Fe or Butte: prepare for the convenience of frequent electric
air service.

Tread lightly

Did you know that short-haul flights produce over 40% of aviation
emissions? With our aircraft, we believe these will be largely
eliminated within twenty years. Our aircraft are “hybrid-to-electrics”
that sip fuel only when they have to, will use even less over time as
batteries upgrade, and will one day go completely without — so that
flying will be kind to the Earth.

Who We Are
We are dreamers, engineers and pilots primarily based in the Seattle
and Chicago areas, and with partners across the country. We are over 3
years into our journey toward democratizing access to high speed
travel. We are passionate about high-speed connectivity to every
community and neighborhood, so you can live where you like, get
anywhere fast, and leave behind a healthy planet.
Our Team
Board

Ashish Kumar, Ph.D.
CEO, Zunum Aero

Matt Knapp
Aero Chief Engineer, Zunum Aero

Logan Jones
Managing Director, Boeing HorizonX

Warren Christie
SVP, Safety, Security and Training, JetBlue Airways
Advisory Board

Leo Casey, Ph.D., Power engineering
Pete Kunz, Ph.D., Development strategy
Oliver Masefield, Ph.D., Aircraft development
Ron-Ho Ni, Ph.D., Propulsor development
Bonny Simi, Venture and strategy
Ranbir Singh, Ph.D., Power electronics
Birger Steen, Corporate development
Venkat Viswanathan, Ph.D., Propulsion batteries