USA: East coast port for import from Europe?

Old September 14th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Default USA: East coast port for import from Europe?

Is there one in Philadelphia, and if not, what's the closest option?

-tuno

Old September 14th 07, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RN

Do not know about Philadelphia.

I have picked up a glider in Baltimore. Other friends and I have had
good experiences there if you do not find a location closer.

RN

Old September 14th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

On Sep 14, 1:35 pm, RN wrote:
Do not know about Philadelphia.

I have picked up a glider in Baltimore. Other friends and I have had
good experiences there if you do not find a location closer.

RN

We brought our ship in through Wilmington using Barthco as the agent.
Easy and not too expensive.

Chip F.

Old September 14th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On Sep 14, 1:57 pm, chipsoars wrote:
On Sep 14, 1:35 pm, RN wrote:

Do not know about Philadelphia.

I have picked up a glider in Baltimore. Other friends and I have had
good experiences there if you do not find a location closer.

RN

We brought our ship in through Wilmington using Barthco as the agent.
Easy and not too expensive.

Chip F.

Used Barthco coming into Elizabeth, NJ. Easy.

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)

Old September 14th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Hanke

I know that Bartco would not take on any new sailplane imports due to
problems they had with previous sailplane Owners. They will only
customs clear sailplanes for past clients.

FYI... stay away from PRIDE International..

I know that the guy at

AIRSCHOTT INC.
2609 CABOVER DR SUITE 9&10
P.O. BOX 28673
HANOVER, MD 21076 (410) 863-4777

was or is a glider pilot...

Old September 14th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Well, if Barthco no longer deals with glider guiders, I trust my
Spitzer dealer will set me up with the right agent.

2NO

Old September 14th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Sep 14, 11:23 am, Tuno wrote:
Is there one in Philadelphia, and if not, what's the closest option?

-tuno

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/products...utes/index.jsp

Click on EUROPENORTH AMERICA link to see the routes/ports.
Excellent ro-ro service for trailered gliders.

Frank Whiteley

Old September 14th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/products...NASAroutes/ind...

Click on EUROPENORTH AMERICA link to see the routes/ports.
Excellent ro-ro service for trailered gliders.

Frank Whiteley

I used Wallenius as well, and the schedules were great.
But you still need a broker or logistics firm at either end.

Old September 14th 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jim Vincent

Make SURE you pick up the glider during business hours so you can have them
unload the glider trailer from the cargo trailer. Otherwise, you might turn
up at 8pm in Baltimore to find the trailer is up on the cargo trailer with
no way to remove the glider trailer.

"Frank Whiteley" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old September 15th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ken Kochanski (KK)

On Sep 14, 1:23 pm, Tuno wrote:
Is there one in Philadelphia, and if not, what's the closest option?

-tuno

I live in Delaware and have picked up Gliders at both Baltimore and
Delaware ports.

Baltimore is a little further away, but they have processed a lot of
gliders over the years and the agent I used had a clerk that was very
familiar with the process. The process went very quickly and was
inexpensive.

The Delaware port was only 15 minutes from my house, but the process
took longer and the fees seemed much higher.

Others experience may differ .... If I had a choice, I personally
would use Baltimore ...

KiloKilo