banner towing

Old July 6th 06, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Default banner towing

Anyone done it? Is it as bad as it looks? Spent the past few days at
the beach watching airplanes and it looks like a really good way to bend
up an airline and maybe break some bones.
Old July 6th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brad[_1_]

Emily wrote:
Anyone done it? Is it as bad as it looks? Spent the past few days at
the beach watching airplanes and it looks like a really good way to bend
up an airline and maybe break some bones.

The airlines must really be hurting if they're now taking on banner
towing in addition to paying passengers.

Old July 6th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john hawkins

It was great fun. I used to find where the parties were and then join them
after my flights. Seeng all the sharks between the bathers and the shore was
alway interesting too. The only touchy parts for me were 1) the banner
pickup- you don't want to be too slow or you could stall on the zoom or
worse (from the bosses viewpoint) drag the banner. Too fast and you could
not hook the banner. 2)- with an offshore breeze, it could get bumpy.

Old July 6th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross Richardson[_1_]

The first time I saw a tow plane pick up a banner, I was amazed. Came
swooping down with that big treble "fish hook" to snag the banner line.
He missed the first couple of times, but finally got it. We was really
smart is that the banner is picked up over itself. When picked up, it is
opposite to the way it is layed on the ground. I guess this was for a
smoother and not jerky pickup.

Old July 6th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:

the nude beach
replaced the boredom with frustration - too high to see what
they were sure they should be able to see.

Speaking from first hand knowledge, are you? :-))
Old July 6th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Brad wrote:
Emily wrote:
Anyone done it? Is it as bad as it looks? Spent the past few days at
the beach watching airplanes and it looks like a really good way to bend
up an airline and maybe break some bones.

The airlines must really be hurting if they're now taking on banner
towing in addition to paying passengers.

Sigh....I'm coming off vacation! Cut me some slack!
Old July 6th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
Emily wrote:

Anyone done it? Is it as bad as it looks? Spent the past few days at
the beach watching airplanes and it looks like a really good way to bend
up an airplane and maybe break some bones.

What about it makes it look to you like a way to bend/break
things? Slow? Low?

Little of both. I prefer my flying to be a little higher and a lot
faster. Not to mention, I saw one actually pick up a banner, and, well,
I was nervous for him.
Old July 6th 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_1_]

"T o d d P a t t i s t" wrote

Banner towing from on high? Who me? Not at all! I flew a
hang glider instead and launched from the nude beach. My
problem was paying attention to the rigging of the HG.

I suppose that a launch from such a location would guarantee getting it up.
smirk
--
Jim in NC

Old July 6th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_1_]

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
john smith wrote:

In article ,
T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:

the nude beach
replaced the boredom with frustration - too high to see what
they were sure they should be able to see.

Speaking from first hand knowledge, are you? :-))

Banner towing from on high? Who me? Not at all! I flew a
hang glider instead and launched from the nude beach. My
problem was paying attention to the rigging of the HG.

--
Do not spin this aircraft. If the aircraft does enter a spin it will return to earth without further attention on the part of the aeronaut.

(first handbook issued with the Curtis-Wright flyer)

Been to Torrey Pines, have we? *S*

John

Old July 8th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

"Emily" wrote in message Little of both. I prefer my flying to be a
little higher and a lot
faster. Not to mention, I saw one actually pick up a banner, and, well,
I was nervous for him.

The risk of banner towing is minimized with proper training. After the first
couple of weeks, it's just slow and boring. One gets bored and starts to
think of one's next conquest in the aviation game. Then complacency sets in.
That's the dangerous part.

D.

banner towing cmg2005 Piloting 3 June 13th 05 05:10 PM
Banner Towing Scott Schluer Piloting 19 May 4th 05 10:25 PM
Tow banner on a PP license Victor Piloting 19 March 31st 04 04:56 AM
Banner Towing Information ? ForFun177 Owning 3 December 31st 03 05:18 AM
Trailer towing safety CH Soaring 9 August 13th 03 05:45 PM