Can I relax now?

Old July 2nd 06, 06:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Wizard of Draws[_1_]

Default Can I relax now?

Today's flight put me over 300 hours total time without bending anything.
Someone here once wrote that that was a statistical milestone with regards
to accidents. Is that true?
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Old July 2nd 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Wizard of Draws" wrote:

Today's flight put me over 300 hours total time without bending anything.
Someone here once wrote that that was a statistical milestone with regards
to accidents. Is that true?

I dunno.

I passed 1,000 hours last year, also reckoned to be some kind of safety
milestone. Now, I find my problem is relaxing TOO much. Complacency is
dangerous--maybe more dangerous than inexperience.

Stay sharp, Jeff.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 2nd 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Can I relax now? --- Candidate For Quote Of The Month

On Sun, 2 Jul 2006 13:06:44 -0500, "Dan Luke"
wrote in
::

Complacency is dangerous--maybe more dangerous than inexperience.

Old July 2nd 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary Drescher

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in
message news:C0CD8176.7FC43%jeffbREMOVETHIS@REMOVEALSOwiza rdofdraws.com...
Today's flight put me over 300 hours total time without bending anything.
Someone here once wrote that that was a statistical milestone with regards
to accidents. Is that true?

No, not as far as anyone has shown. The legend seems to originate with Paul
Craig's book The Killing Zone, which says that most fatalities strike pilots
between 50 and 350 flight hours. The problem, though, is that the book makes
no attempt to normalize by the number of flight hours per year flown by
pilots with various levels of experience. So for all the book really shows,
pilots in the "killing zone" may be less safe, more safe, or just as safe
(in terms of fatality rate per flight hour) than pilots at other levels of
experience. (Several of the book's reader reviews at amazon.com point out
this elementary statistical error.)

Congratulations on your milestone though!

--Gary

Old July 2nd 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_1_]

"Wizard of Draws" wrote

Will do. Before this thread goes too far astray, I would like say that my
question about relaxing is tongue in cheek. It's always too hazy to relax
much around here in the Southeast and as a consequence, I always file IFR.
I'm extremely paranoid and I depend on the guys at the scopes to help out.

Just don't relax too much.

You can never tell when the controller gets distracted and does not notice
someone aiming at you, or when someone will be out there flying VFR with a
stealth bug-smasher 2000, and no transponder! g
--
Jim in NC

Old July 2nd 06, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Wizard of Draws" wrote:

It's always too hazy to relax
much around here in the Southeast and as a consequence, I always file IFR.
I'm extremely paranoid and I depend on the guys at the scopes to help out.

Ditto.

One of the best things about using the instrument rating? Better radar
service.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old July 2nd 06, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Can I relax now?

The moment you "relax", you are a target.

It's always too hazy to relax
much around here in the Southeast and as a consequence, I always file IFR.
I'm extremely paranoid and I depend on the guys at the scopes to help out.

Not a good idea. "Depending on others", that is. The help is nice, but
never depend on them to separate you from VFR traffic, or traffic that
probably shouldn't be VFR but it.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 2nd 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan[_1_]

Wizard of Draws wrote:
Today's flight put me over 300 hours total time without bending anything.
Someone here once wrote that that was a statistical milestone with regards
to accidents. Is that true?
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.wizardofdraws.com

More Cartoons with a Touch of Magic
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

I do not have any statistical data to back this claim, but my
observation has been that there is no correlation between accident
rates and PIC hours. New pilots compensate for their lack of experience
with a greater personal minimums, while pilots with more experience
tend to cancel out their advantage with a lower personal mininums. In
the end I think they all come out even.

However, you can benefit from your experience if you do not lessen your
personal minimum as you gain experience. But I have rarely seen this
happen. Afterall, the sign of experience is the ability to do things
that others unable to.

Old July 2nd 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

However, you can benefit from your experience if you do not lessen your
personal minimum as you gain experience.

Only temporarily. Then you stop gaining experience as you gain hours.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.