Garmin 480

Old November 19th 04, 12:47 AM
Hankal

Default Garmin 480

I am getting a Garmin 480 installed.
In the disclaimer it states all GPS are for VFR approval only.
Will be IFR when 337 is approved.
Any comments?
Hank 172 driver

Old November 19th 04, 08:05 PM
Andrew Gideon

Hankal wrote:

I am getting a Garmin 480 installed.
In the disclaimer it states all GPS are for VFR approval only.
Will be IFR when 337 is approved.
Any comments?

I remember that there was some paperwork before a GNS-430 we installed into
a 172 became legal for IFR, but I don't recall it being a 337. I think
some sort of test was involved.

From what I understand, this requirement is typical.

- Andrew

Old November 19th 04, 08:06 PM
Hankal

What's there to comment? It has to be in an IFR-approved installation
to be used for IFR.

It is an IFR installation.
Is a 337 required?
I am not an Avionics mechanic, so don't beat up on me.
Old November 19th 04, 08:23 PM
Dave Butler

Hankal wrote:
What's there to comment? It has to be in an IFR-approved installation
to be used for IFR.

It is an IFR installation.
Is a 337 required?

I think so.

I am not an Avionics mechanic, so don't beat up on me.

I'm not either, but I did have an IFR GPS installed once a few years ago. There
was a Supplemental POH that needed to be filed with my airplane's POH. That
supplement has to be approved by OK City. I think the 337 is the mechanism for
getting the approval. The SPOH spells out the limitations on using the GPS for
IFR, so it can't be used IFR until that supplement is in effect. It will say
things like the requirement for having a current database in order to use it for
instrument approaches, for example.

Old November 19th 04, 09:31 PM
John R. Copeland

Congratulations, Hank. I think you made a good choice.
Years ago, when I installed an IFR Loran, there was some delay
in getting the installation and the POH supplement approved.
There was no such delay for my CNX80.
The 337 plus a simple flight test to prove conformance did the trick.

I can't recommend actually taking your new GNS480 into IMC
until you've become pretty familiar with it, though.
Spend some time with the Windows simulator to get comfortable
using the menu structure. You'll need to learn where everything lives.
---JRC---

Old November 20th 04, 12:27 AM
Hankal

I can't recommend actually taking your new GNS480 into IMC
until you've become pretty familiar with it, though.
Spend some time with the Windows simulator to get comfortable
using the menu structure. You'll need to learn where everything lives.

I have started to read on how to use the 480. It is a very long learning curve,
but nothing that I cannot handle. Give me a few months and I will have it down
pat.
I never would get myself into a situation that requires IRF approaches with the
480 until I have it mastered. Still have my VOR and ILS.
Hank
Old November 20th 04, 01:02 AM
John R. Copeland

"Hankal" wrote in message =
I can't recommend actually taking your new GNS480 into IMC
until you've become pretty familiar with it, though.
Spend some time with the Windows simulator to get comfortable
using the menu structure. You'll need to learn where everything =

lives.
=20
I have started to read on how to use the 480. It is a very long =

learning curve,
but nothing that I cannot handle. Give me a few months and I will have =

it down
pat.
I never would get myself into a situation that requires IRF approaches =

with the
480 until I have it mastered. Still have my VOR and ILS.
Hank

Attaboy!
Yes, the learning curve is long, but it's a fun one.
---JRC---

Old November 20th 04, 04:55 AM

Keep in mind that about 10% of the function will satisfy about 90% of
your navigational requirements.

Old November 20th 04, 07:15 AM
Michael 182

"Hankal" wrote in message
I can't recommend actually taking your new GNS480 into IMC
until you've become pretty familiar with it, though.
Spend some time with the Windows simulator to get comfortable
using the menu structure. You'll need to learn where everything lives.

I have started to read on how to use the 480. It is a very long learning
curve,
but nothing that I cannot handle. Give me a few months and I will have it
down
pat.
I never would get myself into a situation that requires IRF approaches
with the
480 until I have it mastered. Still have my VOR and ILS.
Hank

The big thing that I find most people do not understand is how to fly the
missed using the GPS. It is not intuitive, but once you understand how to do
it makes flying the missed very simple.