Radio protocol regarding full stops on full stop only nights

Old February 2nd 05, 06:53 PM
Gene Seibel

I suspect that since you made a request, the tower assumed that you may
not have been aware that tocuh & gos were not an option, and wanted to
be sure it was clear.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Aeroplanes - http://pad39a.com/gene/planes.html

Old February 2nd 05, 07:09 PM
Sam O'Nella

kage wrote:
I would add to what the other responders have said that *in general*
it is a bad idea IMO to try to impute emotion or motivation based on
an ATC transmission. Don't worry about the controller's feelings.
Just interpret the instruction literally, request clarification if
necessary, and exercise your pilot authority accordingly.

And remember, they are just government employees. Their level of
competence and flexibility never did recover from the strike.

Oh brother.

Old February 4th 05, 12:50 AM
Frederick Wilson

Sam O'Nella wrote:
... The controller may have had a brain fart ...

I keep hearing this term "brain fart." Is this a product of butt
heads?

Good question. It is a truly stupid phrase which has unfortunately seemed
to have really caught on lately.

I'm not too sure about lately. I recall it being used in basic training
in 1989.
Old February 4th 05, 02:43 AM
Sam O'Nella

... The controller may have had a brain fart ...

I keep hearing this term "brain fart." Is this a product of butt
heads?

Good question. It is a truly stupid phrase which has unfortunately
seemed to have really caught on lately.

I'm not too sure about lately. I recall it being used in basic
training in 1989.

Wow - I never would have suspected a nonsensical phrase originated in the
military!

Old February 8th 05, 04:29 AM
Andrew Sarangan

Full stop landings are the norm. Touch & goes are exceptions and require
permission. It is like requesting a non-LAHSO landing. You probably
confused the tower controller with the request.

"Ben Hallert" wrote in
oups.com:

Hi guys,

I was doing closed traffic at an unnamed airport with a 'No touch &
goes at night' rule. On downwind, I made the following call (because I
am aware of the rule) "XXX ground, Cherokee 1234 Sierra on downwind,
request full stop."

The tower responds back "Touch and goes are prohibited at night!
Cherokee 1234 Sierra, cleared for full stop ONLY!"

I had my instructor with me, and he said my call was fine. Was the
tower being jerky? Or was there a better call I could have made? I
knew about the rule, that's why I explicitly asked for full stop, but
the tower acted like I had just soiled myself in public.

I'm not too worried, just curious to hear what other people have
done/would do in the same situation. Also, if there's a technically
better call I can make, I'm all ears.

Old February 8th 05, 05:49 AM
Jay Beckman

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
1...
Full stop landings are the norm. Touch & goes are exceptions and require
permission. It is like requesting a non-LAHSO landing. You probably
confused the tower controller with the request.

The tower at my home airport (Class D) almost always asks my intentions if I
don't declare something specific on initial contact.

In fact, I can't remember an instance when they haven't asked.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old February 8th 05, 06:09 PM
Gary Drescher

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
What is the reasoning behind full-stop landings for night currency?
If one performs stop-and-goes (presumably adequate to meet the FAR
requirement), there is no more night taxi experience gained than with
touch-and-goes. Is it a safety issue?

I've always assumed so (though I have no direct evidence). I imagine that
the FAA doesn't want to encourage pilots who lack recent night experience to
rush through a night-time touch-and-go, so they refuse to count
touch-and-goes toward the night-currency requirement. A stop and go does
give you more of a chance to verify that the flaps are retracted and that
the plane is otherwise configured for takeoff, and that you have enough
remaining runway length (although the full stop does use up some extra
length).

--Gary

Old February 8th 05, 08:38 PM
Bob Moore

"Larry Dighera" wrote
What is the reasoning behind full-stop landings for night currency?

It's to keep the smart-asses from doing three bounces down
the runway in one pass and calling them takeoffs and landings,
and never leaving the confines of the runway enviroment.
One day, I did 15 "takeoffs and landings" in one pass down
a 6,000' runway in my MiniMax with not a single turn. :-)

Bob Moore

Old February 8th 05, 08:48 PM
Gary Drescher

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...

"Larry Dighera" wrote
What is the reasoning behind full-stop landings for night currency?

It's to keep the smart-asses from doing three bounces down
the runway in one pass and calling them takeoffs and landings,
and never leaving the confines of the runway enviroment.

Then why are full stops required to meet the night-currency requirement, but
not the day-currency requirement?

--Gary

Old February 8th 05, 08:52 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...

"Larry Dighera" wrote
What is the reasoning behind full-stop landings for night currency?

It's to keep the smart-asses from doing three bounces down
the runway in one pass and calling them takeoffs and landings,
and never leaving the confines of the runway enviroment.
One day, I did 15 "takeoffs and landings" in one pass down
a 6,000' runway in my MiniMax with not a single turn. :-)

Why is that okay for day currency?