Tenet Crew Bought a Real Boeing 747 to Blow Up Because Its More Efficient Than VFX

Old May 27th 20, 12:30 AM posted to alt.gossip.celebrities,alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Miloch

Default Tenet Crew Bought a Real Boeing 747 to Blow Up Because Its More Efficient Than VFX

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/05/ch...nt-1202233687/

Christopher Nolan is well known for opting for practical effects over CGI, but
hes taking that preference to new extremes in his upcoming espionage epic
Tenet. A key sequence in the film features a Boeing 747 airplane crashing into
a building and exploding. Naturally, Nolan purchased a real Boeing 747 to blow
up instead of relying on visual effects to pull off the stunt.

I planned to do it using miniatures and set-piece builds and a combination of
visual effects and all the rest, Nolan said to Total Film magazine. However,
while scouting for locations in Victorville, California, the team discovered a
massive array of old planes. We started to run the numbersIt became apparent
that it would actually be more efficient to buy a real plane of the real size,
and perform this sequence for real in camera, rather than build miniatures or go
the CG route.

Its a strange thing to talk about a kind of impulse buying, I suppose,
Nolan added. But we kind of did, and it worked very well, with Scott Fisher,
our special-effects supervisor, and Nathan Crowley, the production designer,
figuring out how to pull off this big sequence in camera. It was a very exciting
thing to be a part of.

Robert Pattinson told GQ magazine earlier this month that every set piece in
Tenet feels like the climax of an action movie, and that appears to be the
case with the Boeing 747 explosion sequence. The action set piece is teased at
the end of the official Tenet trailer. Pattinson told Total Film magazine the
practical Boeing 747 explosion was one of Nolans more insane ideas.

You wouldnt have thought there was any reality where you would be doing a
scene where they just have an actual 747 to blow up! Pattinson said. Its so
bold to the point of ridiculousness I remember, as we were shooting it, I was
thinking, How many more times is this even going to be happening in a film at
all?

Warner Bros. is set to release Tenet in theaters nationwide July 17. The
release date could change depending on whether or not enough theaters are
re-opened across the country.

*

Old May 27th 20, 11:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Byker

"Miloch" wrote in message ...

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/05/ch...nt-1202233687/

Christopher Nolan is well known for opting for practical effects over CGI,
but he’s taking that preference to new extremes in his upcoming espionage
epic “Tenet.” A key sequence in the film features a Boeing 747 airplane
crashing into a building and exploding. Naturally, Nolan purchased a real
Boeing 747 to blow up instead of relying on visual effects to pull off the
stunt.

I've seen flyable 747s going for as little as $1 million at
www.controller.com