sold 310 -- now what?

Old January 4th 05, 03:56 AM
Cary Mariash

Default sold 310 -- now what?

After nearly a year away from the newsgroups, I am returning to seek the
wisdom and advice from the NG. After 7 years and 670 hours later, I have
sold my 1958 Cessna 310B and am looking for another plane. Although I
loved flying the 310, I could no longer tolerate the absence of deice
equipment and the absence of an autopilot. It got to be too tiring
flying in IMC as a single pilot and without an autopilot. Also, I've had
too many icing encounters in the upper midwest for me to remain
comfortable flying my 310 in IMC. Lastly, I am tired of paying about
$15K per year in annuals.

I have a down-payment on the new Diamond TwinStar DA42, but it is not
yet certified in the US and when this will occur is anyone's guess. They
were supposed to start delivering these last Oct, but we are all still
waiting. I will also need at least 1 more partner to be able to afford
this new plane.

I am not wedded to the need for a twin. I am looking for something that
can give me 200 KTAS, can seat 4 to 6, has recent avionics, weather
detection (i.e., WX-500), autopilot and deice. My partner and I can
probably put together about $250K (max) for this plane. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Cary

Old January 4th 05, 04:42 AM
nobody

"Fly" wrote in message
TN-A36?

That DA42 is on my lust list too, 201kts @11.3 gph jetA and a glass panel to
boot!

The A36 '84 or later with the IO-550 instead of the IO-520. Bonanza is a
great machine as long as you're not looking for baggage capacity.

Ed

Old January 4th 05, 05:09 AM

A Cessna Turbo 210 or P210 would easily fit your desires if you are willing
to settle for cruise speeds a shade under 190 kts. A Piper Malibu will
cruise at around 200 kts, but you might have trouble finding a nice one for
$250K. All of these models were available with known icing protection, and
most P210s and Malibus are so equipped.

I believe that there is an STC for a TKS anti-ice system for the A-36
Bonanza, but it's not approved for known icing

--
-Elliott Drucker
Old January 4th 05, 06:53 AM
markjen

I am not wedded to the need for a twin. I am looking for something that
can give me 200 KTAS, can seat 4 to 6, has recent avionics, weather
detection (i.e., WX-500), autopilot and deice. My partner and I can
probably put together about $250K (max) for this plane. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

There is only one plane I know of that can meet these constraints: P210.

- Mark

Old January 4th 05, 12:31 PM
Denny

The DA-42 is an unknown quantity, and what is known should give you
pause... The diesel engine overheats above 11,000 feet!!!!
It is not yet certified to Part 23... We don't know how it will carry
ice, if at all - those slippery airframes and laminar flow wing
sections do not take kindly to having their shapes distorted... I
suggest we wait a while to see how the DA-42 fares in the real world..
Denny

Old January 4th 05, 03:15 PM
Robert M. Gary

markjen wrote:
I am not wedded to the need for a twin. I am looking for something

that
can give me 200 KTAS, can seat 4 to 6, has recent avionics, weather
detection (i.e., WX-500), autopilot and deice. My partner and I can
probably put together about $250K (max) for this plane. Any

suggestions
would be appreciated.

There is only one plane I know of that can meet these constraints:

P210.

A 210 will spend more time down than flying. Most A&Ps think of the 210
as their kid's college funds.

A later model Mooney (Ovation, etc) would be a good choice. The rear
seats on the later models are much larger than the mid (201) models,
and certified known ice is avialable (TKS).
A Bonanza would be a great choice. I know they offer a complete TKS
(world's best deicing system) but I'm not sure if they're certified
known-ice or not yet.

In general, I'd try to stick with TKS deicing system. Boots are always
troublesome because they can leak and only protect a very small amount
of the wing at the leading edge. The TKS system drips deicing fluid all
the way down the wing. There are several known-ice certified TKS
installations.
-Robert

Old January 4th 05, 03:27 PM
Juan Jimenez

Did you read the article about the DA-42 flying from Canada to Portugal on
$200 worth of Jet-A? The DA-42 is an awesome aircraft, I got a chance to get
a close look at it at OSH, and those Thielert engines are very cool
technology. The fuel and maintenance savings ought to make it worthwhile to
spring for it rather than a more conventional twin.

Old January 4th 05, 04:50 PM
Nathan Young

On 4 Jan 2005 07:15:18 -0800, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

In general, I'd try to stick with TKS deicing system. Boots are always
troublesome because they can leak and only protect a very small amount
of the wing at the leading edge. The TKS system drips deicing fluid all
the way down the wing. There are several known-ice certified TKS
installations.

Do any of the aftermarket TKS installs have K-Ice approval? Last time
I checked (a while ago) they did not, which is a shame, because every
pilot I have talked to that has flown with TKS says the ice buildup is
non-existent and way better than boots.

Old January 4th 05, 05:50 PM
Peter MacPherson

Their website shows that at least the Baron, 210 and Caravan can
be certified for known ice. There's probably others.

http://www.flightice.com/contact.html