Mother's Day Flight

Old May 10th 04, 05:46 AM
Flyin'8

Any tips for me?

Get used to it? ;-)

Haha, I am about used to it now, but it is helluv ugly. I always
pictured myself landing gracefully. My landings are anything but
graceful.

Seriously, landing is like having a problem with Windows XP -- you can do
the exact same thing ten times in a row, and get ten different results. It
makes trouble-shooting difficult, to say the least, but it does get better
over time. Eventually you get more consistent, and have more greasers.

A day or two of solo practice landings should help me then. I stopped
today before I killed myself trying. Every landing I was getting more
and more frustrated. I knew it was time to park it and go home.

Try to keep your eyes focused on the far end of the runway as you round out
your flare, and don't get discouraged. In 9 years, almost 900 hours, and
over 1400 landings, I can count the number of truly "perfect" landings on
one hand. All the rest have been "salvaged" -- although (so far) I've
always been able to use the plane again!

This may be my problem. I tend to focus just off the nose of the
plane, for fear of flaring to late and plowing the nose wheel into the
ground. Next time out, I will focus at the end of the runway and see
if it improves this landing mess I have gotten myself into.

:-)

Old May 10th 04, 01:39 PM
EDR

In article , Flyin'8
wrote:

Maybe... My CFI is a big dude. 6'4 and about 240+ Maybe that is the
difference. I need to boot him out and go practice.

There's the rub, as the saying goes.
you are flying too fast for your landing weight.

Recalculated the final approach airspeed.
1 - divide the actual landing weight by the gross weight
2 - take the square root of that number
3 - multiply by the max gross aft cg stall speed
4 - multiply by 1.3
this is you actual final approach speed
Old May 10th 04, 02:30 PM
Teacherjh

I do not know what I am doing
different when I am alone as opposed to with the CFI.

The weight distribution is different. Try putting a hundred pound sack of
potatos in the front seat. When you master your landings with that, tell your
fl ight instructor that he can be replaced by a sack of potatos.

Jose

Old May 10th 04, 06:38 PM
David Brooks

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Mary says it was her best Mother's Day ever! Anyone else go flying for
Mother's Day?

Of course. Since my wife and daughter were off for a spa treatment, I took
advantage of the "loose end" time to hitch a ride in a friend's Cub, doors
open and everything. Or maybe that's not what you meant.

My own mother's Mother's Day was weeks ago anyway.

-- David Brooks

Old May 10th 04, 09:59 PM
Stan Prevost

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message

Mary says it was her best Mother's Day ever! Anyone else go flying for
Mother's Day?

Yes, I took my daughter-in-law and her family up in the Saratoga for her
mother's day gift. Two grandchildren, 2 and 6. They had a ball. Only
problem is, she was airsick. It must be because she is pregnant, because
she has flown long XC trips with me before and was fine. The little unborn
guy wiggled a lot.

First time I have ever had 7 people in the Saratoga!

Stan