Flights that Cross Midnight

Old May 10th 04, 06:27 PM
David Brooks

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

Boston is always GMT-4 or -5, and there are only two
dates when the variable comes into play.

Of course planes depart London on local time, not Zulu.

The U.S. & Britain don't change summer/winter times necessarily on the
same date. (I think the gap is most noticable in autumn.)

(Or perhaps that's what you were saying? But as I recall, the autumn
gap is a couple of weeks.)

Nit - UK springs ahead a week before US. They fall back on the same date.

-- David Brooks

Old May 10th 04, 06:34 PM
David Brooks

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

Boston is always GMT-4 or -5, and there are only two
dates when the variable comes into play.

Of course planes depart London on local time, not Zulu.

The U.S. & Britain don't change summer/winter times necessarily on the
same date. (I think the gap is most noticable in autumn.)

Hmmm... If we are offering the OP the strategy of converting all local times
to UTC (which requires knowledge of local timezones and daylight savings
rules), there is still an ambiguity. On the day the clocks go back, the
local time of 0130 happens twice. Which occurrence do you use? Weighty
matters indeed.

-- David Brooks

Old May 10th 04, 07:59 PM
Peter Duniho

"David Brooks" wrote in message
[...] On the day the clocks go back, the
local time of 0130 happens twice.

It's worse than that. Every local time between 0130 and 0230 happens twice.

Old May 10th 04, 08:27 PM
David Brooks

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"David Brooks" wrote in message
[...] On the day the clocks go back, the
local time of 0130 happens twice.

It's worse than that. Every local time between 0130 and 0230 happens

twice.

I only used that by way of example, and was hoping nobody would pick the
nit. But it's actually 0100 to just-before-0200 that happens twice.

Reminds me of a Car Talk stumper. In brief: two friends were talking on the
phone, one in an East Coast state and one in a West Coast state. While
talking they discover it's the same time for both of them. How come? The
fact I bring it up in this thread is a big hint.

Oh, they're both pilots. That's utterly irrelevant, but brings this back
on-topic.

-- David Brooks

Old May 11th 04, 03:25 AM
Peter Duniho

"David Brooks" wrote in message
I only used that by way of example, and was hoping nobody would pick the
nit. But it's actually 0100 to just-before-0200 that happens twice.

I know...I was just checking to see if you knew.

As far as nit-picking goes...I thought that's the point in the thread that
we'd arrive at already.