Sport pilot flight rules limitations

Old January 4th 06, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Sport pilot flight rules limitations

I've read Part 61. Its more than a little confusing. I understand the
limitations of a sport pilot flying under a "driver's license" medical.
That part is pretty clear. I currently hold an "old" commercial
license with an instrument rating and have quite a few hours. I don't
hold a current medical, but would probably qualify after an appeal
(there might be a couple of "disqualifying" conditions for which I am
being successfully treated). My health is otherwise very good.

Am I playing the lottery by thinking that I can get a medical?

But lets assume that I don't care to go after a 3rd or 2nd class medical
and that I hold a commercial ticket (CASEMELI). I have a diver's
license with no restrictions.

What are the limitations for flying a light sport airplane? Strictly
61.303 and 61.315 conditions only or are there other things I can do?
What about a 4-place fixed gear single engine (with or without cs prop)
airplane? Can I carry passengers?

Lotsa questions. The answers will help me set my expectations for a
return to flying and also to help in creating a list of possible kit planes.

Thanks in advance for the comments.

Old January 4th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 21:21:46 -0600, Cal Vanize
wrote:

I've read Part 61. Its more than a little confusing. I understand the
limitations of a sport pilot flying under a "driver's license" medical.
That part is pretty clear. I currently hold an "old" commercial
license with an instrument rating and have quite a few hours. I don't
hold a current medical, but would probably qualify after an appeal
(there might be a couple of "disqualifying" conditions for which I am
being successfully treated). My health is otherwise very good.

Am I playing the lottery by thinking that I can get a medical?

If your previous medical merely expired, you can fly as a Sport Pilot without
having to renew it. If it had been revoked, you have to do the work to get at
least a third class back.

In the same way, if you try to get a medical *now*, and flunk, you can't fly as
a Sport Pilot until you earn the medical back. So if Sport gives you sufficient
privileges for the kind of flying you want to do, I wouldn't risk taking the
medical.

What are the limitations for flying a light sport airplane? Strictly
61.303 and 61.315 conditions only or are there other things I can do?
What about a 4-place fixed gear single engine (with or without cs prop)
airplane? Can I carry passengers?

Anyone with a pilot's license can fly a Light Sport Airplane. If the airplane
meets the basic performance requirements Light Sport, then those people with
Sport Pilot licenses can fly it as well.

While it's aimed at the Fly Baby driver, this article summarizes the situation:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/lsa.html

One cannot fly a four-seat aircraft under Sport Pilot, even if the other seats
are not occupied. You're limited to, "A maximum seating capacity of no more
than two persons, including the pilot."

See http://www.sportpilot.org/eligible_aircraft.html to check if a particular
type qualifies.

Ron Wanttaja
Old January 4th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Cal Vanize" wrote in message

I've read Part 61. Its more than a little confusing. I understand the
limitations of a sport pilot flying under a "driver's license" medical.
That part is pretty clear. I currently hold an "old" commercial license
with an instrument rating and have quite a few hours. I don't hold a
current medical, but would probably qualify after an appeal (there might
be a couple of "disqualifying" conditions for which I am being
successfully treated). My health is otherwise very good.

Am I playing the lottery by thinking that I can get a medical?

Only you and your non AME (and your wallet) can tell you that. The advise
has been given, that you go to a flight surgeon that also does a regular
practice, and ask for a physical, but not a medical. He could then tell you
if you would have problems. Make sure that this is not the same doctor that
you would go to for your flight medical.

But lets assume that I don't care to go after a 3rd or 2nd class medical
and that I hold a commercial ticket (CASEMELI). I have a diver's license
with no restrictions.

What are the limitations for flying a light sport airplane? Strictly
61.303 and 61.315 conditions only or are there other things I can do?

No flying for hire, unless you check out as a SP instructor. VFR only,
daylight only. Only.

What about a 4-place fixed gear single engine (with or without cs prop)
airplane? Can I carry passengers?

Sport Plane only. Ground adjustable prop, or fixed. Max continouous speed
of 120 knots. One passenger only, piston only, maximum gross weight of 1320
lbs, max altitude of 10,000 feet. You would be good to go with a current
BFR, and the right plane. Note that it could be equipped for night flight,
or instrument flight, but using a drivers liscense medical, you could not do
those things.

Lotsa questions. The answers will help me set my expectations for a return
to flying and also to help in creating a list of possible kit planes.

Take a look at http://www.sportpilot.org/ and you will find most of the
answers you are looking for, there.

I hope you find your way back into the air, one way or the other. Unless
you really need to fly at night and with instruments, or a bigger plane,
this could be a fun, inexpensive way to commit aviation.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 4th 06, 11:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Cal Vanize" wrote in message

Am I playing the lottery by thinking that I can get a medical?

I suggest you go to a good AME and invest in a "non aviation" consultation.
If he has the authority to approve "an application like what yours would be" and
immediately issue a certificate, then he should tell you. If your application
would have to go up to the FAA for approval, I would think twice. You can also
get good information on this subject from AOPA if you are a member.

Vaughn

Old January 4th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Cal Vanize wrote:

[...]

Thanks to all for your feedback and clarification. Looks like I'm going
to be a light sport pilot!! Maybe try to regain my flight instructor
ticket in light sport. There might even be enough demand to help pay
for some of my fun, but I won't quit my "day" job. ;-)