Sport Pilot Flight Instructor

Old May 15th 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Deger

Default Sport Pilot Flight Instructor

I am currently flying a Taylorcraft under light sport rules and I do not
have a medical. Looking at the regs, it looks like I could become a light
sport instructor without a medical. Is this correct? I would love to
teach my daughter how to fly.

Danny Deger

Old May 15th 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

On 2008-05-15, Danny Deger wrote:
I am currently flying a Taylorcraft under light sport rules and I do not
have a medical. Looking at the regs, it looks like I could become a light
sport instructor without a medical. Is this correct? I would love to
teach my daughter how to fly.

Yup, it's correct. I've been idly pondering the same thing. I meet all the
requirements except for the time as PIC of an LSA, and that'll get fixed in
a few weeks...
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old May 15th 08, 05:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_3_]

Danny Deger wrote:
I am currently flying a Taylorcraft under light sport rules and I do not
have a medical. Looking at the regs, it looks like I could become a
light sport instructor without a medical. Is this correct? I would
love to teach my daughter how to fly.

I'd say contact the FDSO just to be sure, but, I think you're correct:

14 CFR 61.23c(iii) states:
" (c) Operations requiring either a medical certificate or U.S. driver's
license. (1) A person must hold and possess either a valid medical
certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or a current and valid
U.S. driver's license when exercising the privileges of
(iii) A flight instructor certificate with a sport pilot rating while
acting as pilot in command or serving as a required flight crewmember of
a light-sport aircraft other than a glider or balloon."

Then it seems to indicate that as long as you passed your last medical,
never took a medical, and/or didn't have your medical revoked, you're
good to go:

" (2) A person using a current and valid U.S. driver's license to meet
the requirements of this paragraph must—
(i) Comply with each restriction and limitation imposed by that person's
U.S. driver's license and any judicial or administrative order applying
to the operation of a motor vehicle;
(ii) Have been found eligible for the issuance of at least a third-class
airman medical certificate at the time of his or her most recent
application (if the person has applied for a medical certificate);
(iii) Not have had his or her most recently issued medical certificate
(if the person has held a medical certificate) suspended or revoked or
most recent Authorization for a Special Issuance of a Medical
Certificate withdrawn; and
(iv) Not know or have reason to know of any medical condition that would
make that person unable to operate a light-sport aircraft in a safe manner."

-c