Formation flying

Old September 13th 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Formation flying

I was told by one CFII that when there is a formation flight of
different performance aircraft that the slower plane should be in the
lead. Reason was that the faster plane can always keep up. Another
CFII (ex AF) said just the opposite - that the faster plane can just
throttle back. I don't remember if he had any other reason. What is
correct here??

Regards,
Jerry
Old September 13th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

wrote:
I was told by one CFII that when there is a formation flight of
different performance aircraft that the slower plane should be in the
lead. Reason was that the faster plane can always keep up. Another
CFII (ex AF) said just the opposite - that the faster plane can just
throttle back. I don't remember if he had any other reason. What is
correct here??

Regards,
Jerry

The thing with formation flying is for lead to give back some power to
the slowest aircraft in the formation. The rest will be interpolating
between these two end parameters.
Can't speak for all aircraft as each type will have different numbers
but using the P51 for example ( only because I remember the
numbers....or at least I think I remember them anyway :-),
On takeoff, say a two plane section, lead will use about 50 inches,
leaving the wingman (depending on the fuel being used) either a 5 inch
spread if 100LL is in the tanks, or for the lawyers among us who are the
only people on the planet who can afford the high octane fuel, an 11
inch spread to the wingman.
Lead will climb out at around 35 and 2300, again giving power back down
to the wingman to use for holding position.
Cruise for lead is around 31 inches at 2300 RPM...same reason; to allow
the wing to maintain position.
If the winman is any good at all, he'll use yo yo'ing and arcing instead
of throttle jockying to hold position if needed. Depends on the
formation being held and how loose the wing position parameters are. If
a rigid position required, lead will fly very smoothly and call the changes.

Sorry for the Mustang reference if a J3 was required :-) Just lower the
numbers a bit and think yellow! :-))

--
Dudley Henriques
Old September 14th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article
,
wrote:

I was told by one CFII that when there is a formation flight of
different performance aircraft that the slower plane should be in the
lead. Reason was that the faster plane can always keep up. Another
CFII (ex AF) said just the opposite - that the faster plane can just
throttle back. I don't remember if he had any other reason. What is
correct here??

Regards,
Jerry

I do it regularly either way. As Dudley remarks, the faster plane ahs to
give up some power so the slowest plane can keep up.

The easiest way to join up is a circling joinup. Join speed has to be a
part of the preflight briefing -- all planes in the formation flying
that speed until joined. The joining plane flies the inside of the
circle, keeping the top of the lead's vertical fin on his opposite
wingtip until getting in close.

The chasing joinup is more difficult, as those catching up have to have
more speed ("smash") until closing in, then getting rid of excess smash.

Again, the faster planes have to be aware of the others' performance
limitations. One should never be afraid of asking, "Lead, give me an
inch (or more)".

Formation flying blog Bob Fry Piloting 0 May 15th 07 05:22 PM
Formation Flying Course flyernzl Piloting 0 September 8th 05 09:44 AM
Formation Flying Slick Piloting 14 March 8th 05 02:42 PM
Formation flying Bingo Home Built 21 August 23rd 04 12:51 AM
Formation flying Paul Sengupta Piloting 10 June 21st 04 10:54 PM