Co-pilot gets sick, stewardess helps land airplane

Old June 21st 10, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Hatunen

Default Co-pilot gets sick, stewardess helps land airplane

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 08:47:12 -0700 (PDT), a
wrote:

On Jun 21, 10:55*am, "JohnT" wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

Hatunen writes:

Cessna makes or made (I don't recall the current structure of the
personal aircraft inudstry) some heavier aircraft than the 150s I
used to fly. Including some Jets (the Citation line).

Yes. I fly a Citation X on my trusty sim all the time. But flying jets is
expensive, and one need not do so for a CPL. Indeed, it might well be the
other way around: CPL, then jets.

Playing a computer game doesn't make you an expert.
--
JohnT

Perhaps not, John, but I expect the reality is few people flying real
jets in the civilian world are holding only private licenses with the
appropriate type rating.

It's quite possible that one could have one's own private jet and
fly it with a private license. One would have to have an
endorsement for the jet, however. don't confuse flying a jet with
flying an airliner in airline service, which requires an ATR.

Now here is a question that really displays my ignorance: what
certificates do military pilots hold? Are those certificates issued by
the FAA?

No, I don't believe so.

Old June 21st 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 21, 1:52*pm, wrote:
In rec.aviation.piloting wrote:

On Jun 21, 11:14*am, "JohnT" wrote:
"a" wrote in message

On Jun 21, 10:55 am, "JohnT" wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

. ..

Hatunen writes:

[...]

The RAF.
--
JohnT- Hide quoted text -

Is it the RAF or FAA?

http://forms.faa.gov/forms/faa8710-1a.pdf

See block B

That's to get your military training recognized by the FAA for a civilian
certificate.

So to expand on A's question, without that recognition, can the
military pilot fly a C152 for civilian purposes or do are they
required to complete the above form and get a FAA certificate issued
by the FAA to fly in the patch?

Would seem then the original question that A asked

"Now here is a question that really displays my ignorance: what
certificates do military pilots hold? Are those certificates issued by
the FAA?"

I would have answered this question that it would be potentially FAA
issued certificate provided the military person complete the 8710?
Old June 21st 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:
On Jun 21, 1:52Â*pm, wrote:
In rec.aviation.piloting wrote:

On Jun 21, 11:14Â*am, "JohnT" wrote:
"a" wrote in message

On Jun 21, 10:55 am, "JohnT" wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

. ..

Hatunen writes:

[...]

Military aircraft are operated based on military "certificates".

Civilian aircraft are operated based on FAA certificates.

If a C152 has a N number, the pilot has to have a FAA certificate.

If a C152 has a USAF tail number, the pilot has to have a USAF "certificate".

"Now here is a question that really displays my ignorance: what
certificates do military pilots hold? Are those certificates issued by
the FAA?"

I would have answered this question that it would be potentially FAA
issued certificate provided the military person complete the 8710?

All military "certificates" to operate military equipment are independent
of any civilian requirements to operate such equipment.

All civilian "certificates" to operate civilian equipment are independent
of any military requirements to operate such equipment.

It doesn't matter whether that equipment is an airplane, motor vehicle,
radio transmitter, or anything else that requires some sort of official
authorization to operate.

The form in question only provides a method for a military trained person
to satisfy the training requirements to apply for a civilian certificate.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old June 21st 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Jun 21, 11:55*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
brian whatcott writes:
You can fly any type of aircraft at all on a private license.

Surprise, surprise!

Where's the surprise?

The surprise is that after all this time here you don't know that you
can fly aircraft up to a certain weight on a basic PPL.
Old June 21st 10, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jun 21, 4:22*pm, wrote:

Military aircraft are operated based on military "certificates".

Civilian aircraft are operated based on FAA certificates.

If a C152 has a N number, the pilot has to have a FAA certificate.

If a C152 has a USAF tail number, the pilot has to have a USAF "certificate".

Gotchya, thanks for this clarification.
Old June 21st 10, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Jun 21, 5:22*pm, wrote:
wrote:
On Jun 21, 1:52*pm, wrote:
In rec.aviation.piloting wrote:

On Jun 21, 11:14*am, "JohnT" wrote:
"a" wrote in message

On Jun 21, 10:55 am, "JohnT" wrote:
"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

. ..

Hatunen writes:

[...]

Thanks. I suspected that but did not know the certificate issue
extended beyond airplanes.

As an aside, I heard a talk some years ago given by a man who
commanded a bomber squadron during WW II. He had entered the Army Air
Corps as a very young man but time and events forced him to grow up
quickly.

He had an opportunity to go home on leave towards the end of the war:
remember, this was a guy who was leading a group flying bombers over
Germany.

He asked to borrow the family car: couldn't have it, he did not have a
driver's license!

We are rapidly running out of "The Greatest Generation". Should you be
lucky enough to know some of the remaining ones, remember to say
"Thank You."

Old June 22nd 10, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

george writes:

The surprise is that after all this time here you don't know that you
can fly aircraft up to a certain weight on a basic PPL.

But I do know that. How is that relevant here?
Old June 22nd 10, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mxsmanic

JohnT writes:

Playing a computer game doesn't make you an expert.

Neither does flying a real-world Cessna 172.
Old June 22nd 10, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

a writes:

As an aside, I heard a talk some years ago given by a man who
commanded a bomber squadron during WW II. He had entered the Army Air
Corps as a very young man but time and events forced him to grow up
quickly.

He had an opportunity to go home on leave towards the end of the war:
remember, this was a guy who was leading a group flying bombers over
Germany.

He asked to borrow the family car: couldn't have it, he did not have a
driver's license!

A tank driver in the war would not have been able to borrow the family
airplane, either.
Old June 22nd 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.travel.air,rec.arts.movies.past-films,rec.arts.tv,alt.gossip.celebrities
Mxsmanic

Hatunen writes:

It's quite possible that one could have one's own private jet and
fly it with a private license.

Yes, but the fact remains that hardly anyone does this. John Travolta does it.
Arnold Palmer does it, too. Harrison Ford can do it, but I'm not sure if he
actually owns a jet. Lorenzo Lamas simply has a CPL, though (and I don't know
if he owns a jet, either).

Private pilots are a tiny elite to begin with. The ones who are also certified
to fly jets and have their own jets to fly are so rare that they're scarcely
on the radar, QED.