Aircraft Instrument Books?

Old November 28th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Default Aircraft Instrument Books?

Does anyone know if there are (or have been) any books written about
aircraft instrumentation? I recall reading short blurbs in biographies
of Sperry and Kollsman about the instruments they invented, but I've
never seen a book entirely devoted to aircraft instrumentation (with
details on how they worked).

-John

Old November 28th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Try this: http://www.actechbooks.com/aircraft_electricity_.htm

It's mostly electrical systems, but has sections on instruments and
autopilots. Also the AC's 65-15 and 65-9 have basic instrument info,
but most A&P related texts don't have a lot of data because A&P's
cannot repair or alter instruments. Most detailed descriptions are
found in the manufacturer's manuals.

Jim

Old November 28th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Thanks for the link, Jim. It's not quite what I was looking for, but
I'll see if I can locate a copy to look through before I plunk down
$70. I'll also check out AC 65-19 and 65-9. I think manufacturer's
manuals would be overkill, judging from a Kollsman manual on altimeters
I ran across a while back.

What my ideal would be is a book on flight instruments similar to
Graham White's "Allied Aircraft Piston Engines of World War II".

-John

Old November 28th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Jim,

I poked around on the web site you gave, and found another site with a
book that might be just what I need:
http://www.buildersbooks.com/aircraf...nics.htm?32,69
Thanks for your help!

-John

Old November 28th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_1_]

jcarlyle wrote:
Jim,

I poked around on the web site you gave, and found another site with a
book that might be just what I need:
http://www.buildersbooks.com/aircraf...nics.htm?32,69
Thanks for your help!

My copy of Derek Piggot's "Gliding" (7th edition) has a chapter (about
17 pages) on the instruments (ASI, altimeter, vario, T&S, compass,
artificial horizon). For each it described briefly how it operates and
rather more on its accuracy and limitations, with most space devotes to
varios and the compass.

This might be less detail than you want, but "Gliding" is probably a
cheaper book and worth checking out because of that.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old November 28th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Thanks, Martin. I've got the 8th edition of Gliding, and it is less
detail than I was looking for. I appreciate the tip, though!

-John