gpa a factor after graduation?

Old November 21st 03, 07:05 AM
sibersmith

Default gpa a factor after graduation?

Hey guys it's me again.

How big of a factor is GPA in getting a good aerospace job at a cool
company? The line "...Do good in school" is always given in advice
when I was growing up. To tell the truth I was holding a decent
3.3gpa untill I hit my math sequence at college. Now I have no more
'breeze' classes (history etc) to prop up my gpa and it's killing me.
I'm problobly around a 2.3 now.

This really bums me out. I went into Aerospace cause I wanted the job
of my dreams designing aircraft. Nobodys gona hire a medocree looser
that doesn't excell in math.

So how Important is a good GPA when looking for a job?
Old November 21st 03, 02:03 PM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
(sibersmith) writes:
Hey guys it's me again.

How big of a factor is GPA in getting a good aerospace job at a cool
company? The line "...Do good in school" is always given in advice
when I was growing up. To tell the truth I was holding a decent
3.3gpa untill I hit my math sequence at college. Now I have no more
'breeze' classes (history etc) to prop up my gpa and it's killing me.
I'm problobly around a 2.3 now.

This really bums me out. I went into Aerospace cause I wanted the job
of my dreams designing aircraft. Nobodys gona hire a medocree looser
that doesn't excell in math.

So how Important is a good GPA when looking for a job?

Well, having done both the Good GPA thing, and the Bad GPA thing, it's
always better to go for the Good GPA. But don't take that as a sign
of failure. You're young yet - it looks monstrous now, but, if you
can make the right decisions, it's a hiccup rather than a barrier.
It's all in how you handle it.

Think of it as a test of haw hard you want to follow that path.
You've got a wide range of options available to you - you can take
classes again, find tutoring sessions, ask for assistance, and
otherwise concentrate your efforts in areas where you need to get up
to speed. Are you committed to some sort of timetable for graduation?
Stretching things out a bit might help.
It can be done, it you're committed enough, and push hard enough.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster
Old November 21st 03, 07:30 PM
WaltBJ

Having been connected with airline training and selection in the past
- here goes. All the job applicants look alike. Clean, neat, dark
suit, sober ties, polished shoes, haircuts, mostly college grads, so
what is left? GPA is one of the distinguishing factors. Another factor
is 'desire to fly'. I recall one instance where two Ivy college grads
were rejected in favor of a comunity college (two year) grad simply
because the Ivy guys presented the attitude that they were doing the
compnay a favor in allowing themselves to be hired. OTH the 2-year kid
was like an eager puppy dog; he wanted to fly and exhibited the
willingness to take any flight anywhere any time in any conditions.
As for math - in my first attempt at college I never let homework take
precedence over sports and surfing . . . with predictable results.
Later on I discovered that if you ask questions and do the homework
college math is easy . . .Duh!
Walt BJ

Old November 25th 03, 04:15 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

You're young yet

Some bits of further advice. Pick one or more, take them to heart,
and discard those that don't apply.

Take a few years, work for a living, join the service, whatever.
Older, returning students who come back ready to focus on something
they want are famous for doing better than barely-adults who go
galloping off in all directions. (Especially if one of those
directions is toward the nearest party. Nothing personal; I'm just
trying to cover all bases.)

When the right opportunity comes up, take a course or two at whatever
college or trade school suits your fancy and REALLY APPLY YOURSELF.
This does more than convey facts and skills. It builds confidence at
the school game (something you're doubtless sorely lacking just now,
having at best fought your coursework to an armed truce and at worst
gotten your butt kicked), and keeps you in practice at kicking your
friends out, turning off the game, and cracking the books.

Talk to the advisors at said institution about what tests you can take
to find out whether your problem was nothing more or less than an
inadequate foundation for college-level math and engineering. Some
friends who went the faculty route can and do just go ON and on and on
about how much time they spend teaching remedial high school -- maybe
you came in behind the curve and never caught up.

Don't let middle-class circumstance put the golden handcuffs on you.
You are a work in progress and can drive an old car and live in a
smaller place while saving money and building skills for the
completion. These days, holding onto that attitude through an
advanced degree (once you have a vision of what that degree should be
in, of course) has a lot to recommend it.

Said vision is important. All this may reinforce your desire to
become an aircraft designer and prepare yourself for that rather hard
major. Or maybe you'll discover that you're happier and better suited
for another profession or trade -- where is it written that at 18 you
know what you want to do? This may be in the aerospace field or not;
it may consist of pushing a mouse around a desk or not.

Maybe the reason for your poor performance was personal. Maybe it was
inadequate preparation. Or maybe it was your inner self recoiling at
the difference between what you imagined the profession to be about
and what it really is about. Well, the world needs aerospace
engineers, and also aerospace machinists, history teachers, chefs, the
good honest car mechanic everybody seems to have so much trouble
finding, veterinarians, and a thousand other things.

Just keep in mind that the result of your education thus far is a
setback and something you'll have to explain now and then for a while,
but it is not a disaster. Work hard and you'll probably find
yourself able to direct people's focus toward the things you excelled
in as a focused and disciplined adult, not the things you fumbled the
first few years out of high school.

And it'll be good practice in case you realize many years from now
that Act II (or III) of your adulthood calls for another rethinking
and/or another increment of formal education. Maybe "completion of a
work in progress" wasn't the right thing to say earlier -- "completion
of the present phase" is more like it; and the designers are
notorious for barging in unexpectedly with a new set of prints.

One man's opinions, worth what you paid if your connect time is cheap,
--Joe
Old November 21st 03, 04:28 PM
Tarver Engineering

"sibersmith" wrote in message
Hey guys it's me again.

How big of a factor is GPA in getting a good aerospace job at a cool
company? The line "...Do good in school" is always given in advice
when I was growing up. To tell the truth I was holding a decent
3.3gpa untill I hit my math sequence at college. Now I have no more
'breeze' classes (history etc) to prop up my gpa and it's killing me.
I'm problobly around a 2.3 now.

This really bums me out. I went into Aerospace cause I wanted the job
of my dreams designing aircraft. Nobodys gona hire a medocree looser
that doesn't excell in math.

So how Important is a good GPA when looking for a job?

If you had dragged down your gpa with general ed you might have some wiggle
room, but all those cs and ds in math and engineering courses probably mean
you should look outside engineering for a job.

Old November 21st 03, 09:36 PM
WDA

I agree!

Forty-one years in aerospace has shown the need for really good mathematics
comprehension, including some math fields you may have to learn on your own
since you probably will never heard of them in undergrad school.

Good luck

WDA

end

Old November 21st 03, 04:54 PM
Tex Houston

"sibersmith" wrote in message
This really bums me out. I went into Aerospace cause I wanted the job
of my dreams designing aircraft. Nobodys gona hire a medocree looser
that doesn't excell in math.

So how Important is a good GPA when looking for a job?

If this is an example of your work you might put in some extra hours of
study in English. Just using a spellchecker would help.

This is not a criticism per se but is given to you to show that the whole
package is important. Peter's advice is very sound. That said, are you
planning to design military aircraft?

Tex Houston

Old November 21st 03, 05:15 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Tex Houston" wrote in message

"sibersmith" wrote in message
This really bums me out. I went into Aerospace cause I wanted the job
of my dreams designing aircraft. Nobodys gona hire a medocree looser
that doesn't excell in math.

So how Important is a good GPA when looking for a job?

If this is an example of your work you might put in some extra hours of
study in English. Just using a spellchecker would help.

Nope, the low math grades pretty well disqualify him from engineering.
There are plenty of places where he could make a good living with the 2.3,
however. The only thing that would help is if he is one of those "worked
through school". If family paid, or there were loans, forget engineering.

This is not a criticism per se but is given to you to show that the whole
package is important. Peter's advice is very sound. That said, are you
planning to design military aircraft?

Peter has no clue at all.

Old November 21st 03, 05:19 PM
OXMORON1

Who was it woh said..."The world is run by C students" or something to that
effect?

Oxmoron1